Reasonably priced stand-alone 5.1 decoder?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by VU Master, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member Thread Starter

Does anyone make some kind of small, external Dolby Digital decoder? Something with a PCM coax and/or optical input, and 6 analog outputs? Hopefully under $1000, under $500 would be better. Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

David,
    I don't know of any stand-alone processors at less than very high proces.

What you might like to look at is buying an AV receiver with pre-outs for six channels. That will get you what you want.

3. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

Hi David,

A bit late on the reply.
    I am using a Marantz stand alone DD decoder in my HT setup.
    Model DP870. It had great reviews when it came out.
    6 analog in and 6 out
    ac3/pcm and optical in manual printed 6/96.
    Should be able to get one for for ~$100 (?)

4. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

Affordable DTS Stand Alone Decoder

Millenium 2 4 6

About $350 bucks or so. So many inputs, so many outputs...

P.S. - My favorite feature: trim pots on each channel.

5. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

Sony SDP-E800. Excellent sound, lots of inputs and is very well built. Should run you about $200 used. A real bargain in a stand-alone decoder.

6. sgraham

sgraham New Member

THe SDP-E800 does not do dts decoding, if that matters to you.

As far as I can tell, none of the available stand-alone surround processors do Dolby ProLogic-II. They seem to be a vanishing and obsolescent breed, unfortunately.

7. GabeG

GabeG New Member

8. michael w

michael w New Member

Dave,

The two that immediately come to mind are the Marantz DP-870 and Sony SDP-EP9ES.

Both do Dolby Digital and have an analog pass through.
    Both also had RF inputs for Dolby Digital off laserdisc.

The Marantz does not do Dolby Pro Logic and does not come with a remote, although it does have a remote sensor and remote codes were available off Marantz remotes like the RC-2000.

The better built and better sounding Sony does do Pro Logic through the digital inputs and came with a remote.

They were also popular (especially the Marantz) with aftermarket DTS modifiers like MSB so there's a fair chance of finding one with DTS on Ebay or Audiogon etc. for well under $500.

They represent great value, especially an MSB DTS modded unit, the MSB mod was $600+ by itself !

The Technics in the Ebay link was a versatile unit at $300 new, but sounded like crap compared to either Marantz or Sony.

cheerio

9. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

This one is better than nothing, but in DTS mode it takes about a half second to detect the stream. I assume it searches first for Dolby Digital, and then moves on to DTS. Every DTS disc you play will miss its first half or full second.

10. sgraham

sgraham New Member

This seems to be a common problem with dts for some reason. My Sony SACD player does it to some extent - I don't miss the opening notes of the album, but if I go to a track it's often clipped and I have to back up manually to hear the start. Same thing with the DTS decoder on my JVC receiver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.