The RCA Selectavision Videodisc system (CED)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Winter Hugohalter, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member Thread Starter

I bought a player and several discs after these came out in 1981,I thought it was great at the time! Does anybody still have working players and disc collections?

Manutius and Dude111 like this.
  2. matt_vinyl

matt_vinyl Forum Resident

Yes, I do ! It still works fine, although it rarely gets used now. I enjoy those big film discs !

Dude111 likes this.
  3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I like the look of the package, but let's face it, this was the 8-track of its kind....prone to skips, video noise and artifacts, and just as bad, this was still a time when letterboxing was unheard of, so you've got tons of pan and scanned films, not to mention some with time compression added. Gadzooks! Horrors! :eek:

The movies themselves make nice display pieces for the artwork alone....

:ed:

Plan9 and longdist01 like this.
  4. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

I like laser discs! But thats something different than this.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

It was REALLY cool from an engineering standpoint. I mean, it's basically the same technology that Edison used but taken to such a wild level.

But Ed's right on. 8-track video basically. It was a pain! We had one when I was a kid. There was no way not to scratch those things.
    Worst of all, while some of our upwardly mobile neighbors were recording TV shows with their sexy new VCRs, the humble VideoDisc owners were left feeling like complete nerds.

It was a sad end to the RCA corporation. Sad, they put all of their eggs in that ill-fated basket.

dan c

6. whitenoise

whitenoise New Member

7. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

I nosed around the site just now. So was this "vinyl video"? Sounds like it would have been cool if they worked out all the problems Ed posted about!

8. Ed Bishop

Essentially, 'vinyl video' is not entirely wrong, but the 'stylus' was optical in nature, I believe...but really, it was a bad idea, not least because the laserdisc was also going to be available, and while both formats started out badly, the LD eventually drew Criterion's interest, the standards were raised(though not all the software kinks were ever totally removed from the equation), and the CED format, already riddled with problems, never really had a chance. And the price per title was not inexpensive, typical of that time before the(relatively)low tags we enjoy now.

I have a friend who has hundreds of these discs--many sealed--but I told him it would be doubtful he'd get much for them unless a CED enthusiast got wind of his stash and wanted to take them off his hands. Even then, most collectors won't pay premiums for stuff like this.

9. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

I just watched a video on the above site on the making of a disc - and it used terms we throw around here - master, mother, stamper etc. It was hokey, but a neat little novelty.

10. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

It actually was a stylus riding in grooves...only, it was a carbon-filled disc with an electrode on the stylus tip that read the peaks and valleys of the disc; the resulting voltage differences were what created the video. Clever if you think about it! :D

McLover likes this.
  11. Ed Bishop

Even more clever if it had worked over time....:D...which it didn't. Didn't take much to go wrong to make them skip, or have 'rot' issues(video noise, which looked a lot like the laser rot of the future)....:eek:

12. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member Thread Starter

RCA actually had solved most of the problems but it was too late. By the summer of 1984 players were selling here for $25.

McLover and longdist01 like this.
  13. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Cool. I love that ad. The disc is practically as big as the kid.

longdist01 likes this.
  15. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

No more console TV anymore either.

16. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

I was just watching Star Wars on CED the other day.

17. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My joke back in the 1980s was, "what does RCA's CED stand for? Certified Electronic Dud."

RCA wound up losing $580 million on this, and it was the beginning of the end of the company. The real problem with CED is that it was designed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, and they couldn't figure out a way to make it work for another decade. If they could've come out with it years before Betamax, it might have worked.

A terrible, terrible, terrible format. I never once saw an RCA CED disc that didn't skip. One RCA spokesman clarified: "oh, our disc players don't skip, in that you'll never see the same thing twice, like you would with a stuck LP. Our players will always jump forward, so you'll never experience that problem." :eek:

The RCA execs were in a total state of denial about how bad the product was, and what a mistake it had been to market it 10 years late...

McLover, Chris DeVoe and longdist01 like this.
  19. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

The RCA videodisc system was the first home video format I owned. VCR's were still pretty pricey at this time, so I bought the basic RCA player at Video Concepts for $229.00. There were several places to rent the discs and I also bought several. They were cheap compared to VHS tapes which could cost nearly a hundred dollars each in some cases.

altaeria and longdist01 like this.
  20. "In its first three years, RCA only managed to sell about 550,000 consoles, and on April 4, 1984, it pulled the plug. The system was never released in Europe. The company lost about $580 million on the project, and the losses crippled the company so much that General Electric later took it over in the U.S."

Ouch...I remember these videoboxes from my teenage years. A buddy of mine had a dad who used to rent one & it was a POS. We would rent concerts and movies and they all skipped & didn't work properly. However, I did find a cool relic of the early-video age a while ago...

Attached Files:

21. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

I know where to get a ton of these discs cheap, I saw them in a thrift store just today. PLEASE pm me if you want them, I will pick them up before they disappear.

Manutius likes this.
  22. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

I've got "Rust Never Sleeps" and a Who live disc as well on this format.

23. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

No real reason to watch CEDs, seeing as I don't believe there are any exclusive titles (unlike Laserdisc), but it's still really interesting.

24. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

What was it like?

I've always wondered if this could be done.

Also, has anyone ever made a Cassette tape video player. By that i mean, record video and audio on a standard cassette tape (the little ones for music) and be able to play it back like a video?

25. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Fisher-Price Pixel Vision video camera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PXL-2000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.