Ready to dump your CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andy, May 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I'm seriously considering doing the same with my 1500-to-2000 disc collection. I've been working on selling my discs off piecemeal for some time, but it's such a slow and tedious process. It'd be nice to unload them in one go.

I want back the space that they consume. I virtually never touch most of them... I'd be happy keeping maybe 100 or 200 of them and jettisoning the rest.

2. Okonrad

Okonrad Forum Resident

I have a huge investment in CDs (not as much as my lp collection, but still, huge). And not enough time in my life to burn all of them either (though most of the bluegrass and old-time stuff has been transfered to a lap top to facilitate production of a weekly radio show I do).

Here's my current prediction...

Within 7 or 8 years, except for a few audiophille outlets with a very limited catalog, one will not be able to purchase a digital copy of a recording online. Digital music will be for the vast number of consumers a matter of music streaming.

The relatively small, but rabid, community of music fans who actually want to ouright own an unrestricted digital copy are going to want the compact disc release.

Value of a careful cared for and curated collection of compact discs, skyrockets.

You can see some of this happening now when compact disc go out of print. I think the trend is only going to accelerate as digital music consumption shifts for all intents and purposes to streaming.

My two cents.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    jsayers, chodad and rcsrich like this.
  3. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Get 'em while they're hot! :D

Okonrad likes this.
  4. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

I tend to agree with you. I hope to sell my large collection to another collector in the next ten-twelve years or so. I'll be closing in on 75 by then, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise!

John B Good, Okonrad and rcsrich like this.
  5. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

Oh, hell yeah. Matter of fact - as a public service, mind you - I am now accepting shipments of your old CDs. PM me for details, but suffice to say once I receive all those goodies - er, I mean old, useless CDs - rest assured I'll dispose of them properly. Honest. :whistle:

abbeyroad2, rcsrich and Okonrad like this.
  6. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Dump my CDs? I wasn't ready in 2002, I am not ready now and I think it'll take more than another 12 years for me to reach that stage.

Dynamic Ranger and Sordel like this.
  7. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

never...additional insurance $ for the offspring....

8. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

I also see digital providers like Amazon being licensed by some record companies to provide "one-off" physical CD's for those wanting a physical copy- I think I read this is already happening with some tough to get jazz titles- you get a CD-R in the mail rather than a pressed copy. But someday, I doubt physical copies will be produced anymore, period.

9. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Well because it's been done so many times in the past. Join the club.

Jerryb likes this.
  10. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

I've ditched stuff like Mojo CDs that came with magazines and common stuff- I've ripped everything to lossless but as long as I have an attic I'd rather throw them up there than sell them for a quarter each

11. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

No way .. I love my LPs overall more but no I will not be giving up my CD s either anytime soon , I have been collecting and listening to physical format music since I was a pre teen , I think own a total of 5 music files !!!

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I'm buying the CDs that others are dumping. Being a classical music fan, there's plenty of bargain basement titles, almost always in mint condition. Yesterday bought four CDs of performances I was specifically looking for, managed to pay 95¢ each for four titles, the store threw in another for free. SACDs? Nope, they never got any traction, much less take over the industry. In fact, what 'Industry'? As for streaming, you can have it.

Front 242 Addict and c-eling like this.
  13. abbeyroad2

abbeyroad2 Forum Resident

This made me smile. I'm not into vinyl myself but I think it's great that you came back around.

ARK and Skydogg like this.
  14. Okonrad

Okonrad Forum Resident

You're absolutely right. Labels like Rounder do this now. When I shop on Amazon I keep my head on a swivel to avoid the CDR and get the original CD release. But even this CDR stop-gap is going to pass. Businesses like Apple and Amazon are not going spend significant money maintaining a download product that the majority of consumers don't want. It's going to be streaming, and small LP and CD press/runs for new releases going forward. And if you want to own back catalog digital or anlaog, you will be shopping in the used market....in many instances for something with limited supply and very high demand.

rcsrich likes this.
  15. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

I'm also new to buying CDs, having spent my life begging/borrowing/hiring and recording onto cassette/mini disc.
    I bought a perfect CD the other day with a £15.99 price tag for 20p - it's a gold rush.

rcsrich likes this.
  16. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I'm all about Physical Media. I'll never go to downloading, streaming clouding, or whatever else. So No, I will not dump my CDs, nor my Records.

17. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Ditto !!!!

18. Abbey Road

Abbey Road Well-Known Member

When I bought my piano a few years ago, I dumped about 1/2 of my collection to make room. I'm not really that attracted to physical media anymore, mostly due to the space it takes up. I'll still buy CDs when a lossless digital copy isn't available for purchase, or if the packaging or contents are really special.

Physical media is way overrated, IMO.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  19. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Amazing what one can learn on this forum. This is my new way of eating corn tortillas! And now back to our regularly scheduled programing.

dartira and Atmospheric like this.
  20. Not for those that prefer it.

21. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Never...my gigantic iTunes library was wiped out this week when I just updated to Yosemite somehow (was not saved on hard drive due to reconfiguring the Time Capsule wrong)....NOW I am ripping my "hobby" again totally into Apple Lossless(unlike the past) and unlike before and it sounds better this time..

Smiths22 likes this.
  22. RightOff

RightOff Well-Known Member

The value of CDs, with the exception of the rarest titles, will keep going down and never rise. CDs are a worthless format, because you can duplicate the CD on the computer, and the vinyl record give a person who wants a physical item much more of what they buy a physical item for.

The CD filled the needs of a particular time, but that time has ended.

Rodz42 likes this.
  23. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

How much do you want to bet, that in about twenty years from now, the next generation will start a CD renaissance just like what is going on with vinyl now. Part of the appeal with vinyl to the younger generation is that they feel that they missed out on the "experience".

I have met many Gen Y and Millennial s(I hate using those classifications, but it helps in making the point) that feel that they were born in the wrong era . They are really the group fueling the whole vinyl resurgence, not so much the boomers. What ever generation that follows will think that CD's weren't so bad.

I have a large collection of both vinyl and digital music. The bad rap that CD'd are getting is purely propaganda in my opinion. Much of it is unwarranted. Keep those CD's people!

Prophetzong, no.nine and abbeyroad2 like this.
  24. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

wow! really?

Same here mate, ipod touch has been killed, im keeping my cd's more than ever.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    jerrygene likes this.
  25. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I'm going to dump my CDs once I stop collecting.

jsayers and Malina like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.