Razor & Tie, Forever '80s......

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jetsons, Mar 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jetsons

Jetsons Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi, everyone:

I see that this two CD various artists compilation was mastered by Steve per the discography. Of all the R&T '80s comps Steve has worked on, this title seems to be the only one available without resorting to the usual heavy digging.:)

Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to listen to these discs. If the sonics are there as I suspect they should be, I'll order pronto.

Thanks for the help.

Jet

2. Kym

Kym Former Resident

They suck. Don't bother. ;)

Just joshing! I have heard my friend's set, and it does sound pretty good. Recommended!

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Grab 'em...NOW! Can't go wrong...The usual SH quality.

4. Jetsons

What an awesome forum. Talk about some seriously fast advice!

Done!!! I also ordered Steve's Suddenly '70s two disc set so I could get the total high enough to use a juicy discount coupon code.

Thanks again!

Jet

5. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Wait, wait... what's on the cover of Forever 80's? I don't think I have this one.

I do have R&T's Awesome 80's which is a two-disc set and has a collage of artists on the cover. The tray insert is gray and black. Steve is not mentioned in the liner notes or credits. It does not say who mastered this. Lots of 45 versions are on here.

I also have Back to the 80's which is a single disc. Steve is mentioned in the booklet as having mastered the set. This is the disc with all the jellybeans on the cover.

6. Jetsons

7. ascot

ascot Senior Member

8. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That's a nice compilation, and I love the cover. I just wish it were a little cheaper. While we are talking about Steve's work, I am used to paying a lot less for '80s compilations.

9. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I was able to buy a lot of these old Razor & Tie collections that Steve mastered at secondspin.com for about $8 or $9 per 2-disc set. Some of the discs arrived scratched but they all played (except for one, which secondspin replaced without me having to return the defective one). Unfortunately the only used copy of "Suddenly '70's" that turns up anywhere is the single-disc version.

10. Jetsons

Keith:

There is a way to relieve some of the pain.:)

I waited months for Timelife.com to get the two disc set of Suddenly '70s. It had been on what seemed permanent back order. If one spends > $35.00, coupon code PR89RY knocks off 20% the total, before shipping. I'm glad that I ran across Forever '80s to take advantage of the deal.

Not terrific but much better than Musicspace.com which also nails me for sales tax plus they are slow shippers.

Regards,

Jet

11. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Ya gotta be careful about some of those R & T comps. There's two versions of some titles. The single disc rack version (Best Buy, Wal-Mart etc.) And the two disc versions. Twice I purchased a single disc comp only to find the same title as a double.

12. Michael

Did they have the SH mastering? I have Awesome 80's and Totally 80's and they are great! Not a klunker in either.

13. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Don't know, I purchased "Suddenly 70's (returned it) and a 60's comp. I don't remember seeing Steve's name on either.

14. Michael

For some reason, Steve's name isn't on much of the Razor & Tie stuff??? The discography page has been extremely helpful!

15. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Are you sure the Forever 80s on Musicspace is the Steve Hoffman one? Along with there being two versions where one is a new single disc, I've also noticed some new CDs with the same titles, but someone else doing the mastering. Like Suddenly 70s. The mastering isn't listed as Steve Hoffman on the single disc version.

If anyone knows where I can get the Steve Hoffman versions of:

Razor & Tie 0PCD 4551 1994 CD Various Artists Awesome '80s
    Razor & Tie DR-7075 1994 CD Various Artists Back to the '80s
    Razor & Tie A2-25069 1994 CD Various Artists Forever '80's
    Razor & Tie DIR 9001 1997 CD Various Artists Suddenly '70s
    Razor & Tie 0PCD 4544 1993 CD Various Artists Totally '80s

I'd like to have them-- even used.

16. Jetsons

I received the two disc Suddenly 70s from timelife.com today. It is the Razor and Tie and inside the front cover (bottom right corner), it states mastered by you know who in bold lettering . I also ordered the Awesome 80s two disc comp but that's now on back order and will hopefully ship later.

How does it sound? I've only had the opportunity to listen to three tracks so far and the sonics are excellent. The sound is full and warm just as expected. Excellent Steve!:thumbsup:

Jet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.