Rate the albums you have listened to today

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrecrabtree, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Love this guy!

Mal likes this.
  2. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Van Halen - OU812 - WB 1988 gold stamped promo - 7/10 - better than I remembered, the acoustic drums + analog warmth really made me reevaluate this underrated gem. The cheesy lyrics are easily ignored, and MAN Michael Anthony was KILLING the bass guitar.

Buckingham/McVie- 2 LP mastered by Chris Bellman - 9/10, would be 10/10 if it had Stevie Nicks' participation...but let's not open that can of worms. Sonic masterpiece, fantastic playing + songwriting. *Sigh* Still a late period highwater mark.

ZZ Top - Tejas - original 1976 London Ardent Pressing - 10/10 - it's ZZ Top.

Miles Davis - RSD mono Ryan K Smith master - 10/10 - the calm before the storm.

3. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

10/10 The Beatles: Love

4. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

#1.Jan And Dean - Legendary Masters Series 2LP (1971)...

Along with pals Beach Boys & Dick Dale these guys were innovators of the California Surf Music sound of the early 1960s...

This set is a wonderful overview of the rocknroll duo & its a fun listen...

Performance - 9
    Sound - 8

#2.VU & Nico from the PSAS box set (1995)...

While not my fav master on CD it still is a good sound for the debut VU...

Performance - 10
    Sound - 8

#3.Boston s/t (1976) orig. SH preferred CD & he is correct this disc is closer to the vinyl than any other disc...

The band has no real personality & is as white as Beach Boys & Jan And Dean lest we forget the epitome of AOR but...

More Than A Feeling is one of rocks greatest singles & the whole record is fun to listen to....

1978s sophomore effort was good throughout...before the rot set in

Performance - 8
    Sound - 9

#4.Katie Webster - Two Fisted Mama (1986) is the Queen of Boogie Woogie at her best...

Her talent on piano & vocals is in fine form on this Alligator Records LP...

Performance - 10
    Sound - 10

5. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

Paul Simon - In The Blue Light = 3 pigs, 3 sheep and 2 wolves out of 10 animals at the zoo.

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water = 9 older-than-I-once-was/ 10 younger-than-I'll-bes.

David Bowie - Never Let Me Down 2018 = 0 Zeroes and 5 Glass Spiders for the 21st century.

David Bowie - Serious Moonlight = two red shoes and zero blues.

Steve Perry - Traces [Target] = 7/10, or 35/50 in that city by the bay. Enjoyed the vocals and music; nothing grabbed me lyrically until I was surprised by the cover of "I Need You" (I liked the arrangement).

steviebee likes this.
  6. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Laurie Anderson & Kronos Quartet: Landfall

Rating: exceptional. Beautiful, haunting performances and superb recording.

A Wizardess, A True Star.

7. DavidP

DavidP Forum Resident

A Nod is as Good as a Wink - Faces. 9/10. GREAT album. This one has been on heavy rotation the past few days. Memorized by the lads. Hooked on "Debris".

CSN - Crosby Stills Nash. 8/10. Haven't listened to this for a while. "See the Changes" is a long lost gem.

From Elvis in Memphis - Elvis Presley. 8/10. Any album with "In The Ghetto" is worth a listen. Have always loved "Long Black Limousine". Bluesy feel to this one.

fenderesq, The MEZ and RogerB like this.
  8. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

All Things Must pass - vinyl 10 out of 10
    Devin Townsend - Deconstruction - vinyl - for a modern sounding prog metal album amazing 9 out 10
    Devin Townsend - Ghost - 10 out of 10
    Inception soundtrack -vinyl clear- lots of cracks and pops 7 out of 10

9. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

The Capstan Shafts- Chick Cigarettes 10/10
    The Capstan Shafts- Miles Per Famine 10/10
    Centro-matic- Fort Recovery 10/10
    Robert Pollard- Normal Happiness 10/10
    Robert Pollard- Of Course You Are 10/10
    The Cure- The Head on the Door deluxe edition bonus disc 8/10
    Mudhoney- Digital Garbage 9/10
    Circus Devils- The Harold Pig Memorial 8.5/10
    Jim James- Uniform Clarity 10/10

Mother likes this.
  10. Octowen

Octowen Forum Resident

Manic Street Preachers - Lifeblood 7/10
    Elvis Costello - Look Now 9/10
    James - Seven 9/10
    The Charlatans - The Charlatans 7.5/10

11. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

Got to be honest. I bought Steve Perry’s Traces last week. It’s ok but mostly a downer of an album (I know why).

Anyway figured I’d give it a shot today, put it on shuffle, song 3 came on and I took the cd out in about 5 seconds. It’s Sunday. dont need to be down today.

Anyone want a almost unplayed Traces cd from Target with 5 bonus tracks for the price of postage only? Seriously.

thehappymundays likes this.
  12. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Walker Brothers - Nite Flights (1978)
    First four tracks are simply incredible, after that the album is good but not as incredible. 4/5

Scott Walker - Climate of Hunter (1984)
    Mostly awesome if at times a very challenging listen. 4/5

David Bowie - Young Americans (1975)
    Every song (except one) is utterly magnificent, sounds current and production sumptuous. No bonus tracks, ended with Fame. A classic. 4.5/5

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (1965)
    Played it about 5 times. Timeless genius. 5/5

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  13. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

14. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Terry Reid - Bang Bang You're Terry Reid 8/10
    The Primitives - Pure 8/10
    Robyn Hitchcock and The Egyptians - Globe Of Frogs 9/10
    Teenage Fanclub - Songs From Northern Britain 9/10
    Pavement - Quarantining The Past 7/10

15. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Brandon Flowers-Flamingo 3/10.
    At daughters home, and she had it playing thru her Sonos. No Killers, no hooks

The MEZ likes this.
  16. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden 10/10
    Iron Maiden - Killers 10/10
    Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood 8/10
    Guns N Roses - Appetite For Destruction 10/10
    Slayer - Reign In Blood 10/10

17. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Been on a Dylan kick lately; I'm quite familiar with all of these albums and for whatever reason, have revisited this particular round of releases.

Street Legal- I've always had a rare attraction to. It's definitely a mood piece, type of release, so it hits a vein that rarely gets tapped, but when it hits, it hits hard. - 6/10
    Shot of Love- I find to have a new appreciation for and find it to be one of Bob's strongest efforts of the 80's, despite the religious overtone still evident from his born-again period. He begins another chapter and stuff like "Lenny Bruce", "Heart of Mine" and "Every Grain of Sand" hear him regaining his footing and eschewing the overtly preachy tone of his previous two efforts.- 6.5/10
    Infidels- I sequenced my own copy of and replaced "Neighborhood Bully", "Union Sundown" and "Man of Peace" with ""Lord, Protect My Child", "Foot of Pride", "Blind Willie McTell" and a live version of "I and I" alongside "Jokerman", "Sweetheart Like You", License to Kill" and "Don't Fall Apart on Me Tonight". This was the version that SHOULD have been and would've brought him back even to higher re-established acclaim.- 7/10
    Knocked Out Loaded-Despite it being unfocused and cobbled together, I do dig "You Wanna Ramble", "Driftin' Too Far from Shore", "I've Got My Mind Made Up" and of course, "Brownsville Girl". - 4.5/10
    Down in the Groove- Slightly improved from the mess that is/was "Loaded", "Groove" only notches one point higher as a result of seemingly, better song flow listing. It's still an unfocused and thrown together album, but songs like "Let's Stick Together", "Death is Not the End", "Rank Strangers to Me", "Sally Sue Brown" and "Silvio" remain curiously strong efforts that give the album some legs even if wobbly in the result. - 5/10

maui jim likes this.
  18. rvintamin

rvintamin Forum Resident

Uriah Heep - Salisbury - 7.5/10
    Travis Scott - Rodeo - 7/10
    The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding - 7.5/10
    Curtis Mayfield - Roots - 8/10
    Sepultura - Chaos AD - 7.5/10
    Group 1850 - Paradise Now - 6/10
    Metallica - Ride the Lightning - 9.5/10
    Ozzy Osbourne - Bark at the Moon - 7/10

19. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Genesis - And Then There Were Three 7.5/10
    Genesis - Duke 8.5/10
    Genesis - Abacab 9/10
    Genesis - Genesis (Shapes album) 8.5/10
    Genesis - The Way We Walk (The Longs) 7/10

carlwm likes this.
  20. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Chuck Berry - Greatest Hits Mono LP on Sundazed - Music 10 / Sonics 8
    Los Lobos - How Will The Wolf Survive? - 180g LP on Rhino -Music 9 / Sonics 9
    Badfinger - Wish You Were Here - 180g LP on Rhino - Music 8 / Sonics 8
    Anatole Fistoulari / Walton: Facade/ Lecocq: Mamzelle Angot - 200g LP on Analogue Productions - Music 9 / Sonics 10
    Sade - Stronger Than Pride - 180g LP on Audio Fidelity - Music 8 / Sonics 9
    Till Bronner & Dieter Ilg / Nightfall - 180g LP on Sony Music - Music 8 / Sonics 8

21. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

Added:
    The Who - Live At Fillmore East 1968 - 180g 3xLP on Universal / Polydor - Music 9 / Sonics 7
    Benny Golson - Groovin' With Golson - 200g LP on Analogue Productions - Music 9 / Sonics 9

22. The Wipers - Over The Edge - 10/10
    Angry Samoans - The Unboxed Set (compilation) - 10/10 for the part I listened to (their 1st 2); 7.5/10 overall with the 3 and 4th records on there
    Van Halen - S/T - 10/10

23. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

Kathryn Joseph - When I Wake The Want Is 8

Low - Double Negative 9

Blown away by both these new releases. I'll be seeing both artists in Manchester tonight. Can't wait.

Mintsauce likes this.
  24. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Still in a Dylan mode but I've listened to some other artists such as Motorhead, Little Feat and Steve Hillage.

Dylan: Time Out of Mind & Love and Theft. Both releases feature some great latter day material from his Bobness and I'm surprised I didn't own these sooner but both releases get a strong 7 out of 10 from me.

Motorhead- The World is Yours- A consistently strong and heavy release with a bit of a punk edge in terms of the energy and interplay between Lemmy, Phil and Mikkey. Key tracks are: I Know How to Die, Get Back in Line, Rock and Roll Music, Outlaw and I Know What You Need. 7 out of 10.

Steve Hillage- L- Interesting release from the former Gong guitarist that features awesome covers of Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man", the Beatles' "It's All Too Much" and a bonus cut of the Byrds' "Eight Miles High", other key tracks are originals, "Electrick Gypsies" and the 12 minute opus, "Lunar Musick Suite". Hillage's guitar style is unique and prodigious throughout the album. 8 Out of 10.

Little Feat- Waiting for Columbus- replaced a long lost copy from 20 years ago, even though this was a quick grab from my local retailer yesterday and not the Rhino 2 disc remaster version I previously owned and in spite of the omission of "A Apolitical Blues" and " Don't Bogart that Joint", it's still a phenomenal live album. 9 out of 10.

fenderesq and carlwm like this.
  25. Andrecrabtree

Andrecrabtree Forum Resident Thread Starter

Queen / Queen II 8
    Smashing Pumpkins / Mellon Collie 10
    Peter Gabriel / Scratch 8
    Eno / Another Green World 8

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.