Re: Vintage speaker imaging/performance PART 2...Tannoy Ardens? Your thoughts, Steve?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, Jul 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

I was talking to a tube/vintage guy today on the phone when I was trying to track down some parts that I need and he was telling me about his favorite vintage speaker, the Tannoy Arden. He said that the Ardens and the Berkleys "image like crazy", "are easy as hell to drive", "love tubes", and "are the closest thing you will hear to live music". Steve, I know you have experience with these speakers. Would you agree with these statements? Perhaps a pair of vintage Tannoys would be the answer I am searching for. However, for some reason I recall you saying that the old Tannoys love/need a lot of power, but I'm not sure. This guy was also raving about old Spendors, but I was under the impression those were hard to drive also. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Old Tannoys need about 5 watts to work well. But a lot of money to buy.

I only know the vintage years, 1950's to 1973. After they phased out the last Monitor Golds in late 1973 I don't know.

Not a clue as to what the Arden sounds like. The speaker looks a lot like the typical 1980's Tannoy though. Here is one from 1982...

http://www.users.bigpond.com/tunnelgap/Tannoy/Cabinets2.html

3. audio

Thanks, Steve! Well, okay. They are definitely efficient enough. What about the poor imaging/soundstaging issues we've discussed with other vintage speakers? Do the Tannoys you've had experience with do better in that department? Also, do you have any comment about the old Spendor speakers?

4. Steve Hoffman

One comment then I've gotta go to work.

The Tannoys from 1974 on use this weird foam that disintegrates. The earlier design didn't. One reason the old stuff is so much money.

Spendors? Which ones? The BBC type? Too inefficient for tubes and big sound.

5. Steve Hoffman

Wait, get these. 98db efficient. I've used them on many projects. I like 'em. Same insides as their $15,000.00 Churchill speakers, just not the fancy wood covering:

http://www.tannoyna.com/professional/product_System15DMTII.html

About $2,500.00 used. I've powered them with 20 tube watts...

Suitable for mid-field or main monitoring, the System 15 DMT II is a versatile and powerful monitor offering the performance of Tannoy's 15" point-source Dual Concentric drive unit. This drive unit offers a phase-coherent point-source wavefront for accurate imaging and soundstage, whether mixing for two or multi-channel formats.

The monitor is capable of high sound pressure levels without compression and remains non-fatiguing, even over extended listening periods. The crossover is split into separate high and low frequency sections to minimize component interaction and can be bi-amplified if required. Crossover components were chosen to minimize distortions caused by component saturation. The 15" drive utilized in the System 15 DMT II is part of the latest generation of Dual Concentric units designed by Tannoy, a range of drivers that incorporate a dual magnet assembly, a "tulip" high frequency waveguide and an injection molded polypropylene low frequency cone.

Like all System Series enclosures, the System15 DMT II uses comprehensive internal bracing to reduce panel resonance, and rounded baffle edges to minimize high frequency diffraction effects.

Key Features

• Mid field or main studio reference monitor for recording studios and post-production
    • 15" Dual Concentric driver creates a coherent wavefront that is consistant both on and off axis
    • Monitor system for facilities where the main requirement is for high performance and natural sound reproduction
    • Works equally well for two channel and surround sound applications
    • High power handling with high output

6. audio

Okay, cool. You saved me from a possible nightmare. Yeah, I was talking about the Spendor BC 1 or BC 3. So one more thing, Steve. As far as the pre-1973 Tannoys, how are they in terms of imaging/soundstage?? You've not yet commented on that aspect of the units. Thanks for your help!!:thumbsup:

7. Steve Hoffman

Tannoys have a great soundstage. Why wouldn't they? :confused:

8. audio

That's wonderful to hear!!!:goodie: Well, the reason I thought they wouldn't is because of all this talk about "vintage speakers sound great and they are efficient as hell but they don't sound very three dimensional or airy, they don't image well, and they don't have a soundstage that's worth a darn." I'm not quoting anyone literally, of course, because I can't remember exactly what was said(I can check the archives), but that is the general impression I got and I was initially wondering if Tannoys fall into this category. A Vintage pair of Tannoys sounds like it might be the speaker for me, Steve. They play rock well, they image, they do bass, they are detailed, they are non-fatiguing, what more could I ask for? In fact, why buy a modern pair of speakers, I wonder?? Can you recommend any particular vintage models that you think are top notch? I know you like the Berkleys, right?

9. Steve Hoffman

Read my post two posts ago (three now I guess). Scroll up a few posts.

See my statement on the new Tannoy? Why spend $6,000.00 for a vintage pair?

10. audio

I know, I know. I saw that post. The reason I am interested in a vintage pair is because 1) I am a sucker for aesthetics 2) I have an amazing talent for finding deals ($50 at the Goodwill???!!!!) and I know I'll be able to pick up some inexpensive units. Thus said, I'd be more interested in the late '60s/early '70s models anyway and those aren't nearly as expensive as the earlier ones, are they?

11. Steve Hoffman

Any old Tannoy is much money. It's either a Red or a Gold until 1974. No matter, they are big bucks. I sold my pair of 1973 Tannoy Windsor Golds for $7,000 on eBay last year.

Look, if you can find a cheap pair, sure get them. But they have to be 15's, 12" won't do.

By the way, the modern ones don't stop at 12k for the top end, they go all the way up to deaf like normal speakers.

12. Steve Hoffman

13. ze-ant

ze-ant Forum Resident

I own a pair of Spendor BC1 circa 1974 and in my experience they are very easily driven by low powered tube amps and are tube friendly.

I have successfully driven them using a Sun Audio 2A3 SETA (3.5 watts/channel) and I know someone who has successfully driven them with a 1.5 watt amp, although IMHO the bass improves when you use amps with more power.

14. audio

I'm on it dude. I've been watching these since the beginning of the auction. I've already asked for a shipping quote, which is probably going to kill the whole deal since I couldn't be further from Toronto.

15. Steve Hoffman

They are going to go for a lot. This guy sells a lot of good stuff. Can't imagine where he gets it. Consigns from others I guess, unless there are a lot of thrift stores up there!

16. audio

Who knows. There are a lot of Tannoys in Canada on the cheap, so I've heard. I can't remember who told me that, but I remember someone saying something along those lines. If you had to guess, what do you think these are going to go for, Steve?

Also, I wanted to ask you...which years did they fix that crappy foam surround issue? Is it pretty much everything post '73 that is bad or is this an issue that was fixed into the '80s? What do you think of these, by the way?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2546606684&category=23794

17. Steve Hoffman

I have no idea what those are going to go for. All depends on if some rich guy from Japan wants them or not. I sure would.

As for the later pair, I'm not a big fan of the later stuff, 'cause they don't sound "old". To me, there are two types of Tannoys, the old pre-1974 and the 1990 and later stuff. Anything in between sounds too pinched for me.

I have no idea when that Foam stuff stopped being used.

18. audio

Thanks a bunch, Steve. I appreciate your advice. I can't wait until this is all over and I can post some photos of my new(old) system.

19. Steve Hoffman

Funny, you couldn't GIVE those types of horn speakers away in the 1970's and 80's. Blame it on the Japanese; they were the first to realize that tubes and vintage speakers were a perfect match.

20. audio

Reminds me of a similar scenario with regard to old Fender guitars and Vox amps.

21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Really? Weird. I should hunt around a bit, I guess...

I know of an auctioneer who has a house full of stuff....

22. MARKM

MARKM Member

Hi Prix & Steve,

Prix - have you considered a Lowther-based type of horn? These don't have to be massive - I am currently using cabinets that are only 1m or so high and 30cm deep (but of very rigid ply).

Once run in properly these horns - where placed correctly will even produce "real world" bass - not earth shattering but suprising.

I use these with both a Leak Stereo 20 (push pull EL84's) based system and a Cary CAD 300B SEI single-ended amp - to excellent effect.

Best regards,

MarkM
    Windsor / UK

23. Steve Hoffman

Greetings, Mark,

How's the weather there?

Prix isn't a Lowther kind of guy I think. My pair is nice but I think Prix wants some serious bass action. Hard to get with my Medallions.

24. audio

It's not that I am in need of MASSIVE bass because to tell you the truth, I'm not really that much of a bass freak. I would rather hear tight, focused, defined notes than window shattering boom any day. I only want to hear what is actually there and since I listen to primarily classic rock and soul, I figure I better go with a speaker that is capable of delivering the goods. That's why I'm looking to vintage.

25. MARKM

MARKM Member

Hi Steve,

At the moment, typical British summer, cool and wet - but we had ca. 30c week before last - from one exteme to the other (again, typical!). Was in Portugal the other day (love the place), 35c +. I stayed in the shade......

OK - if Prix want's to listen to Rock/Pop music that demands more "serious" bass, Lowthers are not the route. For my classical/jazz/acoustic music c/w tubes and the horns set-up close to the wall they are great though.

OT - got a copy of "Tony Bennett At Carnegie Hall" yet Steve? ;-) ;-)

Cheers!
    MarkM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.