Ray Harryhausen classic "First Man On The Moon"(1964)coming to blu-ray from Twilight Time March 2015

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lukejosephchung, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Check your math. 40 years old in 1964.

2. Still looked great for 40. I was thinking of the first year I saw it on TV which would have been 1969 that I recall (around the time of the moon landing)

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Close, I had to look it up: "Selenites"

4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Those are the insect creatures name, they were named after the moon goddess Selene.
    The anti gravity paint, which is called cavorite was named after that scientist that created it, Mr. Cavor.

His Masters Vice, Vidiot and Deesky like this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh, I thought he was talking about the moon creatures. My mistake!

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Saw it at the movies when I was a kid and really loved it.

Vidiot likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

First saw this in the mid 60's way before the moon landing.

8. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bumping this thread to notify those interested in "First Men On The Moon"(1964)on blu-ray from Twilight Time Entertainment that it will be available for pre-order on February 25th at 4PM Eastern time at www.ScreenArchives.com

MSRP for this 5,000-copy limited edition pressing will be $29.95+shipping/sales tax and purchasers are limited to 3 copies/customer...:righton::wave:

9. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Don't forget JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (1959 / NEW 4K RESTORATION!!! I'm dying for this!!

lukejosephchung likes this.
  10. lukejosephchung

That will be available the same day and also limited to 3 copies/customer...

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I actually think First Men in the Moon is a better movie and holds up better than Journey, but I know a lot of fans prefer the latter because it has more creatures plus a Bernard Herrmann score. The bass notes on Journey are pretty bone-rattling.

I also saw First Men in the Moon when it was first released, when I was a little kid in 1964, and I think it made an impression on me because the producers had the unique idea to not exactly have the lunar insect creatures be evil and violent, but instead just kind of curious and unsure about the humans. I'm fuzzy on how they got back to the earth, which I think was a bit of a stretch (assuming you could buy into the whole Cavorite thing). Didn't Welles actually use a cannon to shoot the capsule to the moon in the book?

GuildX700 likes this.
  12. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

First Men in the Moon is a fun, odd, interesting movie that moves along quite well, it keeps one's interest and it just works, the color is wonderful, the plot line silly fun, the effects for the time were great. Love it.

Journey To The Center is certainly a bit slow and plodding, overly predictable, with more cardboard acting, but I still love it to death too, and as you said, the score just rocks.

I'm in for both.

Vidiot likes this.
  13. lukejosephchung

I have a feeling that it will be a feeding frenzy for BOTH titles on the 25th...Sci-Fi fantasy and horror do especially well when Twilight Time releases classic titles from those genres...:winkgrin:

14. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I just hope Journey looks better than the current blu ray.

lukejosephchung likes this.
  15. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Does anyone know if Twilight Time is carrying over all of the bonus features from the old DVD of “First Men in the Moon”? I don’t have the specs of either in front of me, so I’m not sure.

Okay, I motivated myself to answer my own question. It looks like some of the vintage featurettes on the old DVD of “First Men in the Moon” are not on the Twilight Time blu-ray. This isn’t a complaint really, I just wanted to know if I should keep the old DVD.

I’m curious if “….Moon” and “Journey…” will sell out as quickly as “The Blob” or “Fright Night.” I would guess perhaps not as quickly as “Fright Night”, which I think last around a day.

16. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I think you're thinking of From The Earth To The Moon Jules Verne.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I fondly remember when I waited for FMITM would come around in re-runs! many years later I was thrilled to get the DVD.

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ah, you must be right. Apparently, the Welles novel also has the weightless "Cavorite" gimmick. The movie added the female character (which was a good idea), and omitted some odd ideas in the novel -- like after the crash, a curious young boy sneaks into the space ship and takes off, never to be heard from again. :sigh:

19. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Just pre ordered First Men IN The Moon and the new 4k resto JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH (1959) .

But boy, I don't know if it's me or if ScreenArchives order system just sucks!!!! It took me 12 trys to complete my order. I also could not find any valid coupon codes.

20. lukejosephchung

I placed my order in a single try without any glitches...took all of 10 minutes to fill up my shopping cart and run through the checkout process for "First Men" and the other 4 March 2015 releases I pre-ordered: "U-Turn", "Journey To The Center Of The Earth", "The Bounty" and "Solomon & Sheba"... :cheers:

21. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Their website always tends to run slow when a pre-order for popular titles first goes live. I snagged “First Men..” and “Journey”, and surprisingly didn’t notice a lag on the website. When I ordered “Fright Night” a couple months back, that was when the website seemed to essentially crash for a while.

I’ve seen folks on other boards complain about this, and it’s worth complaining. But it’s not difficult to imagine why Screen Archives doesn’t do more to fix the issue. This issue only raises itself a few times per year, for a few hours at a time. I’m not surprised they don’t purchase enough server power to handle a huge onslaught, because it rarely happens, and it only happens with titles that sell out quickly anyway.

It’s always important to keep in mind that the Twilight Time label is notorious for these quick sell-outs, but only a small number of their titles have actually sold out, and even fewer have sold out within hours or days. I don’t think they get a huge amount of web traffic 99% of the time.

I don’t see anything else on their announced schedule so far that I’m super interested in, so this will probably be my last order with them for at least a few months.

22. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

I prefer "Journey" myself- James Mason, Pat Boone, and Gertrude! My father took me to see it at our local junior high in 1961.

23. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Me too. At least their shipping costs to Canada are reasonable

24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

BTW I just watched their Blu Ray of the Mysterious Island to get me in the mood.

25. Seems to me they should fit it since it always happens with popular titles. It really does a disservice to fans.

GuildX700 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.