Ray Brown-RIP.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sound, Jul 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sound

Sound Member Thread Starter

What a horrible week.
    The world has now lost it's 2 best bass players.
    We are shocked and saddened.
    Speechless. RIP.
    thks, dennis

2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

bad, bad, bad :(

3. akshobhyavajra

akshobhyavajra New Member

The door is closing on a wonderful era of music - thankfully their recordings remain. Ray Brown was a wonderful artist. :( RIP

4. syogusr

syogusr New Member

Yes, a horrible week indeed. Ray Brown was one of the best, maybe the best; bass player in jazz. May you rest in peace, Ray.

5. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Truly a loss to music! My thoughts go out to his family and long may he live on in his music. :(

6. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Ray Brown :'(

This is so sad...and I was listening to OP's SOUND OF THE TRIO on my new SACD player just last night. He was a giant...an amazing performer and one of the most recorded people in history, I'm sure. Indeed we're getting to a point where all my favorite 50's-60's "Blue Note" heroes are entering their 70's and beyond...I guess we'll all be in for more weeping as time goes by. Thanks for all the wonderful music, Ray.

7. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

That is sad! He could play the **** of a bass. I actually picked up a copy of the Verve remaster of the Oscar Peterson Trio - "West Side Story" today. I hear this news now and it puts a damper on the mood of listening to the disc... :(

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Play his music and think of Ray. Be happy. He'd love that you were still listening to his old stuff.

9. NoTinEar

NoTinEar Suspended

Amen to that Steve. Amen...

Might I reccomend some cd from his later years-
    Some of my best friends are...
    the sax players
    singers
    trumpet

Three seperate albums from the Telarc label. All showing how good he was even in his later years. A true loss to jazz and music.

10. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Man, what a legend. I have a truckload of Oscar peterson albums with Ray - he was just part of Oscar's sound for so many years. And those fantastic Poll Winners albums with Kessel and Manne - you really get to appreciate the sound of his bass on those. And he did so much else.... eg. his great electric bass playing on Quincy jones "Walking in Space". I could go on and on. He will be missed.

11. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Such a great loss, I heard him several times during the 70's, when I lived in LA. Sad...............................................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.