SH Spotlight Real nice Steve Hoffman interview in 2 parts, both up now!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by robertk, Jul 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I think this was the reason why CD Mastering 2 of Born To Run is the forum favorite. Because the vocals are the most natural sounding.

2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Good interview! Nice read. Thanks for sharing.

3. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Good interview, very down-to-earth questions and replies. Anyone who thinks audiophiles are maladjusted control freaks and weirdos should read this!

One thing I learned years ago, is Steve's approach to mastering. It was an "Aha!!" moment, and became the same approach I try to use when mixing:
    When he was remastering CCR albums, he concentrated on Fogerty's vocals, and built the remastering process and frequency tweaks around that.
    Ever since, when I mix live, I try to apply that to my mix choices. Whenever possible, I look at YouTube videos, or recordings of the - usually local- band I'm working with. I get the focus of the band, and go from there. You don't have to make everything be in your face and bassy, like a lot of sound mixers do these days. Gets fatiguing after a short while.

hodgo likes this.
  4. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Very nice interview. I am one of those early 500 to 700 members that was a member of the original DCC forum. I've been here basically since the start and I'm proud to say that I check in almost every day. Great site and great members! Thanks Steve. Would love to shake your hand some day. Guys like Fremer and Hoffman are people who I look up to as "Rock Stars."

5. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

What a fabulous interview, with excellent questions and answers from John Seetoo and Steve.

6. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Great stuff!!

7. Lon

Lon Senior Member

Great interview!

8. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Excellent interviews! Thanks for posting these.

9. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

That was excellent.

So he likes the new "Pepper"? :)

10. gates69

gates69 Music Junkie

Enjoyed that very much. Thanks!

11. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

Thanks for the link ... great interviewer and similarly great answers from our host.

12. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident

Great interview of a great guy whose lifelong personal passion has added untold value to my life.

13. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Fascinating interview. I am blessed to work with an audio engineer (I'm a video producer) who also believes in the power of analog, and he always creates art with even the simplest voiceover work...

14. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I just read part 2. Excellent, and I agree with Steve I wish companies go back to natural sounding recordings. I've come to realize many younger listeners don't know the timbre of actual instruments.

Some under 40 music lovers I am friendly with listen to a wide variety of music from all eras. They are open to different genres but they can't distinguish a sax from a clarinet or a trumpet from a trombone. They'll often say, "I love this sound, what instrument is that?"

They were raised in an era of drum machines, sampling, and synthesizers. In addition many schools didn't have bands or music programs for students so they have no frame of reference for unprocessed natural acoustic instruments.

CusBlues likes this.
  15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Even if they don't know the sounds of instruments they should be very familiar with how the human voice sounds and be able to recognize when a recorded human voice sounds natural. We're around unprocessed natural sounding human voices all the time.

Sneaky Pete and BradOlson like this.
  16. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Fantastic interview. While I have been a serious music lover my entire life, it was only in the last 25 that I really came to appreciate Steve, Kevin Gray, Bob Ludwig, Doug Sax etc. Their contributions to my enjoyment are immeasurable.

CusBlues and Sneaky Pete like this.
  17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Great interview.

18. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Good stuff

19. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

Great interview. We need Part three. Steve has great stories if you can pry them out of him.

20. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks for posting, really enjoyed reading this!

21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

quite enjoyed this...thanks.

22. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

Cheers for the heads-up. That was an enjoyable read!

23. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

It could have been pointed out when discussing the Forum that Steve never charged a nickel for membership and never sought ads. Very generous.

24. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

That was a great interview!

25. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Here is another SH interview from nearly 20 years (DEC 1997)!

Steve Hoffman (Producer)

(Didn't see this posted previously, my apologies if it's already been posted.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.