Rascals cancel shows - what's up?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vivatones, Jun 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What is your point?

2. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

worked for the Beach Boys!

3. JoeRockhead

at their peak no one played arenas, except maybe the Beatles

4. houston

houston Forum Resident

too late, the door did hit me in the ass..... forunately I had a whoopee cushion in the seat of my pants that absorbed the blow... ironically, it made squeaky sounds, to the tune of " people got to be free" :p

5. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

The Stones also played a lot of half empty arenas in '65 +'66. By the '69 tour they were selling them out.

6. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

The way you stunk up the joint with your previous post, the whoopee cushion was quite redundant.

7. I love the Rascals but its too rich for me. I do t even know if they are playing here and, based on that price, I wouldn't couldn't and shouldn't attend. Too bad it would have been fun.

8. houston

houston Forum Resident

are you saying my Whoopee cushion failed as a diaper?

9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Doors, Hendrix and Cream each played arenas in 1968.

Simon & Garfunkel played some big places. Tom Jones.

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, I should have said 1966. Your point about the band never doing a sustained tour was spot-on. That is probably the reason why they never crossed over into the FM world. Even in 1967, the Rascals were still doing shows at Action City, a music club in Brooklyn. And look a this weird show in Sept. 1968: Performance at final night of the Capitol Theater, New York, N.Y., with Bob Hope, Johnny Carson, Alan King, Jan Peerce, Leon Bibb, Billy Eckstine, Florence Henderson, The Carson Show Band, with MC Ed McMahon. That definitely would NOT be the way to cross over into the FM rock world. Arnie

bluemooze likes this.
  11. Manalishi

Manalishi With the 2-pronged crown

I don't know about that. Another forum member says 67--69 was their peak and if that's so, Hendrix and the Stones where playing arenas in that time frame (Boston Garden, MSG, etc.).

M

12. JoeRockhead

maybe 69 for both. hendrix was in arenas as an opening act in 1967 but no one was there to see him. stones played a handful of arenas pre 1969 but mostly topping a festival bill. plus many things called arenas then were about half the capacity of what became arena rock in the 70s. the stones in 66 played here in jersey at the Asbury Convention center, about 3,000 capacity.

13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I was considering seeing them, but between high prices and a venue whose sound is not kind to amplified music (Opera House in Boston) that I, too, passed. I had prime seats there for "The Book of Mormon" and could hardly make out any of the lyrics during the songs.

14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Lovin' Spoonful, Mama's Papas, Simon & Garfunkel and Dave Clark 5 played some arenas sized places in 66/67. I think Tom Jones did some arena stuff too including Maple Leaf Gardens.

15. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The only way that the Rascals will NOT be the last all-original mid-60s band to tour would be if the Meters did it again. And that's less likely as Art Neville has
    semi-retired.

I saw them in Boston and loved it, rough spots and all. Eddie's lost some range, but his voice is still pretty distinctive. Dino isn't as fast as before but he has a great groove. Loved the inclusion of obscure gems from the "See" era in the setlist. Only complaints are that I would've loved real horns instead of synth ones; and that "Once Upon a Dream" itself was represented by only one song.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. Paul W

Paul W Senior Member

I have tickets for Toronto.....and I agree, the prices were very high!

17. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Well, two if you count the title track and IT'S WONDERFUL.

Knowing that the shows have been cancelled makes this gem I got from their Albany show all the more special now:

1465716_650765551629277_1386320697_o.jpg

Urban Spaceman and bluemooze like this.
  18. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I grabbed this particular thread because it is the most trodden upon.
    There was going to be a whole sack of shows, stretching from December 16, 2013 to January 5, 2014, booked for the Marquis Theatre in NYC. Then this, from their Facebook page, December 2013:

Due to scheduling conflicts with Director, Writer, and Producer Stevie Van Zandt, the New York run for “Once Upon A Dream Starring The Rascals” has been cancelled at this time. The show’s producers extend their sincere apologies to ticketholders and fans for any inconvenience caused.
    The Producers hope to reschedule when Van Zandt's schedule, which involves balancing the filming of the third season of his Netflix show “Lilyhammer,” and touring with Bruce Springsteen among other things, stabilizes. Full refunds are available to those that purchased tickets through authorized retailers at the original point of sale.

On behalf of Team Felix Cavaliere's Rascals, we want to assure fans that in no way has our team intended to mislead anyone in concert advertisements. These tour dates are not The Rascals. It's recently been reported that we have been deceitful and we can assure you this is not the case. These tour dates are not The Rascals. We work with promoters and buyers on a daily basis. We corrected the problem within 24 hours.

There are many layers to the concert business, and sometimes the communication between a promoter and their graphic's department gets lost in translation. We certainly provide the promoters with all of the approved materials, and we do our best to police their use.

To all fans of The Rascals' music - keep rocking and spreading the love! Be sure to continue supporting the amazing music!

-Melissa Kucirek
    FELIX CAVALIERE'S RASCALS
    PROMOTION & PUBLICITY

Followed by this from The Rascals Facebook page, dated May 26, 2014:

- from DINO DANELLI-
    TO ALL RASCAL FANS

As a group the Rascals will not be touring in 2014.
    I wish Felix well on his tour this summer.

Everyone please STAY TUNED for my info about
    The RASCALS 50th ANNIVERSARY in 2015!!

and THANK YOU ALL
    FOR YOUR LOVE AND SUPPORT
    DURING OUR GLORIOUS RETURN
    IN 2013!!
    D.-

This begat this missive, found on the Felix Cavaliere's Rascals Facebook page, dated May 30, 2014:

On behalf of Team Felix Cavaliere's Rascals, we want to assure fans that in no way has our team intended to mislead anyone in concert advertisements. These tour dates are not The Rascals. It's recently been reported that we have been deceitful and we can assure you this is not the case. These tour dates are not The Rascals. We work with promoters and buyers on a daily basis. We corrected the problem within 24 hours.

There are many layers to the concert business, and sometimes the communication between a promoter and their graphic's department gets lost in translation. We certainly provide the promoters with all of the approved materials, and we do our best to police their use.

To all fans of The Rascals' music - keep rocking and spreading the love! Be sure to continue supporting the amazing music!

-Melissa Kucirek
    FELIX CAVALIERE'S RASCALS
    PROMOTION & PUBLICITY

Only time will tell what will happen next. I went to one of their shows in Toronto and it was the second best concert (bio-concert, actually) I've ever been to.

19. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes, I posted in a different Rascals thread recently that I assumed the original band was down for at least awhile because I had seen an ad for Felix Cavaliere's Rascals touring this summer.
    It's good to see that Dino has mentioned something may be happening next year for the bands 50th. I was afraid old issues had cropped up and they wouldn't be working together again.

20. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I read an interview with Felix where he hinted that some of the others didn't want to tour this year, but that "it was there if they want it".

It would be a shame if the momentum and sheer quality of performance they obtained in 2012-13 was allowed to just fade.

21. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

A year ago today, I had the extreme pleasure of seeing Once Upon a Dream in Toronto, ON. With the help on someone's upload on YouTube, I'm able to relive the three-song beginning of the show, albeit from one of the shows in NYC in 04/2013. They could still play! Which means they could always play! So, as Mr. Sullivan said, "Let's open the show with:

22. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Thanks for posting this. I hate that I missed their show in Chicago but if they come back around at some point I'm going to be there. As always, Dino is a drum god, walking the earth among mere drumming mortals.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.