Rarest Target CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Sorry about the fuzzy pic, but this should give you an idea, found this a couple of weeks ago..
    [​IMG]

billnunan, mdm08033, Dave S and 3 others like this.
  2. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I liked that Randy Newman target in your picture. Found it for a reasonable price on Discogs. Ordered it. And the seller sent me a generic early 90’s German pressing. :cussing:

That was a big disappointment. Luckily he refunded me completely. But I would have prefered having the disc.

Dave S likes this.
  3. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Whoa. Scarce paint.

Dave S likes this.
  4. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yeah, it's a nice looking one as well.:D

5. Uncle Meat

It makes me want to lean to one side ?
    Is this common ?

6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I was kinda fortunate and found a reasonable priced one from a German seller. I think I paid the same amount again for the two discs either side of the Newman target. Hank Williams, Jr. Greatest Hits was a cheap purchase from an UK seller (it also happens to be a rare PDO version). Allies I got from a local record store (who appear to think it's still the 1990s as far as prices go; you have to think twice before purchasing).

Yost likes this.
  7. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

The crosshairs do vary from release to release, but it's unusual for them to vary that much. In fact, I've never seen such a wild swing.

Uncle Meat likes this.
  8. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I did acquire this one from an UK seller some months back (including obi). I was pretty please with myself.

9. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

Dumb question but what is a "target cd" exactly?

Stephen J likes this.
  10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I feel like I saw the same line recently here.:)

What are Target CDs?*

11. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

In a nutshell, they are CDs made by WEA (Warner/Elektra/Atlantic) in the early days of compact discs, basically from around 1983 - 1986. They are called "targets" because the design on the face of the disc looks similar to the view one has looking through a gun sighting or crosshairs.

Some people collect "target" CDs because of the following reasons:

1) They are old, from the early days of CDs, so to many of us who are now older or just plain old, they bring a nostalgic flavor, revive memories of when we were young and were excited by the introduction of compact discs.

In my case, it was cool to find out that many of the CDs i bought between 1984-1986 and have had for over 30 years are "targets".

2) They are often first-gen CD masterings, which many consider to have superior dynamic ranges and more-faithful 'flat' transfers than later "remastered" versions which are often compressed or have been otherwise fiddled with in undesirable ways.

3) Some of the "target" designs are quite pretty, with aesthetically pleasing color combinations.

4) While some targets were made in the USA, many were made in Japan, France, and West Germany for the USA market, before CDs were made in the USA, so they have an "import cool" factor. Heck, I like seeing ones from West Germany, since that country doesn't even exist anymore.

Many of the "target" CDs are of classical and jazz recordings, but many pop albums of the time have target CD versions as well. If they were on WEA, there's a good chance they have a target CD from that era.

Rock66, kitt1987, snowman872 and 4 others like this.
  12. Yost

There’s also one without the grey paint. At least, I saw it on eBay last week.

13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

There are actually silver stock (without the grey paint) and grey targets made predominately for the North American market. I don't suppose any of the Japan made Chaka Khan targets are real common. The WG target appears easier to find, especially in Europe.

14. Yost

Yes, I think so too. I do have a WG target that I found just browsing in thrift store. I don’t like the album enough to check out a Japanese version too.

15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Understandable. The Japan target was quite reasonably priced, although not advertised as such. I kinda guessed it was the target from the matrix number. There was recently a Japan for Japan Face Value with obi on ebay, but the seller switched to a BIN and someone else bought it.

16. WiWavelength

WiWavelength Forum Resident

We can call that PolyGram West Germany target Eileen. And if it were instead a Japan for US target, it would be called Irene.

AJ

Uncle Meat likes this.
  17. Yost

I have the Face Value Japanese Target. Just love the colour of it. But mine is without OBI.

18. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Mine is also without an obi, but I'm always after an upgrade.

Yost likes this.
  19. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

I appreciate the explanation, thanks! :) Now I don't feel like so much the village idiot!

20. Uncle Meat

I had a pretty good day yesterday, found three Targets at one time for five bucks each...
    Emmylou Harris Best of II
    The Who Its Hard
    ZZ Top Eliminator

21. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Nice haul.

22. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

The ZZ Top target was one of my first new CD purchases when it first came out. Always thought it sounded pretty good and fortunately still have it.

c-eling and Dan Steely like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.