Reassessing 'Friends'

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by FieldingMellish, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RightOff

RightOff Well-Known Member

Please explain how it applies to Seinfeld. I just explained how Jerry lived in a tiny apartment. Kramer's was tiny as well. Elaine had a roomate for a few years, and only moved into a larger one by herself when she started making a lot of money.

I also actually live in Manhattan - have for 12 years - and know what I'm talking about. The fact is that Seinfeld was accurate and Friends was woefully inaccurate.

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

I think all the folks fixating on apartment size might be missing the bigger picture.

3. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I've only seen a half dozen episodes of Friends and couldn't get the fuss at all. I didn't find it at all funny. I'll take Coupling over Friends any day.

Deesky likes this.
  4. P(orF)

P(orF) Forum Resident

Great fun to read all the passionate opinions (here and in the Arrested Development thread) about the Top 40 of the visual arts world. It's like arguing over whether ABBA was better than Three Dog Night - even if you win you're admitting you spend way too much time listening to ABBA or Three Dog Night.

(ABBA was way better)

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Never watched it when it ran, but I liked it for awhile when it was rerun. Don't care for it now though.

6. FieldingMellish

FieldingMellish Active Member Thread Starter

I thought I did explain that. What I maybe didn't fully make clear was that Seinfeld and Friends are sitcoms, not documentaries.

Well, but, you also said that the Seinfeld character was well off financially. So why such a tiny apartment? Would a rich guy be living across the hall from Kramer, who appears to have no job and so presumably subsists on benefits (plus freeloading)? Look, you're reading far, far too much into this. Neither show was realistic, nor were they intended to be. You don't look for logic in these things.

Wow! So you must be, like, some sort of real estate guru, I guess? Tsk. Do you think only Manhattanites are aware that space is at a premium, or that accommodation is expensive in New York?

7. RightOff

RightOff Well-Known Member

8. FieldingMellish

Well, again, you aren't addressing my points. And in any case, the whole 'big apartment' line is a dead end.

Let's agree to differ.

9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

"Friends" premiered 20-years ago this week. Holy smokes.

This article in Slate appreciates "Friends" for what it was: The show ended just a decade ago, and when it did it was a kind of shorthand for that which is popular, likeable, and unchallenging: pure TV pop.
    Yup. Couldn't agree more. It never pretended to be anything else than fun, lighthearted escapism. I love edgy, smart TV. I also appreciate safe, happy TV when it's done well. "Friends" did it very well.
    http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/...niversary_the_nbc_sitcom_was_truly_great.html

dan c

10. FieldingMellish

Yeah. If 'Friends' was a band, it would maybe be Queen: never cool, occasionally naff, but globally popular and of unusually high quality.

LivingForever likes this.
  11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'll buy that.

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Interestingly, it's ER's 20th anniversary too!

Dan C likes this.
  13. FieldingMellish

It illustrates the disparity between two hit sows. One we sort of vaguely remember (and which gave us Clooney), the other became a pop-cultural phenomenon (love it or hate it).

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I remember that around, I'm guessing, 1998 or '99, for whatever reason, Friends went into daily re-runs on CKVU in Vancouver a year or so before syndication started in the US. (Is that sort of thing typical????) My friend Becky at work loved the show, and was jealous that I was able to pick up CKVU via antenna where I lived, while 1.) she could not; and 2.) her cable system didn't offer CKVU. :)

15. Phil4

Phil4 Active Member

As someone who has listened to hundreds of episodes, I cannot stand it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.