Reasonable lifespan of a loudspeaker?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ntotrar, May 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident Thread Starter

My Cornwall II are approximately 34 years old. The caps have been replaced (Erse). The drivers are in good condition, the cabs are solid, veneer good and I think they sound excellent. How long will they last?

[​IMG]

Could the answer be as long as replacement parts can be had? So far its just been caps...

The FRiNgE and shug4476 like this.
  2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

My Klipschorns have been going since the eighties. The only thing done was the replacement of all internal speaker wire. I might consider new crossovers in the future but have no intention of changing them and I’m building a whole new system around them.

3. blakep

blakep Senior Member

My Elipson 1313's are about the same age. Bought them in '85 or '86 I think. Still sound great and have never had the caps done on them. Had the woofers (which are internally mounted and upward firing-they are a 3 way system with very low frequencies exiting the front port) rebuilt about 10 years ago, if I remember correctly, and the tech told me I would never have to rebuilt them again. He gave them a clean bill of health, said that the spiders, etc. all looked perfect.

Changed the relatively cheap binding posts out on them as well many years ago with Eichmann cable pods and have some Herbie's footers between the bases and the custom granite bases I had cut for them. Also did some custom marble tops on them as well. The veneer is still in very nice condition.

They sound fabulous and I still (perhaps I'm biased) like the look of them and feel they've aged rather well. I think I'd have to go to something in the $2K Canadian used range to significantly better them. So they stay.

[​IMG]

The FRiNgE, arcamsono, gd0 and 8 others like this.
  4. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I have mid-to late 80's Celestions that haven't been touched. They still sound fabulous to me today. I have early 90's NHT SuperZeroes and same thing.

5. Ntotrar

New Cornwall IV would cost me more than $5K US...

6. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

My HeathKit AS101 speakers (Altec Valencia clones in nice cabinets) were made around 1971. Crossover upgrades is all they needed. They use Altec drivers, if not abused I think they may last dam near forever. The horn diaphragms will someday fatigue an crack, I replaced them when I got them about 5 years ago because they were do.
    The 15" cast frame woofers? With dope treated cloth surrounds that are still good 50 years later I'm not sure if they have an expiration date.
    Original Altec drivers and the predecessor, Western Electric drivers go for huge money if in great shape. Not for display purposes but to be put to use. Were talking stuff from the 30's, 40's and 50's here. Quality component never seem to give up.

BillWojo

7. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

60 yrs + "if not abused".

clhboa, MC Rag, shug4476 and 2 others like this.
  8. Ntotrar

So my "Corns" are middle aged like me!

SandAndGlass, Tim 2 and shug4476 like this.
  9. Razakoz

Razakoz Forum Resident

The crossover parts should last a long time as long as there's no electrolytic caps, the driver's themselves should be good for decades as long as people aren't running them too hard. I'd say 30-60 years depending on the speaker and how it's used.

shug4476 and Ntotrar like this.
  10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

A good speaker should last 50 years or longer.

shug4476 and Ntotrar like this.
  11. Helom

Helom Forum member

Compression drivers like those in your Cornwalls will likely outlast you if the speakers are not abused.

12. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

My Dahlquist DQ10s are from early 80s. Original owner had woofers refoamed in 2000.
    I got them in ‘05 had it done again in 2019 along w/ crossover recap. They sing again.

Dennis0675 and Swann36 like this.
  13. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

All youngsters so far:)........earlier this week I saw a khorn from the late 1940's that Audio Classics has that is still operational.

wrat likes this.
  14. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

Never ever have I heard of people who had to service their loudspeakers, apart from foam that had to be replaced for example. A quality speaker that hasn't been abused can last a long, very long time.

15. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I've had my speakers, Ruarks, since 1998, I think. I haven't noticed any deterioration.

16. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

My AR-9's are between 39 and 43 years old. I just had them recapped and replaced the tweeters. As long as I don't go crazy can drive then into heavy clipping I imagine they could conceivably, at my age, outlast me.

shug4476 likes this.
  17. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

The" corns" on my feet are middle aged.

showtaper likes this.
  18. wrat

wrat Forum Resident

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've seen cases where the surround material around the driver deteriorates over time and needs to be replaced. There are companies that can replace this and make the drivers as good as new. This is great news if you have classic speakers where the individual woofer/mid/tweeters are no longer available.

Juan Matus and Ntotrar like this.
  20. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

I have Mission bookshelf and floorstanders that are 30+ yrs old - not used much these days. The Rega RS5'S are 10 yrs old. All still sound OK. Odd tweeter or driver replaced on Missions after lively party activity. Am home demoing a pair of Tannoy Eatons next week - they will have to last the rest of my days!

Ntotrar likes this.
  21. Ted Torres Jr

Ted Torres Jr Synergistic Maximus

1985 ADS 1290 Series II...Still Singing today as when new!

Ntotrar likes this.
  22. Helom

Helom Forum member

Speaker failures usually come in the form of rotted surrounds, dried-up ferrofluid in tweeters and burnt voicecoils. Sometimes a driver suspension will begin to sag and allow the voicecoil to rub the pole or top-plate.

Caps in the crossovers can last one’s lifetime contrary to popular myth.

23. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

The oldest pair of speakers I've ever owned was a pair of pre lawsuit James Lansing d130's. The lawsuit I believe was 1947 so these predated that. They still worked fine without any issues.

VinylSoul, Ntotrar and Slimwhit33 like this.
  24. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I'm listening to my college speakers from '95 and they're perfectly fine - NHT SuperOne.

Ntotrar likes this.
  25. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

My University 312s from 1963 are still working fine, untouched.

My EPi 100Ws from the '60s are terrific, although I've replaced the woofers and the crossover caps...which leaves the tweeters as original.

Which leaves my office pair, DLK Modular Ones. Mid '70s, I think? Just dandy.

Ntotrar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.