"Really Useful Boxes" for storage records and cds

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

They were designed for records specifically the XL versions with extended lid and they fit all but odd oversized LP sleeves incl with polythene or the dodgy polycarbonate covers. I've got a couple thousand Lps in them and only three were too wide to fit. Even some box sets will go in fine but most are now non standard and there isn't anything that is an exact fit. If they were any wider discs would move about. The 9L XL is in fact a little wide for singles in standard paper sleeves. I first saw them used by dealers at record fairs.

eddiel and Gumboo like this.
  2. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

more options on cardboard boxes for 12 Inch: GRADED COMIC BOX:

Graded Comic Storage Box »
    • Box Exterior Dimensions (WxHxD): 8 1/2 x 13 x 15 3/4
    a nice thing is you have 15 3/4 of space on sides, even if you insert your fingers in the holes that are used to hold the box you don't touch the records, maybe the only downside is the top is tight 13inch but well usually records with sleeves are around 12.5inch, and the last width 8 1/2, so you can hold around 30 LPs and that is good thing because the LPs stay vertical, I don't like racks or big boxes that holds a lot records because records tends to inclined.

another brand E. Gerber Products, LLC. - Item Listing » almost same size but 14inch high.

3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Any certain Rubbermaid bins that fit CDs particularly well. I have about 400 CDs in boxes that I would like to move to a bin or 2.

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I always thought that some of the sizes were done specifically for media storage. I used to see the distributors set up at the Olympia Record Fair all the time. But the XL lid is the key. Without it, records will not fit. I find the fit to be perfect. I was just looking at one of mine yesterday. Fits with sleeves, a little bit of room on the sides which is just enough space. I wish I could buy more with the XL lids here in Canada. They only sell limited sizes and none with the XL lid. A right pain in the back side. I've written emails but they disappeared to wherever ignored emails disappear to.

I much prefer these to the old milk crates.

5. stenway

that's one reason why I said that are NOT totally designed for records, why? the 19 and 35 litre sizes are very different, same happens for the 7inch, I do the math... there's not a proportional relation between sizes etc.

example:

Go Shopping - Really Useful Boxes - 19 litre XL Really Useful Box »
    Internal: 12 5⁄8" x 8 3⁄8" x 12 1⁄2"
    (length x width x depth in inches)

Go Shopping - Really Useful Boxes - 35 litre XL Really Useful Box »
    Internal: 14 9⁄16" x 12 1⁄2" x 12 1⁄4"
    (length x width x depth in inches)

the length and depth (high) should be the the same for both but is different, the width can change of course.

for the reason I think records with outer sleeves don't fit, is a shame that don't have enough space,
    it seems only the 35XL have space (based on the patient_ot picture)

owners of 12 LP, 7 Singles and CD boxes more pictures/videos are WELCOME! there's not REAL pictures online. :righton:

I need buy a lot so, I don't want waste my money, shipping is expensive, I need confirm that really works.

6. stenway

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Even if mine with sleeves fit in these boxes it doesn't mean yours will unless we are using the same outer sleeves. In my 35 XL version the records fit in fine with or without outer sleeves. Even if they touched or bent in a little bit, it wouldn't really matter as long as it's just a bit. But if you had very wide sleeves I can see it being an issue.

Why don't you measure out the dimensions of one of your records inside the usual outer sleeve you use and then compare it to the dimensions? That should tell you if they'll fit rather quickly.

Mind you the internal measurements on the website look incorrect for the 19l. The width and the height should be the same to fit a record.

But the height of the box itself doesn't matter too much because the XL size lid is what gives those boxes the extra height for lps. So if the height is 8 3/8" and the lid gives you an extra 4ish" then you'd be alright.

I'll check the dimensions of my 35XL tonight and compare to the website, with and without the lid.

EDIT: not sure if this helps but I found this photo online of a record store that uses these boxes. Not an up close image but you can see they have records in sleeves.

8. stenway

9. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Half of the record stores I've been to stock those. They are decent for cardboard but like I said, I don't prefer cardboard in any case if I can get something else. If you prefer cardboard, knock yourself out. IIRC Bags Unlimited also offers a slightly thicker/stronger cardboard box for LPs in addition to the standard ones.

10. Classicrock

But cardboard does not have protective strength or barrier to moisture. Also the 'really expensive' boxes can be stacked quite high as they support a substantial weight of records. RU are the best designed boxes on the planet apart from DJ flight cases which cost considerably more. They can only get hot if left in direct heat or boiling hot atmosphere which will have same effect on records in cardboard. If you need cool try an air conditioned room.

Gumboo, eddiel and patient_ot like this.
  11. stenway

12. stenway

JohnBlutarski likes this.
  13. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

A box of 95 LPs will be too heavy, to safely lift and carry, though, won't it?...you might be able to pick it up, but you're likely to have an accident..either injury to your back, or dropping the box!

The 19XL box, holding 50, is the biggest size that I would ever want to be lifting and moving....

TonyCzar and stenway like this.
  14. stenway

I agree, I prefer boxes that holds no more that 50 LPs, also records stay vertical not inclined.

the thing is size are different, the only different should be one! but I see two, for that reason I think those boxes are not 100% made for records, are multi use, so sizes are not thinking well for records; maybe on the 19XL records fit even more tight on sides; but well is we have.

Go Shopping - Really Useful Boxes - 19 litre XL Really Useful Box
    Dimensions
    External: 395 x 255 x 330
    Internal: 315 x 205 x 310
    (length x width x depth in mm)

Go Shopping - Really Useful Boxes - 35 litre XL Really Useful Box
    Dimensions
    External: 480 x 390 x 345
    Internal: 370 x 310 x 310
    (length x width x depth in mm)

15. stenway

From the company:

The XXL lid is a very new product and the tooling that produces it is only in the UK, we do not have the machinery to produce this in the US. Sorry at this stage I don't know if the product will eventually be launched in the US or be exclusive to our UK internet shop.

We only ship to inland UK from here but there is a service on our website called 'forward2me' UK Parcel Forwarding | DHL, UPS, DPD & TNT International Delivery they take care of exports. I'm not sure if this would be cost effective, our boxes are not heavy in weight but are bulky to transport which unfortunately volumes out shipping costs.

16. Classicrock

If you had to move 2000+ Lps there are just too many boxes with the smaller size. They are heavy when full but I managed to move around 30 boxes in and out of an estate car (4 loads). Carrying up stairs is the most difficult. Record sellers at fairs appear to manage moving crates this size. In practice with covers they take about 80 LPs each. (100 would be too heavy).

17. stenway

After all well I got some BagsUnlimited cardboard boxes (not plastic like Really Useful Boxes) but hey! they are great, very well made, solid and price is good, the lid fits very tight and that I like that, are easy to fold:

(I can't believe that some people return that boxes because they don't know how fold, lol)
    . The 45rpm boxes works for CDs, DVDs, Games etc that's a plus to me. Overall I'm happy I go to buy more, soon.

12" Record Storage Box, CORRUGATED CARDBOARD
    45 Record Storage Box, Corrugated Cardboard

big suggestion: No matter what boxes you use, cardboard, plastic etc, add a bag of SILICA GEL per box! 20 to 40 gram of silical gel are enough to cover a record box, that helps to prevent humidity.

18. stenway

Update:

I found plastic boxes from Sterilite called "Gasket Boxes" and to my surprise fits for almost all things that I collect.

LPs - Sterilite - 1938: 80 Quart Gasket Box
    7 Singles - Sterilite - 1933: 32 Quart Gasket Box
    CDs, DVDs, BluRay, Video Games - (I can't find it on the web site but the code is 1931, 37QT 35Liter)
    Comics - Sterilite - 1934: 54 Quart Gasket Box

In the past a always avoid plastic boxes because are not enough tall for lps or the sides are too rounded (not squared) and floor not flat, but this ones fits for everything and have some seal to safeguard items from both air and moisture (well they say that...) the boxes close very tight, maybe are not too sturdy like the really useful boxes but I'm happy.

I show pictures later with stuff inside the boxes, for now I'm cleaning dirty from the boxes, the boxes are dirty and smell a little to plastic but is possible clean with a towel.

eddiel likes this.
  19. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Milk crates

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Those look pretty good. I can't find the right size Really Useful brand up here in Canada but these are readily available. I wish the LP 8 quart one wasn't as wide though. At 18" wide it leaves a lot of room for records to move around but not a deal breaker though.

21. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Re: the "Really Useful" brand...

I've found a use for every one I've ever bought - even non-musical uses - but learn to order carefully. I was surprised one day by a big square blue one I brought home from shopping, and it turned out to have a front side which was hinged and completely flipped down. Surprise! (And I was even walking around the store with it - I can't blame this one on online ordering.)

Also, they're not only not watertight, they have holes and gaps. Above obvious example is obvious, but the two I use for CDs have holes for holding down/up the handles. And, of course, no protection against sunlight. So, I have to keep them in dark places. They are what they are.

22. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

[​IMG]

Wine bottle gift boxes are perfect for storing MInidiscs

eddiel and BigGame like this.
  23. stenway

Some progress, pics of the LP and CD boxes: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

As you see in the pic of LPs I left a big space between the records, of that way you can flip in easy without damage the bottom of each record, I try fill the box with records and was not a good idea because records stay to tight and when you pull out one is hard put it in again. So the box holds of this way around 65 records, is good to me.

For CDs holds around 100 CDs.

As you see I add a 100gram to 200gram bag of Silica Gel per box, to avoid mold and foxing on paper (sadly I learn by the hard way, due the humidity some of my records now have foxing (brown spots on paper). I brought a dehumidifier too. I hope not see any mold, mild, foxing in my life again.

I show you more later for singles etc.

24. stenway

I respect the taste of everyone but IMO:

Records stay exposed on milk crates so I pass, like I say I learn in the hard way, even my records are in sleeves and simple cardboard boxes gets foxing mold, I don't want that anymore. So from now I avoid crates, racks, shelfs etc. Closed plastic boxes, plus silica gel and a dehumidifier in the music room is my way to go.

Same thing, wood smell so strong, I have some cds in wood boxes and now the cds smell to wood. I pass on any wood box/crate. Some wood can add acids to paper and damage artworks.

===

Overall as a comic collector I know how care paper, saying that records, cds artworks are the same thing, they are made of fine papers and some fragile paper, is the same thing, so from now I'll give the same for records that I do for comics.

patient_ot likes this.
  25. stenway

One more thing... 7 inch singles! see this picture: http://i.imgur.com/XgSNNdL.jpg

ouch! seriously now I know why many 7 inches singles artworks have bends on the top! is so! hard pull out a single from the box, the problem is paper is so thing and is almost impossible pull out one without bend the top, I even can't identify which singles I have due paper is so thin.

so! what's the solution? like comics I think is adding backing boards inside each outer sleeve should work to make a solid package. I show you later with pics but this can give you an idea: http://howtolovecomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/DSC02387-001-e1468310795121.jpg (the white board on the back is used to makes solid and prevent bends on comic, also that boards are acid free), anyway I show later my idea.