Really bad photoshopping jobs on posters and DVD/Blu-Ray covers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I hate really bad / obvious photoshopping jobs done on posters and DVD and Blu-Ray covers!

For example, this one that I just spotted on tvshowsondvd.com:

[​IMG]

They obviously put in another baby's head and arm on another baby's body and "placed" the whole thing into her empty, posed arms digitally ("Okay, just stand there and pretend you're holding a baby...". ), but even just a quick glance at that cover will tell you that it's a badly doctored photo.

They didn't even shrink the overlayed head "part" enough to look right proportionally on the baby's body. The poor baby looks like it has some kind of disease that makes their head inflate like a balloon!

I think even Joe Average consumer looking at this cover would take a look at this and say "Why does the baby look so weird like that?".

2. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

Oh, Wiseau. You never fail to amuse me.
    [​IMG]

Mal, Plan9, audiomixer and 1 other person like this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is bad.

audiomixer likes this.
  4. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

But... If there was a photo of a baby that was not photoshopped, there would still be people explaining how it was photoshopped, and how wrongly. Pull out any photo from your own photos file, and you can make the same arguments - lighting is wrong, limbs are obviously added, etc.. That we know (or reasonably suspect) that they mix-and-matched the best adult expression and the best baby expression informs us that this one has been shopped, more than any evidence.

What is always surprising to me about old tv show releases is how few promo photos make it into the hands of the package designer. Maybe all the good ones were strictly for use in promotion and require new deals for use on packaging. Or maybe no one knows where the photo archive went to.

Toby Benjamin likes this.
  5. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Note that the title "The Room" has been trademarked! You are all on notice, other filmmakers with the word "room" in your titles.

6. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

[​IMG]

Although made at least ten years before Photoshop, this cover for a german bootleg tape of "Friday the 13th Part III" looks just awful.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Why? I'm sure the poster is no more awful than the movie.

audiomixer likes this.
  8. PaulKTF

The poster is great! Click here to see it (it's too big to post in the thread).

9. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

At least it was one of the better sequels (of course, that still doesn't make it a good movie^^)

10. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I think it has more to do with poor composition skills than the tools used to achieve the wreckage.

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The film title's typeface/font looks terribly 'cheap'. And the eyes of that guy's face look like pasted over.

12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Bootleg artwork always looks awful.

13. PaulKTF

Jason 3, Teenagers 0.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  14. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

[​IMG]

Really always? ;)
    That one's a rather interesting bootleg, taking the DVD menu from the last official german release by Kinowelt (2003) but inserting the DC scenes and bonus material from more recent US editions of the disc. Unfortunately it's still an unethical release, but a well-done one for sure!

15. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

And this time, he's bringing along his funky disco theme as well :D

16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Huh? I don't understand. This Menace II Society DVD (which I also own btw) is not a bootleg.
    What does that have to do with the bootleg Jason 3 thing?

17. PaulKTF

I think he's saying that a bootleg DVD was made which took (stole) the cover from the official release (you have the official release and someone copied the cover from that release).

andrewskyDE and LeBon Bush like this.
  18. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Sorry! I forgot to mention that this bootleg literally took the very cover from the US disc. You only recognize it as a bootleg if you live in a german-speaking country because it has the german DVD menu and dubbing with a new cover - one that was designed for a US re-release 10 years after the last official german DVD went OOP. A bootleg made to look like a legit release from another country.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  19. PaulKTF

Well he did kill that one girl in the disco on the ship in Part VIII. Hmm... :)

LeBon Bush likes this.
  20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Ah okay. Sorry, didn't know that.
    Though, that maybe doesn't count, as that DVD artwork was made first for official releases.
    Bootlegs which have "unique" made artwork on the package usually don't look professional IMO.

LeBon Bush likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.