Ready to dump your CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andy, May 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HumanMachinery

HumanMachinery Forum Resident

Nope. I buy a lot of FLAC files, but in many cases CD is still the best available format for several titles. The only thing that frustrates me is albums that have never received a good mastering on either digital format.

Rundfunk likes this.
  2. tcj

tcj Senior Member

That's why you keep backups in different places. I've got them backed up on a drive at home, the "most important" 15-16,000 on a 160gb iPod, on iTunes Match (iffy due to weird matching), and also on Amazon's cloud music service. I'm pretty well covered if something were to ever happen to my music.

3. happydeathman

happydeathman Forum Resident

I wasn't ready in 2002, and I'm still not ready now...ask me again in 2026 (if I'm still here).

c-eling likes this.
  4. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Dumped all of mine about ten months ago, mostly because I never play them anymore.

Other people's mileage may vary.

Kustom 250 likes this.
  5. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

I'll probably always keep my discs...

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  6. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Absolutely not; over the last twelve months or so, I've bought LOTS of secondhand discs (can't afford new) and most of have them have been original pre-remastered versions (and all the better for it) and lots of mid-late '80s Various Artists comps . The vast majority of these I've paid less than 50p for. And I'm not going to stop now.

7. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I don't understand your logic. The CDR's are made by Alliance, I believe that is them at the link below. The CDR's are made on demand. Amazon makes money. The license holder makes money. Alliance makes money. The cost to Amazon and the license holder is zero, only the third party vendor has the manufacturing cost and that is on demand so they have the fee from the consumer before the product is produced - no warehouse space, etc. The downloads are even cheaper - server space. The prices they charge to download a cd worth of music or a box set is high and after paying the license holder it's almost pure profit.

https://www.aent.com/

8. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

It seems to me you violated the basic protocol of saving your collection on the hard drive - you should have had two backups at least. You pulled a total bonehead move and now you're blaming a computer program for your mistake.

9. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

On THIS forum??? Or just in general "out there"?? :confused:

10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Uhg, every time I try to slow down I end up finding a good deal on the bay (Usually from German sellers with excellent shipping costs) and just one turns into six, it's complete madness...

11. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I can't see myself dumping the cds that I already own. I"ve invested a substantial amount of time and money into acquiring those titles. However, I do see myself gradually moving over to lossless files for future purchases. As long as I make a few backups, I should be covered.

4stringking73 likes this.
  12. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Thankfully, with some exceptions of course, my musical tastes have always been a little "left of center" if you will - no Aerosmith or Nirvana cds in my cd collection. Not knocking those two bands - they are just very popular and sold millions - examples of cds that will always be in the used bins for $1 or two or 1 cent on Amazon. I own lots of punk, alternative, classic and progressive rock that's probably unfamiliar to your casual fm radio classic rock listener, etc. Lots of imports and hi-res cds, boxed sets, etc. I refuse to sell my stuff off for pennies on the dollar - I've already traded in or sold off my "schwag" - tons of it. I'll just hang on to what I have and if it holds or increases in value sell some or most of it at some point in the future, if not it can accompany me into the unknown when I pass on. :agree:

13. Rundfunk

Rundfunk Forum Resident

I should also add that I'm kind of an "early adopter". I've used my computer as a digital front end for nearly two decades, with or without dedicated dacs. I started downloading mp3's back in 1995, lossless files probably in the early 00's, I've used Spotify (and other streaming services) since it was in beta here in Sweden, probably around 2008.

I've basically always collected vinyl records and cd's on top of that, they often offer something that downloads and streaming services cannot proved, be it the packaging or the mastering or both.

My point is that it's not contradictory to embrace new technology while keeping what's good with the existing formats. On the contrary, I should say.

serge and billnunan like this.
  14. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

I will never get rid of my cds, I enjoy listen to them and I will keep enjoy them , they will stay with me forever .

Rundfunk likes this.
  15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don't. And frankly your blanket statement and response were an insult to my intelligence...and probably yours.

16. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Who says I am blaming the computer....? Nor the program.
    Guess I am not as knowledgable nor logical as you.
    Live and learn...

17. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Naah, CDs SACDs etc etc have all been replaced by digital files. But I still have my LP collection, and if a good master/remaster is on CD, then that's what I buy

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

In case anyone is interested, a recent auction of a nice set of early 1980's CD's garnered some very nice prices on Yahoo Auctions here in Japan. I bid on about 10 or 15 items, and was outbid on everything. Some notable ones:

Crosby Stills Nash - Allies WG Target (with gold 38XP "sticky" obi) - $64
    Queen - The Game WG Target - $73
    Queen - News of the World WG Target - $73
    Saturday Night Fever - WG Polydor "red face" - $186
    Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Blvd. WG Polydor "red face" (with "sticky" obi) - $132
    Abba -The Visitors Discomate CDP-101 (with obi) - $436
    Abba - Super Trouper CDP-102 (with obi) - $494

The only one I wish I had bid a bit more is the CSN Allies WG Target in the Japan 38XP packaging. I bid around $80 or so for those Abba CD's, which I thought would be a bargain, but might be enough - obviously not. Someone is still buying rare CD's, it seems.

19. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

Kinda same thing for me. Just dumped about 30 more the past month. I'm pretty much down to the ones that i want to keep though at this point.

20. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Oh my, I'm hoping you meant Hong Kong dollars :D (Yes I know HK is not Japan)

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I calculated US$ based on 100¥/$. I was pretty shocked by those Abba CD's. Those obis are definitely rare, but yikes! They also had a Michael Jackson Off the Wall "gold face" 35DP-2 that is hella-rare. Wish I knew what that went for, but I didn't bid, so I'm not sure what the final price was.

22. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

The Forum is a working Time Machine :)

23. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

New cars are dropping cd players :(

24. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

That's a shame, as I like purchasing a new album and listening to it on the way home.

4stringking73 likes this.
  25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'll dump CDs as soon as they come up with something better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.