Reassessing GTR

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Say It Right, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Spalding

Phil Spalding Member

I'll reply next weekend when I get the time to sit down and think about what I CAN say ... very interesting story !!! PS xXx

2. Phil Spalding

Phil Spalding Member

Great stuff guys ... very impressive !!! I love this song ... great chorus !!!
    PS xXx

Billy Budapest likes this.
  3. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Saw the GTR tour in Minneapolis. Still one of my favorite all time shows. Thanks Phil.

4. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

god i cant wait. thanks so much phil!!! :) :)

5. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

"younnnnnng hearts, playing the part so welllllllll"

:rolleyes:WHY WASNT THIS ON MTV :sigh:

from how phil sounds this is gonna be qute a story.

6. Phil Spalding

Phil Spalding Member

Hi guys ... who do I answer to ??? This is for general consumption and interested parties ... So I'm still SUPER tired and I have a similarly tiring week in front of me this coming week so this'll be short tonight ...
    Nerotrend Ltd was the name of a dormant off the shelf limited company that Steve Howe (and I assume Brian Lane) picked up to process the advance money that came from Clive Davis and Arista in an attempt to perpetuate the project. I assume now that at the time they needed an off the shelf limited company quickly because any advances at this time (early '87) COULDN'T be processed through the previous companies for reasons that I can only speculate on ... you can add ONE and ONE and make TWO ... that's up to you.
    Steve Hackett had long gone (another story). The last time I ACTUALLY SAW him was at our last gig in Munich which I believe was in September '86 ... you can check that date easily enough (put me right if I'm wrong) AND there are plenty of clips of that gig on Youtube ... that night was the very last time to this day that I've ever seen Steve Hackett.
    Robert Berry was subsequently introduced to us by Brian in an attempt to keep the band's image (of having two guitarists) intact AND also Robert had a whole bunch of songs that we could use too. He was a nice guy I thought but, at the time, quite naive having not really been successful in an international sense BUT he did think a great deal of himself (not a bad thing) AND he was a proper songwriter whereas GTR, up until that point, had been 'cobbling' songs together out of bits and pieces, relying more on the arranging and performing capabilities of the band as musicians.
    What you guys out there call the 'Nerotrend Album' was never more than a set demos for another GTR album. The fact that Robert is singing his own songs and Max is singing some of them too supports that fact ... they were all demos towards another album. Jonathan had left (and afterwards took them to court!!!) due to the business 'irregularities' and Nigel, being an old rhythm section partner of mine, was available to play drums at the time. The later songs on this collection of album demos were songs that Max and I had worked on independently and 'Hungry Warrior' was actually MY song which Geoff Downes topped and tailed and so it became OUR song. I don't believe the actual credits reflect that at all anywhere that it has been released. I even saw 'Hungry Warrior' on a Best Of Asia outtakes when I was Tower Records in LA once !!! INCREDIBLE !!!
    We didn't know either (I found out by accident and rushed round at the time to tell Steve Howe very angrily !!!) that Brian was also lining Robert up to work with Carl Palmer so he (Brian) was just doing his usual thing of trying to put together some kind of deal (whatever that may have been and with whoever) to get another advance, make more money etc etc blah blah blah ... In the event, after GTR had to give up, the world got '3' for it's troubles AND (I have never listened to it) probably got some of those same songs Robert brought to GTR in the first place. There's more ... so I hope that's been enlightening so far and I'll think about what else I can say ...
    Have a good week ...
    PS xXx

Comet01, SirMarc, ytserush and 12 others like this.
  7. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

:laughup:

robertawillisjr likes this.
  8. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

very interesting, thanks so much phil....

ytserush likes this.
  9. Phil,

Wow, talk about business getting in the way of the music!

Galley likes this.
  10. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Thanks for that info Phil, looking forward to more!

11. asturias

asturias Forum Resident

Thanks Phil... very interesting !!!

12. granola

granola Forum Resident

Phil, it's a privilege to be reading your 'behind the music' narrative - some twenty-five plus years later. Thanks.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  13. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Great cover !!! Sounds really nice !!!

ytserush likes this.
  14. sentinel90125

sentinel90125 Forum Resident

Thanks for the insights, Phil!

15. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Great version!!!!! Love it!

16. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Great information Phil!!!

17. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

That was a nice version. Wonder when it was filmed? I've always liked that song.

18. Curious if anyone feels there is a difference between Japanese re-issues of this CD and the original? It's not an all-time favorite, but I think they really got something good with "When the Heart Rules the Mind," "Toe the Line," and "Imagining."

19. JamesLord

JamesLord Forum Resident

Just seen this thread. I actually really liked the GTR material and saw them in concert at the Hammersmith Odeon.

It would be lovely if the album could be remixed, as the sound really was bizarre. Sadly I doubt this will happen. The King Biscuit is worth hearing - it was a mighty rhythm section live and nice to hear Phil's comments about the weird history of this unit.

20. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

21. Interesting! I hope the remastering is good.

22. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

This is a nice trip back in time. Even though this wasn't my kind of music back then, I had a soft spot for this album. We blew off graduation night and went night surfing and picked this cassette up for the trip and by the time I'd heard it a few times I really liked it. Looking forward to the reissue in a few days, if for nothing else...nostalgia's sake. Joan Lunden was so beautiful back then......still is.

23. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

So, is the "deluxe" remaster worth getting?

24. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

The original master isn't even worth getting.

25. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I didn't think much of GTR (the album) when I first heard it back in '86, didn't think much more of it when I heard it again some time in the 90's, and almost forgot it completely until I recently picked it up for a quick listen and to my surprise I quite liked it.

Shak Cohen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.