Ready to buy a new turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Madness, Apr 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear." Thread Starter

Budget: <$1,000
    Pre-amp? No
    Quality cart included: Yes

I've been looking at lots of turntables: Rega, Music Hall, Thorens, Pro-Ject, U-Turn. I just can't make up my mind. For my budget, how good of a TT/cart combo can I expect?

Thanks.

2. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Rega Planar 2 with the Carbon cartridge. Great performer and bang for the buck. Done.

MIA2RDU and Gavinyl like this.
  3. Madness

That's a nice looking turntable. Looking for authorized dealers in the USA.

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Planar 3 is only $945 w/o cartridge. That allows you to choose one, but the price goes up according to your choice. It is available as a package with their Elys 2 cartridge for $1145.
    -Bill

vintage_tube and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

You probably also want to factor in the TT-PSU. Unless you only ever play 33 or 45, removing that platter each time you want to change speed is gonna get quite annoying pretty quickly.

Rich C and andybeau like this.
  6. Madness

I only plan on 33 1/3 and probably never 45.

7. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

In which case you save yourself some money and have a more simple set-up :)

andybeau likes this.
  8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It hasn't bothered me for the last 20 years. Doesn't happen often that I play a 45, and when I do, it takes less time ( a few seconds) than many spend futzing with clamps, etc.
    -Bill

9. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Rega Planar 2 and Planar 3 are great options at that price point.

VPI has the new Cliffwood turntable that hopefully will be coming out in the near future as well.

Rickchick likes this.
  10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

[​IMG]
    And you got 300 bucks left for a cart of your choice

11. Raffy Raff

Raffy Raff Forum Resident

Planar 3 or maybe a closeout (if any exist) RP3 would be my choice in that price range. I feel that the improvements in the "3" over the "2" (both arm and deck) are well worth it.

12. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

I love my Pro-Ject with built-in speed control. Remember, 45rpm isn't solely for 45s anymore. I have quite a few 12 inchers that are 45rpm - The Doors, Amy Winehouse to name a few.

13. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Maybe a stretch, but used Marantz tt 15...Might be in your range....Very tempting....

14. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

My vote goes to the P3 - though I've never heard one. When I was making the choice back in 2009 it was between an P3-24 or a Technics - I went with the Technics - but since that isn't available (for that price) I'd easily be happy with the Rega.

15. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i have a pro-ject debut lll with some upgrades and have been happy with it for the past 13 years.
    for $1000 or or so the new pro-ject classic looks nice and i think it comes with a cart installed.

Squiggsy68 and SteveM like this.
  16. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

OK, most of the posters have spent your money without reading your requirements. Good luck finding the Planar 3 WITH CART for less than 1K. I'm going in the completely opposite direction here. U-Turn Orbit, genuine real wood plinth with 2m blue cartridge, way less than $700, leaving $300+ for records! Yeah! Oh, and guess what? The damned turntable works well, looks great and sounds wonderful! There is no other company in the industry that will provide the customer service they do either. I started this post sort of as a joke, but damn it, for less than 1K I'd stack the Orbit-plussed-up against any of the typical contenders.

George Blair, Gramps Tom and HiFi Guy like this.
  17. Helom

Helom Forum member

I have yet to read a negative opinion on these Rega P3s, I'm thinking they're probably a safe bet.

18. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Buy used. I got my Music Hall 7.1 with a great AT cart and motor controller for under $1k. And it is a very, very good setup. I'm not saying you'll find the same thing, but deals are out there. I also got a Clearaudio Concept for $1k with Concept MM cart, brand new, for $1k almost two years ago. Just be patient.

riverrat and FashionBoy like this.
  19. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

So, you have a problem with your new Rega. You would love to discuss the issue with Roy Gandy and have him assess the problem and dispatch a replacement part that afternoon.
    Haha! Fantasy!

Guess what? With U-Turn, your email will likely be answered within a few hours by one of the company founders, who will ensure that you are listened to, your issue analyzed, and will ship a fix that same day. U-Turn literally works that way. The value of their turntables goes way up in my mind because of their service.

20. Madness

Yeah I actually took a look at the U-Turn and the "build your own" option. Lots of good choices offered up by the various posters, but like you said, my requirement is to have the table and cart. And I guess I don't really care if it has a pre-amp or not...my receiver has phono input, but it has other inputs as well if one does come with the pre-amp.

Thanks.

21. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

Oh, I forgot to mention that for much less than $700 the U-Turn special I described comes with integral Pluto preamp. Many prefer an external preamp, but FWIW the very highest-end Orbit with 2m blue plus the Pluto plus the real wood plinth comes in at $665. I have that machine and love it. I also had to deal with U-Turn regarding a couple of minor issues and interacted with one of the owners himself. Pro-Ject, Rega, Music Hall, they're all great options but when it comes to value for dollar combined with customer service none of them can hold a candle to U-Turn.

Gramps Tom likes this.
  22. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

MusicDirect very often has specials on turntables. Sometimes the deals are so good - you won't believe it's possible. Counter-intuitively, the specials are seldom on the entry-level in-demand tables, as those sell well as it is. But on much higher-up pieces, that with those special prices suddenly fall withing your budget, or very close to it. Case in point - they recently had an Avid Ingenium with a Jelco 250ST arm for $1,200. While I was trying to ask opinions in this forum (and got none) - someone scooped it up quickly enough. I'm not saying you should get an Avid, but, if you're patient and keep an eye on a few pertinent retailers who run specials often: MusicDirect and AudioAdviser, to name two, your thousand dollars may just get you a lot more than you expect, with a cart to boot.

SpeedMorris and wgb113 like this.
  23. teag

teag Forum Resident

Rega is cartridge limited. I have one for my 2nd system. I believe it could require shims for many non Rega carts.

They do sound great though. High quality.

24. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

MMF 5 SE would be right in your wheelhouse.

Vinyl Addict and George Blair like this.
  25. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The new P3 isn't really cartridge limited. I am using a Dyna 202xh on mine, though I did have to spring for the heavier counterweight for 180 bucks. The shims are no big deal unless a person changes cartridges often. Fremer used a 1500 dollar AT cart in his review on Analog Planet, and I think Jeff Dorgay used a pretty expensive cartridge in his review. I doubt the OP will have to worry about the big counter weight with the cartridges that will be in his price range. Rega has really knocked it out of the park with this table. Unlike some other tables being mentioned, its not really an entry level TT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.