RCA Elvis Deletions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Roland Stone, Jul 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

I read in Entertainment Weekly this week about the new Elvis hits compilation -- they made a big deal about how they were going to seriously change the sound to try to appeal to the young 'uns. It didn't sound like they were going to go as far as overdubbing new stuff, but radical remixes and mucho weird EQ seem to be in store. They talked about getting rid of the "tinniness" and "thin" sound. They specifically mentioned the Beatles "1" as an example of where this was *not* done (!), so God only knows what they're up to.

I weep to think what this means for the catalog if the deletion rumours are true.

Ryan

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I guess the smart thing to do is buy what you like now, because the Elvis catalog is about to be destroyed...

3. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Lost?

I heard that RCA sent it over to the movie studio sound department where they dubbed it to 35mm mag and then dumped it.

5. RDK

RDK Active Member

So Steve, you're saying that "lost" isn't the same thing as "purposely thrown into the trash?"

;)

6. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I don't think this is true because the stereo masters for Angel and A Whistling Tune from this same movie session (July 2, 1961) have been found/recovered. However, Follow That Dream, What A Wonderful Life, I'm Not The Marrying Kind and Sound Advice have yet to be found.

I believe Ernst Jorgensen stated that he recently found the original tape box for these masters in the RCA vaults but the tapes were not inside.

7. speedo

speedo Member

don't be fooled. I've heard the "nes Ounsd" and You guys will hate it. But I don't want to say much more because I wan't to hear your honest opiiipion. But I have a feeling I Know what is is.

8. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

How much of the Sun Sessions have yet to be released. Any unheard titles or just alternate takes??

Chris

9. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

If it could be anything, it looks like, it could be, a sound upgrade to hybrid SACD, on par with the Rolling Stones catalog upgrade. Apparently, BMG, want to hold onto the news as long as possible. It will no doubt cause a big "bounce" to their stock, after all, it's the Elvis Presley Catalog !

The tip off to me, is, the "gag order" on Ernst Jorgensen. Self-imposed, or not, he is "busy" working on something Elvis, and that means something really big !

10. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

Post Script....

The secrecy also suggests that BMG is at the start or in the middle, of securing it's catalog with copy protection technology.

11. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Chris, there still are some unreleased alternate takes (mostly takes of Blue Moon but there are a few other incomplete takes of released songs). It is rumoured (so far unsubstantiated) that a major Elvis collector has found another Sun acetate containg two more unreleased songs. His name was posted on the For Elvis CD Collectors website a few weeks back, but I cannot find the thread. I would take this "news" with a grain of salt until BMG announces anything.

It is possible that more Sun material could be found, but the it is highly unlikely. RCA ordered all sessions tapes destroyed in 1959 and the ones that have survived were because they were misfiled or the orders were ignored.

12. speedo

speedo Member

What I meant to say....

don't be fooled. I've heard the "New Sound" and You guys will hate it. But I don't want to say much more because I wan't to hear your honest opinion. But I have a feeling I Know what is is. Remember loud does not mean better

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.