Rascals cancel shows - what's up?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vivatones, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Hey pal, don't be greedy. :tsk: Some of us haven't had a chance to see them once yet. ;)

Urban Spaceman likes this.
  2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

ZZ Top formed in the 60s, and never broke up or changed members. And CSN will keep touring it seems. Could get a Nazz reunion one day.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Given the abundance of available tickets, I don't think you have to worry that Urban Spaceman will steal your seat! :D

Aftermath likes this.
  4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Wiki says ZZ did their first gig Feb 10th 1970 with the classic trio. What's the earliest material that still gets performed with regularity?

Golden Earring is worth a mention here as well.

Sonics and Guess Who have everyone still alive and while reunions are unlikely it's not impossible.

5. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

ZZ Top actually changed lineups several times before settling on the classic lineup. The original lineup (without Dusty or Frank) even released a single in 1969:

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Did the "full" 1969 lineup(missing unofficial member Ian Stewart) of the Rolling Stones were all in the same room at the O2 shows in December and a good chance for the shows next month.

7. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident

I would have hard time justifiying big money for tix to a Rascals show. They have two female background singers in the foreground and singing on every song, which is not anything the Rascals sounded like. They are there, though, to "help" Eddie hit those high notes he can no longer hit. As far as Eddie, not only is he struggling with many of the songs, they all are lowered several keys to accomodate and the songs wind up sounding a bit off.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The Rascals Broadway show did well enough that the promoters and maybe the band and their management let it all go to their heads. The truth is that this isn't a show that's going to play big venues for big money except in NYC...

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's interesting, though, when Eddie sings "How can I be sure" and the two backing vocalists answer "How can-a-can-can-a he be sure, uh huh, uh huh, uh huh?!!!" each time. It adds a certain gravitas to the line. Having them sing the Rolling Stones "I'm Free" as counterpoint to Felix's lead in People Got to Be Free is also unexpected.

10. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

the new york area shows will sell well. after all, that's their home turf. the promoters obviously didn't take that into consideration for other areas probably thinking that if they sold as many shows already there that they would do that well everywhere.

11. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Is the problem created by the high ticket prices exacerbated by the multi- night runs in each city, necessitated by the cost to transport and set up the sets and multi-media equipment?

12. wayved

wayved Guest

It they were coming to my state, I would see em. I would save up my lunch money for that. No doubt.

13. PHL Music

PHL Music New Member

I saw the Rascals' show in Philly -- twice. They did 3 shows here to nearly-full houses. I was at show #2 and found it so compelling that I went back. They were GREAT. Excellent musicianship, singing, and remember, this isn't just a concert -- it's a show, a story. The autobiographical parts of the show wove together the band members' stories with the music, and it also connected the music to the times... and to my youth as a child of the 60s. It was so good that I wasn't ready to let go after one performance and I bought tickets to their final show here and was transfixed all over again. I really can't say enough good things about "Once Upon A Dream," and I'm sorry that fans in NC & SC won't be able to see it. Maybe keep in touch with the band's schedule through their Facebook page & see if they'll be rescheduling. Ticket prices here ranged from $24 (for partially obstructed seats, meaning you'd have a pole in your line of sight) to $204 for front rows. Most good seats were around $79, which isn't pocket change, but for a show of this caliber it's well worth it. Check out the many YouTubes to see what I'm talking about.

14. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

They just announced a slew of nights in Toronto.....like ten or so, in
    August. I think that's about six too many, but time will tell.

15. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

Agreed. I saw them in NY and thought he was pretty weak. Felix was a force but the rest of the band looked like an oldies act (which is completely understandable).

16. Glenn Christense

Looking like an oldies band is understandable and I don't care about that. I can't imagine that Dino isn't still a monster drummer though because when they did the first reunion show he was still a killer .
    Your thoughts on him and Gene playing wise ?

17. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

There's GENESIS. All original members are still alive.

18. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I thought Dino was good as a drummer. Gene was fine and did his job on the songs but he didn't wow me or anything. I came at it from a different perspective because I was not a fan of the band before going to the show (my wife's company as tied into it). I was only familiar with the hits so I heard it from a fresh perspective.

If you were a fan before the show, I am sure it was great. When Felix took the lead, the music had force and was dynamic. For me, he was the biggest strength and Eddie was the biggest weakness. I would be happy to go see Felix play at a small club. Of the songs that I did not know, some of them had a real nice groove. From a negative point of view, some of them sounded like bad 60's flower power music that didn't age well.

19. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I was thinking even at height of their success, did the Rascals tour much outside of the Northeast? I may be wrong about that, but clearly there's a more Van Zandt-esque degree of enthusiasm in the the NYC area than say the upper Midwest? I'd like to see the show, but wouldn't pay more than $50 or 60 a ticket. And this from someone who actually knows about Peaceful World and Search and Nearness and thinks "See" is in the top 10 singles of all time.

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. maclen

maclen Senior Member

Saw the show last night in Atlanta.Really enjoyed it. I'm not a hardcore Rascals fan. Know all the hits but that's about it. I loved Little Steven's taped announcement before the show, "take all the pictures you like, tweet 'em whatever. We don't give a f**k". Felix sounded great as was his playing. Dino was solid and was very cool. He wore his glasses on his head the whole performance. I thought perhaps there would be an additional guitar player but Gene was the only one. He sounded good to my ears and was playing to the crowd all night. As somebody said before Eddie was weaker vocally than Felix but I've never seen anyone play tambourine more enthusiastically. I guess he played that way when he was young yes? I was getting a little worried about him. Not a slim guy. I did think he sounded alright if not up to the old days.

All the band looked like they were really enjoying themselves as was the crowd. I'd say the place was a bit over 2/3 filled. As I stated previously I scored half price tickets and when I arrived I ended up getting fourth row. I took a few videos on my camera but it was pretty loud and distorted upon playback. Lots of cool merch and a number of things signed by the band. There was a very nice coffee table book for sale with lots of nice pictures of the band I almost bought but I ended up with a signed poster. I'd recommend seeing this show if comes close to you. Oh one other thing there was a meet and greet at the Hard Rock Cafe the day before which I learned about too late. There was no fee to get in and all you had to do was give them your name to attend. There might have been a fee for pictures with the band, I don't know.

apple-richard likes this.
  21. Sunset Sam

That coffee table book is like $75.....unbelievable.

22. maclen

maclen Senior Member

The book is very pricey. But it is very nice.

23. Glenn Christense

For that price, does the book come with a coffee table ?

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Kramer.jpg

Hep Alien, Wade and Glenn Christense like this.
  25. Sunset Sam

I've never paid $75 for ANY book...and no amount of cool Rascals pix will be my start of that bad trend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.