Ray Charles - Singular Genius: The Complete ABC Singles'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by apileocole, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Concord lost the rights soon after the box was released and had to retract it.

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Sorry, haven't read the whole thread. What didn't you like about the sound?

3. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

i believe his thoughts and other members thoughts on the sound on this box are contained earlier in the thread....

I happen to really enjoy this box, content and sound for the most part...yeah, there are some very "iffy" masterings, some botched needledrops, but with over 100 mono single masters its to be expected...i'm amazed they exist in any shape at all.

a worthy addition to any Ray Charles collection.

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Have now read the whole thread twice - missed a lv70smusic's assessment the first time, but saw it the second time around.

Also listened to sound samples of the whole set on AMG and thought some of the material on the last two discs is not as good as the earlier stuff. Am still dubbing whether or not to get it... :)

I understand that the set has 106 mono single masters (53 singles).

5. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Get it while it's still available. Sell it if you don't like it.

6. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

Buy it while you can it may never be seen again I have it and don't understand the misgivings about the sound it's 90% perfect and the few needle drops of the later material has been well done, for me it's a must have.

7. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

100% Agree!!!

Out of the 106 songs on the box there's only around 10 songs with poor sound taken from poor quality vinyl the rest sound pretty good to these ears, I don't think that's a bad return.

I have no regrets buying this box it's wonderful and I agree with Bill (DJ Wilbur) it's one of my favourite boxsets.

BUY IT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Sorry for the mangled English in my post; wrote something else first, then "reconstructed" it...

I decided I can live with 10 (give or take) bad sounding tracks out of 106 - didn't hesitate any longer and ordered it. Thanks for the advice.

Now if I could find a relatively cheap Complete Elvis Masters box... But that's another topic :)

9. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Agreed. It's a great set. It's a shame it went oop so fast.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Why did the set go out of print so fast? I've heard a few possible reasons, but not any facts that could be backed up.

I gave my Xmas gift to another and reordered it from Amazon but never got it.

Who can tell me which 10 songs are needle drops?

11. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

I know it's great, and I'm glad I bought it, but the fact that his most famous song, "Georgia on My Mind," is one of the worst sounding tracks on the set is a big disappointment.

12. DJ WILBUR

seriously...a great set in many ways...

13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is out of print now, isn't it? I had it my shopping cart at Amazon for months, suddenly, it there were only used sellers selling it for very high prices.

14. DesertIslander

DesertIslander Recidivist

I was lucky enough to score a copy for $39 before they disappeared. Other than a few tracks which are clearly mediocre needle-drops, I find the sound quality more than adequate.

Question: Where can I find a track listing which details the previously-unavailable-on-CD selections? Annoyingly, the booklet does not specify. I have all of the ABC twofers and the Genius & Soul box, and recognize most of the tracks on Singular Genius, but would like to make a playlist of just the rarities.

Ethan

15. goldwax

In the event that you have create your own, look the box up on AMG, and click on each song to see what if any other releases it has appeared on.

16. goldwax

As was mentioned a few posts back: Bull Moose Music.

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Not anymore.

18. goldwax

Oh, no!

Well, I got mine, at least! :angel:

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Well, they still list it, but it can't be added to one's cart anymore.

20. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Well-Known Member

Looks like forum members cleaned us out. As everybody knows, we won't be able to get any more. Enjoy!

Chris

21. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

There are still copies on Amazon marketplace for between $40 - $50 and many for $999

22. DJ WILBUR

spend the afternoon plowing through a lot of this set today. Such a shame its hard to find....awaiting my MFSL Genius disc...

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ray was the King.

rxcory and kollektionist like this.
  24. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Anyone in the Cleveland area looking for a new set should be able to get it at either the Rock Hall museum store or Record Den in Mentor. I was in both places recently and they each had one at the original price.

25. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

So why is the sound on so much of the Tangerine-era stuff so horrible? When I first got this box set I thought it was a flaw in the mono mixes, but even many of the stereo LP mixes sound thin, highly compressed, and lacking bass. Like you're listening at a high elevation and your ears haven't popped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.