Really weird, strange, abnormal, or extremely unusual LPs/Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by maxwell2323, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galactus2

Galactus2 Forum Resident

Or pretty much anything by the Residents.

Such as this gem:

[​IMG]

2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Caroliner ticks all the boxes in your thread title!

[​IMG]

3. REMASTERANTER

REMASTERANTER Ahhhhhh...

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Woody Allen used to make a joke about listening to Marcel Marceau records. It's on his famous stand-up comedy album, in fact.

5. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ha! brilliant!

6. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

7. StarDoG

StarDoG Forum Resident

Melanie; Garden in the City album. It came with a "scratch and sniff" sleeve which says 'Rub gently to release the magic of Melanie's Garden'.

8. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Christian Marclay had a few good ones.

'Record Without A Cover' is exactly what it says. The damage to the record makes each individual copy unique. And the more damaged it gets, the more unique (yes, I'm being sarcastic) your copy is.

'Footsteps' glued the records to the floor of an art gallery for about a month so that people had to walk on them. I've never had a cartridge I cared about so little that I dared play my copy. And, unlike RWAC, you have to keep it carefully stored, lest the dirt and grime be dislodged from the grooves.

I've also got a flexidisc by him that was (intentionally) glued into the spine of the book right into the groove area, so it's physically impossible to play.

He also made a Record Without A Groove, but I don't own a copy of that.

9. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

A couple more unusual, rather weird and cool records in my collection:

Regional Music, Pregnant:
    [​IMG]

SQÜRL, EP #1 (also comes in blue and olive cover). Jim Jarmusch is involved so you know it has to be wonderfully weird!
    [​IMG]

ganma likes this.
  10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Elsa Popping and Her Pixieland Band:

McLover likes this.
  11. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

One of the strangest albums I've ever heard.

12. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

I love this record!

Hot Ptah likes this.
  13. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

You beat me to it!... I always like the way they kind of dared you to play it... so of course I did... :)

Curious Breeze, Rne and Sneaky Pete like this.
  14. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

15. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Absolutely, yes. Weirdest group ever.

Scope J likes this.
  16. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

I had a 12” single of Creatures of the Night by KISS. On one side was no music but it was etched with autographs of band members (very cool). The other side had two tracks, with two grooves going simultaneously down the whole side! So depending on where you dropped the needle at the beginning, you heard either track one or track two. Cooler and kind of strange too.

squittolo likes this.
  17. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I have some weirdo LPs in my collection, but honestly I gotta put in a vote for Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music.

I like avant-garde music, and I am most certainly no stranger to experimental music. But 4 sides of feedback from a rock musician with a locked groove that makes it go on forever? After all these years I still don't know what the heck was going through Reed's mind.

18. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

willy and CliffL like this.
  19. Reed Black

Reed Black Forum Resident

"Tell It Again" Songs of Sense and Nonsense by Julie Andrews and Martin Green. On the Angel label from the late '50's, What makes this unusual is that the music was composed and played by Moondog.

20. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

And they included it on the CD version.

21. timind

timind phorum rezident

My ex-wife actually had that Beatles vs Four Seasons album.

maxwell2323 likes this.
  22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Good to see that get a mention. I play it once a month or so. At times it really hits the spot.

[​IMG]

Shut Up, Little Man! is a collection of recordings made in the late 80s by Eddie Lee and Mitchell - two guys living in a cheap apartment in SF. Their next-door neighbours were Peter and Raymond - a pair of violent psychotics, who spent their time either passed out in drunken stupor, or verbally (and sometimes physically) abusing each other. After receiving a death threat from Raymond, Eddie Lee and Mitchell decided they have to record their neighbours' conversations - just in case. Gradually, they became fascinated with Peter and Raymond's drunken rants; the tapes were passed around among their friends as an audio joke. The recordings grew in popularity and were commercially released on CD in 1992; after that, they became a true underground in-joke, with a comic book, a theater production, and a short movie based on them; the lines like "Shut your ****in' mouth!" or "I want to kill!" were extensively sampled on many musical recordings.

23. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this...never heard of it until now and it's awesome!

Platterpus likes this.
  24. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

25. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Wow, no mention of the Captain?
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.