"Really Useful Boxes" for storage records and cds

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by stenway, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If I had to go through that much trouble to keep my collection in good condition, I would've sold the lot a long time ago and gone to digital!

If you're seeing that much issue on your lps then storing as you do makes sense I suppose, but it's more a reaction to your environment than anything else IMO. I don't have those issues so luckily I don't have to go to the same trouble.

One idea that you posted, is using card backing for 45s. I do that for mine (need to buy more actually). I also do that for older UK lps with the older thinner sleeves. They bend and crease so easily so the extra backing helps quite a bit.

stenway likes this.
  3. stenway

stenway Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes I got your point, but digital is boring hehe, I like physical stuff. One thing is true for me, this is the last effort that I invest time and money trying keep my collecting in good/safe condition.

Yes some 12 olders are to thin, but hey! where do you buy backings for 7inch and 12 inch?

For 7inches I thought use fullbacks from EGerber, believe that are great quality backings... acid free etc, made for comics, the problem is the size, 10inch tall, so is necessary cut... but its easy with a paper trimmer, 50 FULL-BACK SILVER & GOLDEN AGE 42-Mil Comic Backing Boards by E. Gerber 750FB | eBay

eddiel likes this.
  4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

For anyone in the UK Ryman's have two for £22 on the 35 litre XLs, but if you sign up for their newsletter you get sent a 20% off code and it's free delivery over £40 so that works out at £8.80 each which I think is a pretty good price for them, for those not needing the XL lid there's an even better deal on the standard 35 litre ones.

Robert C and patient_ot like this.
  5. stenway

6. stenway

Anyone knows how clean plastic boxes? the Sterilites are great, perfect size for all formats and keep the humidity out but damn are so dirty (well I buy it on wallmart and are dirty) I clean it with soap and water and yes after clean is better but still have some oily feeling, this is an example of one before! cleaning, as you see I even can write! with my finger.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  7. stenway

8. stenway

anyone have any issue with plastic boxes to storage records, one month ago I start to use STERILITE plastic boxes, some person in amazon says:

"I have a large record collection and years ago some gave warped. When I researched I didn't read anywhere to store them in plastic sealed containers. I store them on shelves standing upright and a little space between each. They are not sandwich together. They are all still in very good condition."

Amazon.com: Questions And Answers: Anyone use this boxes to storage vinyl records or other valuable photos etc? this plastic boxes are save for collectables?

Maybe he used in a extreme hot conditions? I do a test, a put a temperature meter inside a plastic box and later outside and is the same temperature, so why the plastic box can warp the record? mmm.

9. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Not "Really Useful Boxes"

I bought one of the 35 liter boxes for LP storage and have a couple of issues with it:

1. The bottom end of the box is too narrow for some LP covers I own
    2. The bottom corners inside the box are rounded, not squared off, meaning they can place undue stress on the bottom corners of LP covers, potentially crumpling them if you're not vigilant.

Not impressed with this product.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  10. stenway

yes, I notice that with the really useful boxes. Is really hard find a squared box! so:

I got this ones: Amazon.com: 80QT CLR Gasket Box: Home & Kitchen with a bagsunlimited cardboard box inside 12" Record Storage Box, CORRUGATED CARDBOARD (yeap! a box inside a box, the cardboard inside the plastic, and 300gram silica gel inside) not an overkill!

Of that way I can control the humidity, Everything inside is around 45% to 55% and constant! due the boxes are with a seal can keep constant the humidity inside, constancy is critical to keep paper or any collectables (records) in optimum condition to avoid mold, mildew and other problems. I do a lot tests, with just a cardboard box even you add silica gel the humidity moves from low to up... but with the plastic box is constant.

Due the bagsunlimited cardboard is squared, of course all the records stay totally vertical.

I show my approach to a friend that is an 30 year expert archivist of historic documents and they approve it hehe, I can show later some pics.

Aftermath likes this.
  11. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Intesting solution. Can you fit a couple of the corrugated boxes inside the 80QT Gasket Box?

12. stenway

Just one (so yes there's some space around the corrugated, but I fill it with some big boxed, it would be nice if the corrugated cover more space but hey! nothing is perfect).
    I use the same approach with singles, and yes on that there's more space but I fill it with some other collectables like vhs, games.

Let me take some pics and I show you!

ps: all this approach surge as my idea later I had some humidity problems in my records, yes so get damn foxing (brown spots on paper) due the humidity is so high in my room, but I think the worst idea was that I have cardboard boxes with those records in the floor, I learn by the hard way, so now I control the humidity and also boxes are not anymore in the floor, but I bet due now are plastic I even can store in the floor.

13. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Hey thanks for the offer to post pics, but I need a more compact solution for storage because of space limitations.

14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have stored records in these for some years without any issues with warping or crumpled sleeves. There are some oversized sleeves that will not fit granted. Still the best storage available in the UK other than expensive flight cases. If you are worried about slightly curved ends I use cardboard record packing stiffeners at each end of the box.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    patient_ot and eddiel like this.
  15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Agreed. I never had an issue with oversized covers except in the case of boxsets.

Every time this thread pops up again I get depressed because I can't buy these in Canada. I was a big fan of them when I lived in the UK. You can buy them here but without the XL lid, and without that lid, you can't close the box.

patient_ot likes this.
  16. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

My primary concern is where bottom and long side panels meet rather than either end of the container. If they've worked well for you, that's great to hear. Given what I've seen and noted thus far though, I'm not impressed with these and will explore other options.

stenway likes this.
  17. Classicrock

The bottom join with the sides is slightly curved on the outside only. Inside is virtually a right angle. Only curves inside are a small radius between ends and sides.

18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

They sell the XL lids and even XXL ones direct on their site, unfortunately they cost nearly as much as buying the whole thing with discounts and that's without shipping them to Canada.

19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah I used to buy from them at the Victoria record show in London. That's actually how I found out about them. They always had a section with their boxes set up, so it was pretty easy to get them. They sell direct in the US though they won't ship to Canada. I even emailed them about improving their offerings up in Canada and I also emailed one of the big suppliers here who do sell them but to no avail. No one even got back to me. Not surprising I suppose.

I'm surprised they don't do more record shows though. I always saw people buying right then and there, usually putting their just bought records in them. lol

20. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Curved joins at the bottom as well.

21. Classicrock

I've just looked at an empty one and any curve on the inside is negligible and doesn't impact on the bottom corner of a normal sized 12" Lp cover. In fact there is room for a plastic outer sleeve and in my experience if these get slightly crushed the cover inside is unaffected. If it did what you claim do you think I would store audiophile discs in them worth £100+ ?

22. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

The join is rounded and not a sharp crease. I've just tested it and it can impact LP covers, especially those that are nearly paper thin, as many are these days.

23. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I agree with Classicrock, but it does raise the question of whether UK and US boxes are 100% identical.

24. Classicrock

I think they are all UK made. If they are making some in US now, they will use same patterns. The rounding does not appear sufficient to impact sleeve corners and hasn't in my experience.

eddiel and patient_ot like this.
  25. stenway

anyone has the 19 litre XL Really Useful Box??? for vinyl?

I prefer the small boxes to storage just around 40 to 50, more than that is too much records for a box, to carry around is heavy and records tends to bend down and damage corners, I prefer records stay vertical.

please can anyone has some pics of the 19 litre XL Really Useful Box with some records inside?

the distribution in USA of this things sucks, is hard to get in amazon or other stores and his own stores shipping price is high.