SH Spotlight Re: Audio Class w. Prof Hoffman - Equalization

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard, Jan 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard

Richard New Member Thread Starter

Steve: Thanks for the "Lesson 1 - Equalization" interview very useful and informative. Now I know exactly where to nudge to get a little CD warmth when needed and finally understand the "cloud." A couple of further questions:-

If you can say a few more words about "air" am not sure I really have a good sense of what that is, or, sounds like.

What frequencies on a 1/3 octave graphic eq. would you tweak down a hair to remove harshness that shows up on some CD's?

Same question with regard to CD's that are overly bright - what HZ would you routinely try shaving - or is brightness a lost cause, or simply a matter for the old treble control on the amp as the best that can be done.

Like your new site and looking forward to your new label. If you can ever get your hands on any good live classic rock tapes (Who, Cream, TYA, Kinks, Tull etc) would love to have them done right.

Richard

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hi Richard,

Very quickly, "air" is the area on a mastering EQ deck that is in the 12,000 to 16,000 cycle range. "Shimmer" is another word.

I NEVER add air. Really bugs me when engineers do. Brings the top end of the tape hiss up and makes my ears crazy. Almost every JVC XRCD does this. Typical Japanese style mastering trick. They LOVE air. Some of you probably do, too. Fine with me. I can always detect it and it bugs me. Sort of unnatural..

On a 1/3 octave, it is prety hard to remove harshness. The bands are not broad enough. But, try in the 6-8k range. Just a tiny bit, though. Never over do it!

Overly bright? Well, on your graphic, try in the 8 to 12k range. Usually does the trick.

Get yourself one of those funky BSR cheapo five band graphics from the 1970's. Probably find one on Ebay for next to nothing.

Much easier to use, broader, more flexable. Don't tell any of my audiophile buddies that you have that in the system though....

:D

3. Richard

Richard New Member Thread Starter

Thanks, Steve - much appreciated.

So too much 12-16khz is what gives that peculiar, fatigued, aching ear, sensation (apart from overly high vol.) that I sometimes get when nudging too aggressively?

Take care,

Richard

:)

4. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

Didn't you say you were tempted to boost 10k on LA Woman?

5. Steve Hoffman

Only tempted.

6. Steve Hoffman

Bump by request. What is "air" on a recording?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.