Rascals cancel shows - what's up?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vivatones, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vjf1968

vjf1968 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Especially on a forum where folks buy multiple sets of the Beatles stereo and mono boxes or buying the same album on gold CDs to see which one sounds "the best". Heck, the "Recording The Beatles" book is $100 and consists of information only an recording engineer would find fascinating.

2. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

sonics only have 3 of the 5 originals in the reunion shows

3. JoeRockhead

To anyone who went to the Jones Beach or Holmdel NJ shows - how was the crowd capacity? i went to one of the shows on Broadway and thought it was great but thought they were overreaching with giant amphitheaters. I they they would have been better off selling out multiple nights at the Beacon and Newark PAC and those places would be better suited to this type of show. If I'm gonna overpay I prefer it to be at a nice tehater instead of a horrendous venue like Holmdel.

4. houston

houston Forum Resident

the 2 competing threads, the Monkees and the Rascals tells me a lot about each group and its fans... here, the conversation concerning the Rascals' tour had devolved into a meaningless spat over what 60's group has original members, how many, are they a going-concern, real ********...

the Monkees thread is discussing obscure rarities that might be played, history of the shows, the input from each member....stuff with meaning...

I think I'll go join that other thread now....and stay there

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

My friend went to the Jones Beach show. He's been to loads of shows there over the past 3 decades. He said that he can't remember so many empty seats for any show. The whole upper deck (or whatever that section is called) was barren. So not a good sell at an amphitheater even on their home turf. Arnie

JohnG likes this.
  6. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

Just curious how popular they were at their peak? And when was their peak? Could they sell out Madison Sq. Garden?

M

7. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Holmdel had a lot of empty seats, but sold enough tickets well beyond the usual theater size. All of the $150+ floor/center tickets sold....(I wasn't one of them). It was my first time going there since seeing Bob Dylan in 1991 (before the renovation).........it is a horrible place.

I prefer theaters too.....would love to see them at the State in New Brunswick.....but this show kept a lot of ticket prices somewhat lower.

JohnG likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Check out this site:
    http://www.angelfire.com/mi4/rascals/Dates.html

It doesn't list everything, but it does give you a good overview. Their peak had to be 1967-69, when they had their biggest hits, and they seem to be mostly playing clubs, theaters, and auditoriums. They did play some big arenas but mostly as part of multi-artist bills. Although they played the Fillmore and places like that, I don't think that they were fully able to throw off the "Young" Rascals tag, and the band was never accepted into the new rock scene of the late 60s. Arnie

9. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

On a different Rascals note.
    In a dump bin of budget CD's , I noticed on one Various Artists (Re-recorded) collection,
    one track, "Groovin' " credited to the New Rascals.
    Anybody know what's going here ?

10. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

11. Arnold Grove

So after the Rascals finish this tour, do they go back to suing each other and splitting into 2 factions again (Cornish/Danelli vs Cavaliere)? Arnie

12. wayved

wayved Guest

I will let my copy of ONCE UPON A DREAM do the talking. The last ten seconds of that record are beautiful enough to block out any of the animosity that I read about them, IMHO.

13. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I've wondered the same thing, given the current Beach Boys situation, and I really hope not. I think the best scenario would be the tour ending, the guys doing their "solo" things, and reconvening for more Rascals dates in the future.

14. LandHorses

I'm sure they're going to continue beyond these dates. They still have to go out west. LA and SF will draw big crowds.

15. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I had friends at the Seattle show, that was 4/5.

16. LandHorses

The Sonics were 3/5 in Brooklyn a few months ago.......
    Gerry Roslie, Larry Parypa, and Rob Lind.

They were great

JoeRockhead likes this.
  17. JoeRockhead

who was the 4th. they have the guitarist, sax guy and Roslie. The shows in the East and Midwest were only 3.

18. JoeRockhead

seemed liek an overreach when it was announced. At the Beacon, the same crowd could have filled a couple nights and generated a good buzz

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Bennett, came out for the encore in Seattle 2008.

20. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

Playing anywhere within 100 miles of Times Square weeks after 14 shows at a Broadway theatre seemed pretty boneheaded. The Rascals could never have filled that place anyway under almost any circumstance but a 20 buck ticket. The ticket prices for the Broadway shows kept me away and Jones Beach was no bargain plus a serious schlep as an added bonus.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They need to make a really good movie or video of the show before it vaporizes into nothingness. Perhaps in Los Angeles they can film a show at a nice theater, unless they try and book them into a stadium.

22. eb2jim

eb2jim Forum Resident

Damn straight, I would love to see The Rascals. The first lp - in mono - is a prized keeper. They were a great rocking live band back in the day, and unlike a lot of the 60's bands they had soul to boot.

I would love to have a NYC double header tour: Rascals and Vanilla Fudge. Talk about drummers worth a bucket of spit! That would kill!

23. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

A bit of a diversion for a little harmless trivia, and your knickers are in that much of a twist? Really?

Must be tough walking around with that steel rod stuck up there where the sun don't shine.

But hey, you got a chance to sniff haughtily and feel all superior. Hope it was good for you.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  24. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Rascals become big hitmakers in the mid, rather than late, '60s, which further thins the ranks of contemporaries with the original lineup still active.

25. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

I just wanna say your timeline is off by a year. They had their first hits in '66 and their last in '68. Although the hits of those years matched the Rolling Stones almost excatly in number and chart posision, as well as quality and rock credibility, I think their constant presence on the covers of tenny bopper mags made them uncool to the hip crowd. Their absence from Montery and Woodstock is unexplainable except that Sid Burnstein didn't know what he was doing. I don't recall them ever undertaking a sustained tour that may have built intrest in the band. According to one member they spent most their time in the studio and would fly somewhere for a weekend show. Also, by '67 their organ based sound was at odds with the lead guitar crazed rock fans. Although IMO they rank among the greatest bands, they were an AM band in an FM world by '68.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.