Reassessing GTR

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Say It Right, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I'll admit, it did have more bottom end, but it was compressed to death.... pick your poison! :)

Say It Right likes this.
  2. Hackett says he is up for a Genesis reunion "if they call him." He doubts it will happen due to the "retiree" status of a band member. ;) See video starting at 4:18 and onward:

Say It Right likes this.
  3. brunofaetten

brunofaetten Forum Resident

I revisited this a couple of years ago, and was pleasantly surprised to find it not that bad really, considering. There's some good material there if you can live with the cheesy 80's sound. I've watched the documentary more than I've listened to the album, though. It's a hilarious time capsule from what were essentially "wilderness years" for these guys, and scores bonus points for cajoling Brian "Mephistopheles" Lane (and his Cosby sweater) out from his crypt and in front of a camera. "Two guitarists, both named Steve; both motivated by greed..."

If it wasn't obvious at the time, by now we know that Steve Howe doesn't really want to be in a band with any other guitarist, never mind another Steve. The aforementioned "duets" was actually just one number, "From A Place Where Time Runs Slow", while both men played quite lengthy solo sets. A real missed opportunity. "Squackett" was a far more successful collaboration, imo. The trick there is not to pay too close attention to the lyrics, which are frequently cringe-worthy.

In summary, then, GTR at least provided a Tap-esque interlude in both men's career, one classic album review, one amusing documentary, a couple of servicable lite-rock songs, and (speaking for myself) this beautiful piece of plastic:
    gtrplectrumpromo.jpg

Pretty neat, huh? I hated the song when I first got it, but still put it on my wall.

4. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I still like this album quite a bit in spite of the sonic misadventures. I'll admit the King Biscuit show probably gets more time in the CD player than the studio album.

I really wanted to see this show in 1986 but I forget why I never did. I caught ELPowell in September that year but I can't recall why I never made the GTR show.

Never saw this documentary before. Thanks for posting it.

Rufus McDufus and Say It Right like this.
  5. Phil Spalding

Phil Spalding Member

It's very interesting to view people's varying perceptions and opinions of this project after so many years ... And that also the other guys in the band are not really mentioned very much ... Does anyone REALLY know what happened during the short period this band existed ??? Would anyone LIKE to know ???

6. Phil Spalding

Phil Spalding Member

Love the pick !!! Hahaha ... I have GTR merchandise lying around ...

7. Phil Spalding

Phil Spalding Member

'When The Heart Rules The Mind' came into existance as just a chorus that Steve Hackett had written. It was beaten into some kind of shape and song by the band during many long hours in a rehearsal room in West London in 1985. The only songs that existed for this album as ready and written 'songs' were 'The Hunter', which Geoff already had as a whole song, and 'Toe The Line' which Steve Howe also had as a whole song ... the rest of the 'songs' were cobbled together out of bits and pieces and arranged, by the band as a whole, live in a rehearsal room. There's loads more ... hahaha ...

8. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired Thread Starter

Would enjoy a first hand account, Phil. This would really add a lot to the discussion (far more than was expected than when the thread started!).

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That might not be the case if the album mix hadn't washed out the rhythm section. I saw GTR live and can vouch that you and J. Mover were killer. And it was pretty obvious how great that band could have been....

ytserush and Phil Spalding like this.
  10. Say It Right

Originally, the thread was opened just because Martha Quinn had mentioned the clips of the documentary after playing "When the Heart Rules the Mind" on the 80's SiriusXM station. That's what led me to YouTube. It also influenced the decision to recollect what it was like then and rethink perceptions from that time period.

Admittedly, there's always been a "snob appeal" element to progressive rock fans. Asia had dealt with it, but it was easier to ignore with the commerical success. Fans of Yes and Genesis were probably seeking something different from what those bands were offering at the time, and that focused attention on the two Steves. It certainly take nothing away fromt he contributions of the other members of GTR. It's just that Steve Hackett and Steve Howe were the big names.

Hope to speak with everybody else peaking into this thread, but we'd love to hear personal accounts from Phil. This will separate facts from the myths. That'll put the proper focus in the reassessment.

11. Phil - thanks for posting, welcome to the forum and tell us more!!!

12. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

Yes, indeed--welcome to the forum. I suspect that I'm not alone in being very interested in any and all stories you would care to relate! If I recall correctly, you also played (excellently) on Mike Oldfield's Crises, which has always been a favorite of mine from the era as well.

13. Phil Spalding

Phil Spalding Member

Hi there SIR, Progfan, Billy B, Brett and everybody else that's shown interest !!! It's difficult to know where to start. I'm writing a lot of my experiences up for my own website and, believe me, GTR could merit a book OF IT'S OWN !!! As for the higher level business politics AND economics of this project my knowledge is speculative at best; Jon Mover is the guy with the real knowledge. I was very naive at the time (and very, VERY stoned !!!) and was ripe for the picking. Negatives and band '****' apart I'm grateful to the GTR project for many things ... I mean when I say band '****' I mean stuff ... stuff that's happened and still happens in nearly every band and project I've ever been involved with or come across and, looking back on this band, a lot of the day to day stuff is REALLY funny ... I mean SPINAL TAP PLUS FUNNY !!! Complaining about stuff is the easiest thing to do in life and I've (hopefully!!!) grown up now so I prefer to see the positives. I met Jon M in London last month and we are STILL laughing like drains about some of the things we experienced together in this band ... SO ****ING FUNNY MAN !!! It was like being on another, faraway planet most of the time ... I was kind of on my own planet as well so ... Mmmmmmm ..... If I carry on tonight I'll start telling the whole story, which I'll be telling on my website in the not too distant future.
    One thing ... the original album mix. Geoff D and Alan Douglas said it had to be mixed with all that high mid range and top end for US radio. Believe me guys ... at high volume it was 'unlistenable' in Townhouse 4 control room and I liked it thunderously loud and still do ... I found it agony to listen to even when I was loaded which was all of the time back then. I really couldn't understand that approach at all ... When I look at other radio friendly US hit records I've played on like 'Can You Feel The Love Tonight' and 'Circle Of Life' by Elton John and 'Kiss From A Rose' by Seal OR even 'Wishing Well' by Terence Trent D'Arby there's NO comparison sound wise (and I know they're all very different styles) ... Is it/was it a rock thing ???
    On a personal level, being picked up in my neighborhood by Steve Howe for the first time (December '84) is one of my cherished career memories. I was a Yes freak from '72 and absorbed everything I could from Chris Squire's playing. That ticked a professional box for me as a fan and I'm happy to say that now, years later, I still see Steve when he's playing and I'm around. I saw the latest UK Yes show in 2011 and became 15 years old all over again ... Heart Of The Sunrise still has me in raptures !!!
    I think, all things considered, GTR did pretty well and we were good live ... it could have been massive if everyone had have been sensible enough to steer in the same direction TOGETHER but good common sense didn't appear to exist at the time. I certainly wasn't even remotely sensible anyway ... I was too young, too manic, too stoned ...
    If anyone has any specific questions I'd be glad and honored to answer to the best of my knowledge ... take care and GB y'all ... it's good to be alive ...
    PS xXx

izgoblin, SirMarc, drummer and 7 others like this.
  14. A. Scrounger

A. Scrounger Forum Resident

J.D. Considine, if I recall correctly. I still quote that review to this day!

15. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

It's a fine album, but like many folks say, could have been better mixed. Strange how Downes didn't mix the early Asia albums, but was trusted with this one by the label......

Philip

Phil Spalding likes this.
  16. asturias

asturias Forum Resident

Thanks Phil for your answers but also for the music in which you have participated over the years.
    Can you tell me anything about the proyected 2nd album by GTR...
    Best

17. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

$T2eC16ZHJGsFFM(f7CjEBSTRTcCKEQ~~60_57.JPG mgs1BFoktIeZwtvagrZpUEg.jpg

I think I had this on cassette (wasn't it in a transparent red plastic case?) when it first came out. I must've liked a song I heard on the radio at the time. I think I played it a lot when I first bought it but not much after that. It wasn't long before I couldn't stand it. I tried listening to it now and couldn't get very far.

Edit: found a pic of the red case, though I guess it wasn't a red transparent front

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  18. granola

granola Forum Resident

Phil, echoing another request, please share what you may on the continuance of the group after Mr. Hackett's departure, the inclusion of Robert Berry, and on the unreleased Nerotrend album. Thanks.

Phil Spalding and chewy like this.
  19. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Arista cassette cases were reddish orange.

20. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

yea! i love the nerotrend songs, this would of been such a hit- why was it shelved?!

21. John54

John54 Senior Member

One of my top 10 LPs of the '80s. I rank it even higher than Asia's Alpha and Astra, which are probably the two most similar LPs that I like a lot.

Phil Spalding and Galley like this.
  22. Wanna see (and hear) something cool?

Whoah!

23. Say It Right

Phil, yes, specific question here.

It was explained in the liner notes of the GTR King Biscuit CD that Jonathan Mover already had a connection with Steve Hackett. Apparently, there were plans for him to drum on a SH solo album, but this project was offered instead. How was it that you happened to be contacted to join? It's always fascinating to learn how a band formed then evolved. In this case, the history was obviously rather short.

Can safely speak for everybody else in that your input is very much appreciated!

LEONPROFF likes this.
  24. Phil Spalding

Phil Spalding Member

Hi my friend ... sorry about the delay ...
    Jon Mover recommended me to come down and play with the guys in December '84 ... I was the last to join. Jon was already in and Max was already there too ... I remember that because he had this kind of 'heavy rock band curly hair do' like a member of Europe (or one of those poodle haired bands !!!) and I remember him sitting on a flight case with his loud and nasal Manchester accent. They're actually very 'clear' singers from the north of England (like Liam Gallagher for example) because of their accent. Jon and I already had a connection as he'd played with us briefly in Toyah, the English pop band, after Simon Phillips had moved on in late '82. We gelled pretty quickly actually and almost directly after they'd agreed I was ok for the gig we started working on all the bits and pieces of musical material that Steve and Steve had in the bank. Another funny thing was that between US guys we decided to call S&S by their middle names because every time someone said 'Hey Steve ..' they both looked round or both answered !!! We toyed with Steve ONE and Steve TWO but that, as you can imagine, would have generated it's own problems so we went with Jimmy for Steve Howe, James being his middle name and Dicky for Steve Hackett, Richard being HIS middle name. It was a light hearted joke that the guys took very well at the time ...
    I will reply to the Nerotrend questions when I get more time to relax ... I've been playing in London with Roger Daltrey Monday and Tuesday of this week AND I went to Milan, Italy and back to London in the same day yesterday ... I'm absolutely bushed !!! The Nerotrend story is VERY interesting and has many strands to it ... I'll try and get back to you this weekend ... Godbless, PS xXx oh ... catch up with me on my Facebook page if anyone's interested ...

izgoblin, Comet01, SirMarc and 7 others like this.
  25. Phil Spalding

Phil Spalding Member

I'll try and reply next weekend Chewy ... it's a very interesting tale !!! PS xXx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.