Ratt 24 bit cd's anyone have any?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ToddH, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I have the Rock Candy version of Dancing Undercover on the way...will try and post my thoughts when it gets here.

I'm usually happy with RC's remasters, but the Dokken releases were not good.

3. ToddH

I just ordered the rock candy out of the cellar and dancing undercover! Damn I hope they dont sound bad...I was interested in those dokken remasters but that doesnt sound good.

4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I don't bother with DR numbers, I go by my ears.

I thought Rock Candy did a great job on the Badlands discs, and Blue Murder was a huge improvement over the rather thin and distant sounding original pressing. But the Dokken's (at least Tooth & Nail and Under Lock & Key, I didn't bother with Breakin' The Chains) are very squashed. For instance, on the song "Lightning Strikes Again" there is a drum roll near the end with Don screaming over it, and there is just no headroom or dynamics to it. The original CD isn't great, but it still sounds better.

5. Plexihead

Plexihead Well-Known Member

How does the Badlands s/t Rock Candy compare to the original cd?

6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I have the original, the Koch remaster and the Rock Candy remaster; and the RC version is my favorite.

HAmmer likes this.
  7. off_2_the_side

off_2_the_side Senior Member

The Ratt Japanese mini-LPs from 2009 are pretty much counterparts to the Dokkens from that year - the obi, HMCD front sticker and booklet all have the same layouts and fonts, and both are loud. The Ratt booklets credit Isao Kikuchi for the remastering (the Dokkens credit Ryuichi Tanaka). Here's "She Wants Money": shewantsmoney.jpg

8. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

I thought the Rock Candy Dokkens were done by Jon Astley?

9. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

Looking forward to your review, i hope they're not eardrum breaking loud and muddy

10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Rock Candy are not the Japanese remasters.

11. ToddH

Good lord.

I hope the Rock candy remasters are not like that. I have everything on vinyl and cd and had the tapes as a kid. I guess I am just a sucker for a handful of bands and will always give them a chance.

12. ToddH

Just got my out of the cellar and dancing undercover in the mail.

I am going to sit and compare the original vinyl with the standard cd's and these new rock candy remasters tonight.

When I put them in my blu ray drive on my cpu vlc shows them as 16 bit I assume that is correct and they were mixed at 24 bit and that cant go on a cd right? Just double checking because I am not aware of the codec..

iTunes or the gracenote database I should say doesn't have them listed...Guess I will do it!

13. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Aren't the original pressings cheap and plentiful? Seems the way to go IMO.

hotsoup, Purple, HAmmer and 1 other person like this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Yes cd is 16/44, they were remastered @ 24 and dithered to 16bit cdda format

15. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Redbook CD is 44.1/16. Sure you can mix at whatever, but CD is always going to be 16 bit. Not to say there is or is not a benefit to a higher Rez chain before it gets to CD, it all depends on the mastering.

16. c-eling

And already sound good, In my opinion

17. jeffrey walsh

Gotta admit I haven't played them since the 80's (really) but the first three full length discs although low in volume sounded good. That Rhino collection is compressed sheat. Still have a soft spot for Out of the Cellar and Lay it Down.

18. c-eling

I wonder if these are comparable to The Cars Japan SHM- Mini's, I bought a couple years ago out of curiosity, way to loud for my tastes, but with someone who would use them in portable mode may enjoy them

19. ToddH

I have them and even stated I have them in this thread. I have multiple copies of out of the cellar, invasion and reach for the sky on vinyl..American and german...

I was just curious about how these would sound and decided to buy them, not sure what asking me aren't the originals cheap and plentiful proves.

20. jeffrey walsh

Oops, sorry I missed post 11 jack***! :) Keep Rattin' and Rollin'.

21. ToddH

I forgot to ask.

I am going to rip this via iTunes in apple lossless.

will it change it in anyway? I am assuming no that its just like any other cd and the difference was in the remastering...just checking though!

22. ToddH

no problem man, I wasn't trying to be a rick with a p...sorry about that.

fwiw I agree with you, I listen to the original vinyl all the time and like them the most.

23. jeffrey walsh

:hugs:

24. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

How did they compare? I want to buy these but I hate the sound of the Dokken albums that Rock Candy put out.

25. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

Absolutely, the first pressings have the best SQ of any of the later copies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.