Re-released mono recordings

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bishop4444, Aug 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bishop4444

bishop4444 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am hoping you may be able to help me with some questions I have.
    I have done a lot of searching on the internet and cannot find an answer to questions I have on Mono vinyl recordings.
    I have a collection of my parents recordings going back to the early 50's which are mono.
    I had a spare turntable therefore I bought a mono cartridge and the sound quality of the old vinyl's has come alive with a drastic reduction in the top end clicks, pops etc.
    On some of my earlier stereo recordings, there is a warning note that
    "Stereo-phonic records should not be played on a standard monaural phonograph unless equipped with a compatible cartridge."
    I have in recent years bought some new mono recordings Beatles, Doors, that have had new master discs cut.
    So what my question is, can I play these new recordings on my mono setup?
    If the master was cut using a stereo cutter am I going to damage these records?
    How can I tell if the master was cut with a stereo or a mono profile needle?

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Great question, i am guessing that you cannot and assuming that is a big reason why some with only one turntable do not switch over to a mono cart?

3. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Wasn't that true in the 1960s, but fixed later to make them compatible, hence the phasing out of mono albums in the late 1960s?

(i.e. it shouldn't be a problem today. But others may know more than me. Actually, most likely they do.)

4. bishop4444

Hi all, Just thought I would give you an answer I have just received from the manufacturer of the mono cartridge I purchased, (Grado ME+).
    They have stated that there would be no problem with me playing the newer mono pressings with this cartridge, and it will not be damaging the vinyl whatsoever.

5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Great how much did it cost and is it easy to fit and do you need to switch for Stereo lps.

6. bishop4444

The Grado ME+ cost $195 Canadian.
    As I had a spare turntable I have fitted it to this, so with a good switching unit I can toggle the output signals between the Stereo and the Mono turntable. If you have a turntable with a removable head shell then I would suggest you buy a new head shell and just switch between them, also use the mono switch on the amp.
    What I also did as I didn't want 2 "Y" connections, (which would have meant 6 connection points in one line) I opened the mono turntable and soldered the left and right positive wires and the left and right negative wires together and therefore I was able to have one output cable then 1 "Y" into the switching unit, (this gave me 3 connections in one line).
    note: The output signal wires from the cartridge through the tone arm go straight to the output cable, they are no connected to any other electrical circuits within the turntable it's self. It works like a dream.
    Setup of the cartridge is quite easy if you have a gauge, and a square. The front and side surfaces of the cartridge are to be perpendicular to the surface of the vinyl. The gauge is used to ensure that it tacks in the groove correctly. I got my gauge from "LPgear" several years ago. There are several ones that are available for printing on the web, just check the scaling of the prints.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.