Really want a US Stereo Magical Mystery Tour pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by motionoftheocean, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member Thread Starter

oh sure, what the hell, another Beatles thread!

I once paid an absurd amount for a mint Horzu and while I really love the sound of it, I've realized in recent months that because my real love affair with MMT started with an original '67 rainbow label pressing that I listened to in my teens. And while I freely admit the mock stereo tracks are pretty horrid, there's a certain sound to the true (or mostly true stereo) tracks on there, specifically I Am the Walrus, Hello Goodbye and Strawberry Fields Forever that simply doesn't exist on the 2012 stereo vinyl. I guess it's in part nostalgia, in part the digital transfer used for the 2012 edition, and in part not wanting to play that Horzu for which I overpaid, but I think I'd like to dig up an original rainbow label pressing of MMT and just enjoy the crap out of it. I've noticed they go fairly cheaply so why the heck not.

does anyone have any suggestions in terms of matrix numbers and whatnot of what to look for? also, if you feel a later pressing that uses the same source as the '67 US stereo but you feel might be a superior pressing, by all means, please share your observations. there were so many iterations of the Capitol US release that it does get a bit daunting.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  2. motionoftheocean

and by this I mean help in locating optimal pressings, not actually trying to buy a copy here :)

3. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

The later Lime Green (I've read that these are excellent! I had one in the 70's and threw it away when it got worn out!) and Purple Capitol's have a very good reputation for sound. I have a US Apple and Purple Capitol that sound good to my ears. Looking for a specific low number pressing of any label variation could drive you crazy. Not all are cheap but you do have options.

General info:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/beatles-capitol-purple-label-lp-mastering-question.311921/
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/capitol-beatles-usa-rainbow-green-orange-purple.35825/
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/searc...+labels&o=relevance&c[title_only]=1&c[node]=2

Peter Pyle and bluemooze like this.
  4. motionoftheocean

thanks for the response. out of curiosity, is your suggestions to look for the lime green and purples because of a quality issue with original rainbow pressings or price point? with regard to the latter, I've noticed that the lime greens and purples actually go for more money now than do the rainbows (unless you find an absolutely immaculate copy, naturally). to be honest, I never found the capitol purple label pressings to be particularly stellar. I've seen tons of praise heaped on them from here, but my experience with a purple label pressing of Abbey Road had me running for an original Apple.

5. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

Beatles records are notoriously overpriced so there's no telling which label you'll stumble onto that is luckily reasonably priced. Just know that if you do find one in great shape reasonably priced - you're probably safe with either a Rainbow or Green or Apple or Purple label. If you insist on a Rainbow - enjoy the hunt!

Also, just fyi: I've never heard that the Rainbow stereo was especially great sounding - the mono Rainbow, however, gets very high praise here at the forum.

Aftermath likes this.
  6. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Speaking of "Strawberry Fields Forever," you're probably already aware that the US Capitol featured the original 1966 mix of that song. The 1971 German stereo album uses a remix. That's one reason why people like to have the US Capitol stereo vinyl, it's a source for the original SFF mix.

Regarding which pressing is the best, people I trust say that for the rainbow label MMT LPs, the West Coast pressings are a little more immediate sounding. They can be identified by a star type symbol in the deadwax.

I have not personally made comparisons between pressings of the US Stereo MMT. I just ended up with a Los Angeles pressing cause that's what was recommended. It would be interesting to learn if any experts here could give some more extensive advice...

Capitol Records L.A. pressing plant info:
    http://www.discogs.com/label/313266-Capitol-Records-Pressing-Plant-Los-Angeles

Dino and hi_watt like this.
  7. motionoftheocean

I was aware of that, yes, but thanks for restating it since I'm sure there are some who don't know. That "Strawberry Fields Forever" is quite possibly my favorite Beatles song is a huge part of the impetus for wanting that original US pressing. I didn't know about the little star denoting West Coast plan pressings, though. That's new to me. By the way, your sentence reads as, "They can be identified by a or star type symbol in the deadwax." Was there another symbol used?

8. TLMusic

Did you check out the Discogs link?

It says:

The identifiable runout marking is a star [for Hollywood]
    This stamp evolved over time from a five pointed ."☆" into a six pointed star "✲". A confirmation from 1947 shows the star appearing more like a "Star" ."☆"(See Jerry Colonna - Here Comes... Coronna's Trolly) & (circa 1964 it is six-sided and appears more like a six-pointed ✲ circa 1964- See Hollyridge Strings, The - The Beach Boys Songbook: Romantic Instrumentals By The Hollyridge Strings
    Please note the star can be pressed very lightly and can be easy to miss.

Edit: and I fixed the typo in my previous post.

9. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

I just looked through the Cox/Daniels Beatles Price Guide and there is also an Orange label that came after the Apples. Some of the later 70's Purples may not have the 24 page booklet (mine does but it is not attached - never was, it's just loose). There is an early 80's Rainbow re-issue. And the later 80's Purple C1 has all the b-sides in true stereo.

10. motionoftheocean

you sure about this?

11. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Get an 80s rainbow pressing. If you like the original, you definitely won't be disappointed.

Peter Pyle and bluemooze like this.
  12. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Yes. it uses the CD master.

13. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

No. But it's what the book says.

Stands to reason that it would be the same as the CD's issued at that same time (the CD was true stereo).

14. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

1978 EMI UK pressing uses the same US versions (from a US tape I would guess) but was mastered by Harry T Moss, and sounds very good. It is pressed on yellow vinyl with a black EMI label.

15. motionoftheocean

ah ok, that's interesting. honestly, the true stereo isn't a huge draw for me as I've never really loved the stereo mixes of BYARM, PL and AYNIL anyway.

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

C'mon, really with this? Give the guy some good advice, troops. Geez.

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
  17. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

A purple or orange label with "Wly" or "Wally" in the deadwax

or

an 80's Rainbow pressing.

That's what you want.

Avoid C1-48062. That's digital, same as the CD. Also, avoid orange label pressing that don't have "Wly" in the deadwax. Purple ones not pressed by Wally are okay, but the Wallys are better.

bluemooze likes this.
  18. motionoftheocean

same question as asked earlier: why not the original rainbow pressing?

19. TLMusic

Some people prefer the sound of the 80s Capitol reissue. You could check out a couple clips on this page and decide for yourself.

http://beatledrops.com/magical_mystery_tour.html

20. motionoftheocean

no doubt the '83 rainbow sounds excellent from those clips, but it's worth noting that he's got a pretty noisy copy of the '67 US.

a shame there's no purple pressing on there btw.

21. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

From what I understand, it just doesn't sound as good. For some reason, the 83 colorband and the Wally pressings just sound better. I don't really know why.

Now, from what SH has stated, the MONO original rainbow pressing is the gold standard.

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I have a purple label version I purchased in the early 80's (no "Wly" in the deadwax, and no booklet) and a rainbow original I purchased used a few years ago. The purple sounds better to me than the rainbow which is a bit harsh.

23. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic, what do people generally think of the latest vinyl version of MMT in mono?

24. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Doesn't the US 1967/1970 feature the same mix?

25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.