Ray Charles "Complete Country & Western Recordings" Box Set appreciation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spanky1, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Had this set for several years, but feel the need the need to occasionally give it a spin. My favorite RC song of all-time is "I'm A Fool To Care", and I could listen to it over and over. Too bad it's OOP, because this set is a must-have.

Anyway, I have a question regarding the sound quality of the ABC-Paramount sessions. The horn section intro on "Move It On Over" is somewhat "muted". Not sure if that's a good description, but I wondered the reason behind this. "I'm A Fool To Care" sounds very nice and bright, whereas "Move It on Over" sounds different, or at least the horns do. Were these done at a different studio? I assumed it was all done at RPM.

The Killer likes this.
  2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

"Move It On Over" was recorded at Capitol, New York. I think it sounds great, at least on the DCC Greatest Country & Western Hits 180G LP.

3. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Great set, I'm a sucker for a lot of those songs Ray did. Take These Chains From My Heart is one of the lesser-played ones I love - there's something unabashedly grand and pretty (and very "old fashioned") about the feel.

If I recall right, Ray started recording at RPM some time in 1965. Prior to that and perhaps on occasion after, a variety of studios were used.

4. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

This is easily one of my favorite box sets of all time. I jumped for joy when this came out.

Having the two Modern Sounds albums on one disc was great. I know they've been recently reissued on Concord, but at the time this box set came out (1998), the second Modern Sounds album had never been on CD.

It's fun to hear Ray's approach to C&W evolve through the 60's and 70's.

In addition to the two Modern Sounds album, there are some wonderful covers throughout the set - "Crying Time", "Together Again", "The Three Bells" and "Witchita Lineman" are particular favorites. I love it all, really.

beatboy1975 likes this.
  5. RKMiller

RKMiller Forum Resident

Just checked Amazon. As this is OOP, you can buy new for $199.94 or used for $64.99. Glad I found a copy at my local used book and music store for $30.00, even though it was missing the box, all 4 cds and the book were there.

6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I love the first 2 CDs. As groundbreaking as any other music in the last century. I must admit I skip through a lot of songs from the rest of the box.

7. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

kind of what I do as well. Still there are many many amazing songs on this box and it's a keeper and a go find it fast item for sure...

8. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I Had It All

I love this box set as well. I love the track "I Had It All" on disc four. Good stuff.

9. live evil

live evil Senior Member

The prices paid on ebay have dropped since the first 2 volumes were reissued by Concord.
    The prices at Amazon are a little out of whack since the reissues.

10. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

Remember: you can ask as much as you want.
    The trick is finding someone to pay it.

11. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

hey you are right...:righton:...thanks for pointing that one out. I have to spend more time with disc 4...

SOONERFAN likes this.
  12. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I just picked up this box today, $28.99, absolutely wonderful/mint condition. This is a great set! Music is fantastic of course, and sound quality great too - mastered by Doug Sax.

razorball likes this.
  13. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

For me, Ray singing country with strings and a choir is as good as it gets.
    "I Can't Stop Loving You" turned Nashville upside down!

14. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Can someone post a track listing of this?

15. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

CD1
    1. Bye Bye Love
    2. You Don't Know Me
    3. Half as Much
    4. I Love You So Much It Hurts
    5. Just a Little Lovin' (Will Go a Long Way)
    6. Born to Lose
    7. Worried Mind
    8. It Makes No Difference Now
    9. You Win Again
    10. Careless Love
    11. I Can't Stop Loving You
    12. Hey, Good Lookin'
    13. You Are My Sunshine
    14. No Letter Today
    15. Someday (You'll Want Me to Want You)
    16. Don't Tell Me Your Troubles
    17. Midnight
    18. Oh, Lonesome Me
    19. Take These Chains from My Heart
    20. Your Cheatin' Heart
    21. I'll Never Stand in Your Way
    22. Making Believe
    23. Teardrops in My Heart
    24. Hang Your Head in Shame

CD2
    1. I'm Movin' On
    2. Busted
    3. No One to Cry To
    4. Move It on Over
    5. Love's Gonna Live Here (Swingova)
    6. I'm a Fool to Care
    7. Crying Time
    8. Together Again
    9. I Don't Care
    10. Blue Moon of Kentucky (Swingova)
    11. Don't Let Her Know
    12. Please Say You're Fooling
    13. She's Lonesome Again
    14. Born Loser
    15. Girl I Used to Know
    16. Here We Go Again
    17. When I Stop Dreamin'
    18. If You Were Mine
    19. Your Love Is So Doggone Good
    20. Don't Change on Me
    21. Till I Can't Take It Anymore
    22. You've Still Got a Place in My Heart
    23. I Keep It Hid
    24. Sweet Memories
    25. Good Morning Dear

CD3
    1. Ring of Fire
    2. What Am I Living For?
    3. Three Bells
    4. All I Ever Need Is You
    5. Wichita Lineman
    6. Down in the Valley
    7. Take Me Home, Country Roads
    8. Never Ending Song of Love
    9. Come Live With Me
    10. Sunshine
    11. We Had It All
    12. (Turn Out the Light And) Love Me Tonight
    13. I Wish You Were Here Tonight
    14. Ain't Your Memory Got No Pride at All
    15. Born to Love Me
    16. I Don't Want No Stranger Sleepin' in My Bed
    17. Let Your Love Flow
    18. You Feel Good All Over
    19. You've Got the Longest Leaving Act in Town
    20. String Bean

CD4
    1. 3/4 Time
    2. Shakin' Your Head
    3. I Had It All
    4. Do I Ever Cross Your Mind
    5. Woman (Sensuous Woman)
    6. Then I'll Be over You
    7. If I Were You
    8. Workin' Man's Woman
    9. Two Old Cats Like Us - Ray Charles, Hank Williams, Jr.
    10. This Old Heart (Is Gonna Rise Again) - Ray Charles, The Oak Ridge Boys
    11. We Didn't See a Thing - Chet Atkins, Ray Charles, George Jones
    12. Who Cares - Ray Charles, Janie Fricke
    13. Friendship - Ray Charles, Ricky Skaggs
    14. It Ain't Gonna Worry My Mind - Ray Charles, Mickey Gilley
    15. Little Hotel Room - Ray Charles, Merle Haggard
    16. Crazy Old Soldier - Johnny Cash, Ray Charles
    17. Seven Spanish Angels - Ray Charles, Willie Nelson
    18. Pages of My Mind
    19. Slip Away
    20. Anybody With the Blues
    21. Little Bit of Heaven
    22. Dixie Moon

L.

16. Wow, I sold one in my store with the box still around it for only $35.00.
    Wish I'd known they were going up! Someone got a deal off me!

17. Steve Hoffman

I actually have an answer for you, years too late for you to give a crap but here goes.

MOVE IT ON OVER was recorded for, but left off, MODERN SOUNDS IN C&W MUSIC VOLUME ONE in 1962. They pulled it out for HAVE A SMILE WITH ME a few years later and, instead of using the original Capitol stereo mix, to get more billing (their usual deal), Bell Sound REMIXED IT BADLY. Sounds really muted and grim.

I don't have this set but they must have used this remixed (at Bell Sound) version instead of the original Capitol mix. Too bad they didn't find a mono version, that's really rare.

I'M A FOOL TO CARE was never mixed to stereo back in the day at all. I remember Ray Charles telling me he mixed it to stereo for the first DCC CD compilations and that is the version that has been used ever since 1987. It's the only stereo version. I remember it sounded pretty good, recorded at Bell Sound, NYC, 1965, mixed at RPM, 1987 by the man himself and second engineer Terry Howard.

How is that for totally useless information?

davenav and funknik like this.
  18. apileocole

The kind I like. :righton: You know I love this old Ray and pretty much anything about it interests me.

The booklet of the Rhino CD of Ingredients In a Recipe for Soul / Have a Smile With Me two-fer really confuses things though. The Rhino notes have it that Move It On Over, like most of Have a Smile With Me was recorded at the same long session for Ingredients In a Recipe for Soul (7-24-63 in the DCC, 7-13-63 according to Rhino).

In any case, the Capitol vs Bell mixes shenanigans seem to account for why Ingredients sounds conspicuously better than Smile. Was there a Capitol stereo mix of Have a Smile With Me and if so, do you happen to know if it (or at least Move It On Over) exists, or was it fed to the bottomless can? Not that there's much hope of a release if it did, I suppose, it's just I wonder about these things because I'm funnier that way.

btw for anyone interested if it's any help, the DCC gold is the way to go for Ingredients In a Recipe for Soul by a good margin; the Rhino is disappointingly inferior. Even so, Move It On Over does sound a bit less smothered on the Rhino two-fer then it does on the Complete C&W box set. Same mix of course.

19. Steve Hoffman

Here be the deal, matey. MOVE IT ON OVER and NO ONE CARES were recorded at the same time as HEY, GOOD LOOKIN', etc. in 1962 for the first country album. So 8 songs were done in the jazz style at Capitol and 6 done in the Big Orchestra/Chorus style at United. The two songs were used to complete the "Comedy" album and remixed. Irony is in the fact that the great songs like SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE which were done at Bell originally were ALSO given a bad sounding remix and the original mixes discarded. So, at one time both sets of mixes remained for the SMILE WITH ME album, eventually only the mono original mixes were left, sad to say.

On RECIPE FOR SOUL, here is the deal. Everything on that album was REMIXED at Bell Sound as well. In this case, both the United original stereo mixes and the Capitol stereo original mixes existed in the 1980's and for the DCC versions I got to pick which versions I wanted to use on the various albums I did. The original mixes were later ash-canned by Ray, sad to say so I think the DCC Gold CD is the only place to hear the actual Capitol and United mixes. The "album master", far inferior (IMO) has been used for everything since. It sounds like someone threw a distorted blanket over everything. Bummer. Why Bell Sound thought that was a good sound, dunno but I believe they were acting under orders from ABC-Paramount to make stuff sound less aggressive and more tame and that's why Bell did what they did. Other Bell Sound mixes (YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE, for example) sound amazing.

Ya see?

20. apileocole

Avast! Thanks for the (partly painful) facts Steve. Move It On Over and No One Cares do sound to me like they were from the same session as Hey Good Lookin' (given different mix) but it's good to have some confirmation. I hate to ask, but so everyone's clear, as far as you know, are the session tapes long gone? Given the sources for the mono singles box, I wonder if even the original monos are left. Bewildering... Any idea why the discrepancy on dates? Different dates on the mix tapes?

21. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks so much Steve. I'm the original poster, and I do still care. I'm actually glad to see this thread active again.

I appreciate your sharing your knowledge of the Ray Charles catalog, and I'm sure many others do likewise.

22. Steve Hoffman

Reopened by request

23. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I see this set all the time for $30 or less. Well worth picking up (get a few in case one breaks).

I love it today as much as I did when I got it for Christmas 20 years ago.

xilef regnu likes this.
  24. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

I still love this set. :cheers:

25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

I may be a duffer, but what does the set actually look like?
    My quick search offers me heaps of reissues, double albums etc.....
    Not the 4 Cd set...?......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.