Rascals cancel shows - what's up?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vivatones, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I looked at some of the other cities. Mohegan Sun aside, some of the others I saw seemed somewhat more aligned with Port Chester. Expensive floor and a lot of upper level seats looked around $50/$60+ish.

If I lived in Boston, I probably would've gone to one.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes, $100 is too high for me...I'm spoiled from the old days...when I saw them for free in the NYC vicinity or at a very reasonable....My Lawyer friend is a close friend of Eddie.

3. Michael

:D

4. Michael

please let us know how they were.:)

5. wayved

wayved Guest

Man....their music brought so much happiness to music lovers everywhere.

6. houston

houston Forum Resident

4 Atlanta shows is ridiculous....no shows booked outside of the east coast? and these prices? the promotor belongs in the "drugged performers" thread

7. wayved

wayved Guest

I agree.

8. or the little rascals

9. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

We got excellent seats for Mohegan Sun. $50 face value, IIRC. Not sure how ticket sales are going, because there will be comps, as usual for that venue.

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Surprised to read all the prices. Cheap seats in philly tonight are $24

11. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

otay

sewerdog likes this.
  12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's a ticket scalping site. If you go to Ticketmaster, you'll see that apparently all the Mohegan tickets are $45:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/the-ras...ajorcatid=10001&artistid=1305055&minorcatid=1

13. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

14. Oatsdad

As I noted above, people are citing scalpers for the higher prices - those aren't face value.

The highest face tickets I can find are $210 for what appears to be the first 10 rows center in Boston.

I think most of the tickets are in the $50 to $80 range.

I do believe they bit off more than they can chew. I looked at the ticket maps for July 5 in NJ and June 26 in Boston and there are acres of available seats.

The Rascals just don't seem to have a big audience at this point but they're playing places too big or trying for too many shows at smaller venues...

15. Oatsdad

16. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I plead ignorance on tickets. Lived here too long here with nothing but the state fair. Fargo is five hours away. Went to a UND football game once that's it.

17. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

From everything I've heard and been reading, this would have worked so much better if they had taken the "Jersey Boys" route and just stayed on Broadway. Better yet, they could have gotten an off-Broadway house and booked it for a long run. If a Dusty Springfield songbook play could run there for months, no reason The Rascals couldn't have done same. Build up word of mouth and take it from there. Somebody got over ambitious.

18. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I was excited to go see them in Boston, but the price of the tickets - and the fact that I was required to buy at least two - made that impossible for me. Very disappointing.

19. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

But remember they're the original band- one of the few (maybe the only one?) whose members are still all alive and on tour. That makes them pretty unique.

20. Oatsdad

You can get balcony for $56 - dunno if that's still too steep. And you don't have to buy two - you can get singles.

Here's the TM link - still tons of seats available!

http://www.ticketmaster.com/the-ras...rtistid=1305055&majorcatid=10001&minorcatid=1

21. Oatsdad

I don't think anyone's saying they wouldn't be worthwhile to see play. I just think it's abundantly clear they're not a big draw. Their heyday was a very long time ago and unlike the Monkees or some other 60s bands, I don't think they've maintained a presence in the general public mindset. The average person might recognize a couple of songs on the radio but that's about it. There's just not much name recognition for a mass audience, and the fact that these shows are selling poorly supports the notion that there's not much of a ticket-buying audience for them...

2trackmind, RobMac and Bill like this.
  22. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

I don't think they've been wiped out of the publics memory. I'd get it if this were a Gary Lewis & the Playboys reunion situation but not the Rascals. Even younger kids today get routinely fed Good Lovin', Groovin', and "People Got To Be Free" thanks to oldies radio, DJ's at family parties, and placement on TV/film. The ticket prices are too big to be playing arenas in 2nd and 3rd markets. The people who lost tickets to Charlotte and Charleston would've likely bought them for Atlanta.

23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Will this be the final 60's act to tour with all originals?

I think Cream and Simon & Garfunkel are done.

24. Oatsdad

I never said the band was "wiped from the public's memory" - I just don't think they have great name recognition among the general public. Just because people recognize a few hit songs doesn't mean they know who MADE those songs, and I don't believe that there's a big audience of people who will know what the Rascals did and want to pay to see them.

Based on ticket sales, I kinda think I'm right! :shrug:

JoeRockhead and apple-richard like this.
  25. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Arg! I was hoping to see them at least once more somewhere along the way this summer. Loved the 2 shows I saw in Port Chester back in December. Maybe Mohegan Sun if I can fit it in.........
    ---------- Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.