Ready to dump your CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andy, May 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

I would never dump my cd's. Never. cd's are my vinyl. Okay I am not really that young but by the time I was old enough to have a decent taste in music it was all about cd's. Spent too much money over the years especially with my Blues & Jazz collection.

Carserguev likes this.
  2. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I agree that no one will ever get busted for it, but how is it different than illegally downloading music? The artist gets paid for selling one CD and an unlimited number of people can rip that CD and just pass it along to others... it's exactly the same thing as P2P sharing, it's just much slower because there's a physical product involved.

3. PSNEJon

PSNEJon Well-Known Member

So where's the moral issue with buying used CDs?

4. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

There's nothing wrong with buying used CDs, as long as the person who sold it to you deleted any digital copies they made. Once you sell the CD you give up your ownership to any digital copies you made with that CD.

5. PSNEJon

But how do artists benefit from that? If, as you say above, the artist "gets paid for selling one CD", buying used is still technically screwing them out of a second purchase and instead lining the pockets of the seller.

6. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Not sure how much an artist gets for the sale of 1 cd, but personally, I wouldn't mind paying 50 cents more for a used cd, if that went directly to the artist. And I'd bet...that's more than they get for the sale of 1 NEW cd !

7. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I wouldn't.

8. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

It's not that hard to understand... The logic of most people is "I ripped my entire CD collection and I never use the physical media, so why not just sell them?". That's true, however, once you no longer own the CD you are SUPPOSED to delete your digital copies because you no longer own the CD. If there was some way to enforce the law, and people were forced to delete all their digital copies of the music when they sold their CDs, than a lot of the used CDs out there wouldn't be for sale in the first place. Thus, the second person in the chain would have to buy a new CD (from which the musician would benefit).

9. OnTheRoad

Not sure if you were answering to my post..as in "paying 50 cents more for a used cd if it went directly to the artist ?

But if so...why not ?

50 cents is peanuts...even from my measly wallet.

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Why must every thread about dumping some format have to have someone's finger-wagging about someone's interpretation of legalities?

jsayers, Rodz42, tcj and 1 other person like this.
  11. Grant

Don't preach. Almost no one deletes the music of an album or CD they sell. It just ain't gonna happen. So why keep on about it?

Starwanderer and jsayers like this.
  12. Grant

I have an idea: why doesn't everyone leave their ideas of morality out of these discussions?

Starwanderer and jsayers like this.
  13. Synthfreek

Because the only CDs I've been buying for a while are $1 CDs from Half-Price and I buy them on discount days or use a coupon so they're like 75 cents.

14. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

It's not an interpretation at all. Now I know why some musicians bitch about illegal file sharing... it's become so commonplace that the majority of people (including those on an audiophile message board) don't even know whats right and wrong.

:tsk:

15. Synthfreek

I think that's what he was implying.

PSNEJon likes this.
  16. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

I just started buying and collecting early CD versions, like Barry Diament - mastered Led Zep, RCA Bowie etc. That's fun. You can`t "collect" digital files, can you?

17. Grant

Yes, you can.

Starwanderer likes this.
  18. Grant

You miss the point. Preaching to people in every thread does no good. First, people don't like being preached to. They rebel. Second, you are pushing your version of morality on people. Perold don't like that, either. Third, you wind up ruining threads like this every time you, or someone who is like you decides to preach morality.

I fully understand about people getting compensated for their work, but ditching the CDs after ripping them isn't the right place for your agenda.

jsayers and Rodz42 like this.
  19. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

They don't, but they got paid when the first CD was sold (unless it was a cut-out; I don't know what happens with cut-outs, but labels try to make it as difficult as possible to resell them; promo CDs on the other hand remain the property of the record label). You cannot expect the artist to get paid if the CD is sold secondhand, any more than GM might expect payment on the sale of secondhand cars. Once the CD is sold, then it's no longer your property.

20. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I don't have an agenda at all, I'm just saying what the law is. It has nothing to do with my morality, I never talked about what I do personally. But to hide behind this morality defense is just ridiculous, what we're talking about is black and white... just because you can't get caught doesn't make it a moral choice, it's still illegal.

I won't say anything else about it.

21. OnTheRoad

I get a lot of used cd's for a pittance as well..but really...50 cent ain't **** !! (double entrende there :D )

22. PSNEJon

I was.

23. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I dumped all of my CDs in 2003 for several hundred dollars. I could probably buy them all back now for several dollars.

24. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Why is this bad?

25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I have been scaling down my CD collection quite a bit and beefing up my record collection. I get more enjoyment from LPs.

Rodz42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.