Reasonable cartridge choices

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ronflugelguy, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek Thread Starter

I just replaced my Benz Silver MC with a Clearaudio Aureum Beta small improvement, just wondering about anyone else's choices under $1K. I almost sprung for a Clearaudio Virtuoso.:cool:

2. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Dynavector 10x4 Mk II, high-output moving coil. Street price is $350, can be had for less.

This cart is a really silly value, and a renowned giant killer. I have a buddy I visit often who has a Benz Glider (twice as expensive), and I don't think it sounds better than the Dyna ...

I liked it so much I got one for my 2nd turntable as well. It's killer.
    POUNDING but well-defined bass, silky smooth highs and mids, EXCELLENT tracking ability (sibilance is gone except on damaged records) ...

3. Ronflugelguy

Jeff, How's the lifespan on the dynavector, I had my Benz for over four years and finally the suspension dried up and it started sounding hard. I was told that for a MC its usually a 2 yr lifespan.Thanks, Ron

4. JPartyka

I honestly don't know yet ... I've just had my Dyna's for about five months. The estimations I've heard are about 2000 hours.

One thing I will say ... They have an especially long break-in period -- upwards of 75-100 hours. They sounded good right out of the box, but when they bloomed ... WOW.

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Anything Stanton makes is excellent quality. On my Gemini turntable, I use a Stanton myself.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Another vote for possibly one of the better values per-buck, the Dynavector 10x4 Mk II. Just be gentle with it, as the cantavaleer sticks out like a tounge. The other cart I thought was great was the Rega Elys or at the very least, the Bias. All can be had inexpensively for high-end or mid-range tables.

7. Ronflugelguy

what I don't understand is that everyone is always talking about long protrudind cantilivers being more prone to damage. I'm very careful around my stylii . You can destrory one that doesn't protrude as easily as one that doesn't. Fortunately, I haven't done that since 1973.

8. JPartyka

I do wish the Dynavector came with a stylus guard. Heck, the Benz Micro MC20E-II that it replaced on my Rega (which costs less than half as much) even had one ...

9. Ronflugelguy

I'm really liking this Clearaudio Bete the more I listen to it. Listener Mag had a review where it was put against the Dynavector and the Dynavector just slightly edged out the Clearaudio.

10. Sckott

11. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

So what do you think of this cartridge, Jeff? I'm thinking of buying one. Not that I need it, but...

12. JPartyka

With the Benz MC20E-II, you'll hear a richness in the midrange and a fast, dynamic character that's hard to beat in that price range (around $150). The top end is sweet, if just a hair grainy.

What you won't get is a lot of bass, or excellent tracking of sibilants on some (not all) records. I really didn't know what I was missing with the bass (when I upgraded to the Dynavector my jaw dropped), but the sibilance issue was ... well, an issue for me.

13. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Thanks Jeff! I did come across a review in Stereophile that indicated that the bass was it's strong suit, but I suppose that's all 'table and tonearm dependent. I currently use a Grado Platinum, Grado MCX, Blue Point, Shure V15MR and an Ortofon OM40.

14. JPartyka

Well, the quality of the bass that came through was pretty good (I remember really marveling at the bass on the original UK vinyl of Dark Side of the Moon the first time I heard it, which was with the Benz), but there just wasn't a lot of it ... it wasn't very extended compared to the Dynavector.

Still, as an entry into the world of high-output MC carts, the Benz is a good little bugger.

15. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

That American made Shure V15M unit is excellent and provides very flat response, and tracks with the best out there. Shure has replaced my broken tips at nominal cost just by sending them back the broken unit. But if cost is no object there may be other toys out there I would consider but I have no experience with them.

16. JPartyka

This is correct; it's the one my father has used on his Denon turntable for many years. It's a great MM cartridge with an exceptionally warm character, and it is indeed renowned for its tracking ability.

17. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I think the Lyra Lydian B is a truly remarkable cartridge which easily competes with cartridges in the $2500 - $3500 league. It offers outstanding detail and imaging. I unfortunately sold it when I upgraded to the Helicon, which never has pushed my button as well as the Lydia did. Another cartridge that offers oodles of detail although it sometimes can be edgy is the Audio Technica OC-9

18. Sumiko

My Sumiko Blue Point is very nice (and cheap at less than $250), but it can be a bit bright on some phono preamps or turntables. My two pressings of "Roy Orbison's 20 Greatest" on Monument (1972) and silver label CBS/Monument (1982) sound night and day different on this thing so it must be doing something right.

i have noticed that it is a good tracker overall but you have to change tracking force from one lp to the next to get clean bass / full depth of field.

19. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Re: Sumiko

Why would you have to do that?

20. Sckott

Hmmm, me thinks it could be a sign that the stylus might be worn prematurely? Eeeek! better check that. You shoulnd't have to feel that the cartridge requires more tracking force than what it's rated for.

That's classically a sign of a worn tip. :(

21. Ronflugelguy

My Blue Point didn't last long. and the bugger sounded like CD players sounded in the early 90's. My Grado was much more mellow, and the Blue Point I did not like with my NAD 1020 phono at that time. Just sounded pretty hard and bright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.