Ray Charles - Singular Genius: The Complete ABC Singles'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by apileocole, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I'm sure that's the reason it costs $70 on amazon.de.

2. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

Have we even confired that there actually is extra reverb that wasn't on the singles?

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No. The people who have this thing here don't seem to know or care. The people who could know (or care) don't have it yet!

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Oh.

5. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

You would think that for the higher price they are charging they would provide every drop of reverb! Give 'em their money's worth! :)

6. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

The ghost of Dave Dexter, Jr?

7. Steve Hoffman

And make it as loud as possible. No stupid quiet parts. Don't gyp us.

8. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Show us the money! :)

9. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

I can't believe how people on this forum are worried about added reverb on this Ray Charles package just because one person on Amazon mentioned it, there are two comments from other people stating there is no added reverb at the bottom of his posting and it's clear from the samples that no reverb has been added, I've ordered this package in full confidence that it has not been tampered with.

10. Brian W.

Brian W. Senior Member

As I thought. :thumbsup:

11. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

AGH!!! this has been delayed in the UK, just got an Amazon notice that it won't be posted until 16th December.:realmad:

12. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

i've compared several of the songs to the mono greatest hits that i had handy. I spy no extra reverb on those tracks...

13. mikrt17

Mine is arriving on November 30th and I'm in the UK. maybe they ran out of stock by the time you ordered.

14. hodgo

I placed my order on the 10th September it was supposed to be delivered by today, then I got an e mail from Amazon UK this morning quoting delivery delayed until 18th December. So I've since cancelled it and gone to Amazon.com instead and ordered it there, price was £2.50 ($3.88) cheaper even with postal charges and customs inclusive, it was despatched an hour later and Amazon.com gave me an upgrade on postage and a delivery date of 30th November.

So unless you've already had a despatch notice prepare yourself for it to be cancelled because I ordered around the time Amazon UK annouced it for sale 2 months ago.

15. Paul C

Paul C Forum Resident

I've been comparing the new Concord set to some of my 45s to try to determine whether the Concord set features the original single mixes. The liner notes (in which Billy Vera claims that Frankie Avalon and Fabian were also on ABC-Paramount) are silent on the point. I have the DCC discs with the Ray Charles/Steve Hoffman mixes, but I unfortunately don't have the original stereo mixes for comparison purposes:

That Lucky Old Sun
    Apart from the 45 being an edit of the LP version, my 45 has some kind of squeaky noise over the opening note that is as noticeable on the Concord set. It is far less noticeable on the Charles/Hoffman mix.

Busted
    I detect a slight amount of reverb on Ray's vocals on both my 45 and the Concord set. I don't hear it on the Charles/Hoffman mix, which suggests that it is not present on the multi-tracks.

My Heart Cries For You
    According to the review by Mike Callahan (of the Both Sides Now publication) of the Dcc discs from way back when, this song had never been released in stereo before. I folded the Charles/Hoffman mix (since no other stereo mix seems to exist). The mix on the Concord set is definitely not a fold of the Charles/Hoffman mix, which has the strings further in the background.

Don't Change On Me
    Not only is this not the single mix, it isn't even the single version. It's the 3:23 LP version.

Hardhearted Hannah
    From the opening drumbeats, my 45 sounds different to me than the mix on the Concord set, but whether it's because of compression, reverb, or something else, I'm not able to determine. I folded the Charles/Hoffman mix, and the mix on the Concord set sounds suspiciously similar.

Hopefully a more knowledgeable someone will be able to conduct a more thorough analysis, but my preliminary findings are that some but not all of these songs are presented on the Concord set in their original single mixes.

As for where the single masters may have been found, the only hint the liner notes give is that one of the people extended 'Additional Thanks' is Roger Armstrong of Ace Records, which suggests they were found in England.

I am by no means an audiophile (I want to be buried with my cassettes), but I am very impressed with the sound quality of the Concord set. The biggest treat, however, is being introduced to numerous recordings I hadn't heard before.

16. Steve Hoffman

Paul C, there are no Ray/Steve remixes. You're comparing just one old mix to another. Better listen again!

That being said, Ray did a new mix of MY HEART CRIES FOR YOU because he hated the strings on the original mix. UH HUH uses the original stereo mix from 1961 or something.

No songs were ever remixed by Ray, Terry Howard and I for any DCC release. IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT Ray mixed while Terry and I were there. That's it.

The DCC's use all original mixes. However there were several vintage mixes from different studios of many of the songs. Is that confusing? Yeah, it was to me as well. Some of the Capitol, NYC stuff was remixed at Bell Sound about a week after they were recorded. Some DCC's used the Bell remix (Busted, silver Dunhill) and the Gold CD used the original Capitol mix.

And so on.

So, to review, the Dunhill silver disks use all original stereo mixes except MY HEART CRIES FOR YOU and IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT. Oh, and I'M A FOOL TO CARE. That's it.

The Gold DCC and UH HUH used all original mixes except for IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT, I'M A FOOL TO CARE (no stereo mix existed).

How's that for dredging up the old memory cells?

For some reason (extra billing most likely) Bell Sound convinced ABC-Paramount back in the day that only mixes done at Bell were any good so Bell remixed most of the Ray sessions done at other studios like Capitol and United. I can't remember now but it seemed to Ray, Terry and I that the original first mixes from the "home studios" were better in every way than the Bell remix attempts back at that time. It sure got confusing. By the time of UH HUH we managed to find (to me) the best versions of each song..

Kkfan likes this.
  17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

From what I've read above, the original "LP version" of "Don't Change On Me" is 3:01, and can be found on Uh Huh (per SH a few posts up). The original single is a mono fold of that 3:01 version.

This 3:23 version appears to be a completely different vocal take and did not appear on the original "Love, Country Style" album, but is on the digital reissue of that album as well as the Genius & Soul and Complete C&W Recordings box sets. I'm interested to know when this vocal was recorded and when this take first appeared.

18. Paul C

Paul C Forum Resident

Thanks, Steve. That actually explains a whole lot. I was also listening today to the two stereo re-issue 45s issued by the Underground Records label in Canada around 1984 and wondering why the mixes on the DCC discs (which came out a few years later) seemed to be the same.

So the one track on the Concord set which I'm almost sure is a fold, "Hardhearted Hannah", is a fold of the original stereo mix and not some later mix.

19. vinyltimm

vinyltimm Forum Resident

Got it today. Picked free shipping--still got here in 1 day!

Listened to one disk, so far so good, sounds good to me. I have some LP's, but no ABC 45's, so I can't compare. A lot of great music for pretty cheap.

Packaging is ok, nothing particularly great. Cloth-y box....each CD has it's own cardboard sleeve with tracklist. The booklet has some cool pics and good notes on the sessions and musicians.

[​IMG]

20. mikrt17

I ordered direct with Amazon.com and I've received an email saying it has been shipped and will be with me on November 30th, it's very strange that you have to wait so long.

21. hodgo

From Amazon.COM mine ordered & shipped yesterday is 30th November same as yours, that's quick. :thumbsup:

It was Amazon UK who had the long delay and I pre ordered it over 2 months earlier..:thumbsdn:

EDIT: Also from placing the order to despatch an hour Later, the price was reduced by a further £1.21 ($1.88) making for a total saving of £3.71 ($5.76) from what I would have paid at Amazon UK

22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Amazon always overestimates international deliveries. It's the same in both directions. My order to Amaxon.co.UK for the EU version of the new Sinatra CD shipped Nov. 12 and was received Nov. 21, but Amazon UK estimated delivery on Dec. 5.

23. mikrt17

Thanks for that information Bob, I'll remember that for the future, so I may receive this box set sooner than expected.

24. hodgo

I'm stunned!! this box was despatced on 23/11/11 from Nevada USA and arrived toady 25/11/11 in East Yorkshire in the UK, that's 2 days UNBELIEVBLE!!! :edthumbs:

25. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I live in San Francisco. Not sure where mine was shipped from, but it shipped the same day as yours. Online tracking indicates it arrived in San Francisco this morning, so I should get it today. In other words, delivery to the UK was just as fast as delivery to the next state over. (I'm assuming mine was also shipped from Nevada since most music I purchase from Amazon seems to ship from there.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.