Ray Charles, Bobby Darin and Hollywood

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ryan, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling Thread Starter

Attached Files:

2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Very interesting. There is no statement that Darin's voice will be used for the songs, tho that is said regarding the Ray Charles movie.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I believe Kevin Spacey will be doing his own singing. Of course, the only song I have ever heard him sing was "Mind Games", so its hard to gauge if this will be a good or bad thing. :)

Regards,

4. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Kevin Spacey is older than Darin when he died. We'll see if he can pull it off... Darin really was one of a kind.

I'm sure he poured his heart and soul into the performance...

JEFF!

5. Ryan

The makeup job on "Ray Charles" looks pretty good...Spacey looks more like a 40-year-old+ Darin.

6. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

Bobby Darin could sing and dance, and played several instruments. Can Spacey?

7. Ryan

Dunno. Maybe learning to do all that has occupied all his effort since American Beauty :laugh:

8. Ryan

IMDB says "Tom Dowd" appears in the Ray film :)

9. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Spacey had a fair amt of Broadway experience before becoming a "name"--including major roles in musicals. In '91, he won a Tony for his turn as Uncle Louie in ONeil Simon's LOST IN YONKERS, and starred in '99 in the B'way production of THE ICEMAN COMETH.

I don't think anyone (at least in the general movie-going adult public) perceives Bobby Darin as a musician, and surely wouldn't view intsrumental dexterity as any prerequisite to portraying him. I think Spacey is decent at the piano--pretty sure he's played on talk shows a few times.

The age thing may be the biggest hurdle; I think a lot of it will depend on how they structure the movie. My guess will be the main focus is on the last 5-6 yrs of Darin's life, which would be easiest for Spacey to pull off.

I haven't loved everything he's done (and see American Beauty as a good bit over-rated), but Spacey's known for his obsessive knowledge and affection for such pop culture figures as Darin and he has the kind of talent to nail it if the material is on the mark.

I think Jamie Foxx will be great as Ray,

doug

10. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Roger Ebert gave an early review of the movie Beyond The Sea and in his opinion, feels that Kevin Spacey actually is a better singer than Bobby Darrin. He also noted that Spacey is taking the "show on the road" and is doing a tour where he covers Darrin's songs.

11. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Spacey being a better sing than Bobby Darin. That's ridiculous. I have no interest in seeing Kevin Spacey pretend to be the late, great Bobby Darin.

And this "tour" he's doing is so narcissistic it makes me sick.

JEFF!

12. Ryan

Why don't you tell us how you really feel jeff? :)

No one has "that voice" that Darin had.

Kevin is a good actor and puts his heart into it (from clips I've seen) but Bobby was a COOL CAT!

13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

And yet, the S.F. Chronicle review of Spacy's live show says it was a much, much better concert than the reviewer had even considered possible. Apparently Spacy batted this one out of the park. :laugh:

14. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Veteran New York DJ Jonathan Schwartz airs a great Sunday afternoon show which is simulcast on XM Satellite Radio, and which I've gotten into the habit of catching when I can. At one point during yesterday's installment, he discussed the Darin biopic and played Spacey's rendition of "Beyond the Sea". It sounded pretty good to me; Spacey can indeed carry a tune and does a very impressive job of capturing Darin's vocal inflections.

It's funny, I can remember several years ago looking at the cover of Darin's If I Were A Carpenter album on Atlantic and noting how much he physically resembled Kevin Spacey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.