Reboot of old Leonard Nimoy show "In Search of"....with Zachary Quinto as host

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Actually, during his appearance on Colbert last night, Quinto mentioned 2 Star Trek features are in the works.

ralphb, Encuentro and dkmonroe like this.
  2. soundboy

He was on Colbert promoting a Broadway play he's currently doing with Jim Parsons (of Big Bang Theory fame)

ralphb and Encuentro like this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Huh. I thought they had really shut it down after the last one, especially since Anton Yelchin's tragic death.

4. soundboy

Quinto mentioned one will be directed by a female director (I forgot her name) and the other one in the works involves Quentin Tarantino.

Edit....here you go:

S.J. Clarkson To Helm Next ‘Star Trek’ For Paramount Pictures

Encuentro and dkmonroe like this.
  5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Oh, that's right - I remember hearing and joking about the Tarantino one. :laugh:

6. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I still watch the old ones on Youtube.

7. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Which made it quite ahead of its' time. I'm pretty sure that I first heard of the "Ancient Aliens" theory on In Search Of. Now the ancient aliens have their own long-running show.

8. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Same here, I think it was around January 13th, 1973. The first day everything made sense.

[​IMG]

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Well, that’s convenient isn’t it? :rolleyes:

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

More like a (sad) product of its time.

Maybe you had, but the crank Erich von Däniken preceded this so-called 'theory' in 1968 with the book Chariots of the Gods, and a couple of years later with a film by the same name. What's more, he probably wasn't the first to spout this nonsense, he just massively popularized at the time.

numer9, GodShifter and Vidiot like this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think VO people who do a short appearance in a show and then 30 minutes of narration get $50K per episode, not for a cheap reality show like this. I might believe $20K. Bear in mind, it's probably 2 hours' work. They could conceivably shoot 12 shows in 5 days, and then he gets paid $240K... which is a nice week's work for any actor in Hollywood.

I agree with the criticisms above that the problem with shows like this is that they promote a lot of unscientific hooey. And the public doesn't need to be stupider at this point.

The good news is... Cosmos with Neil DeGrasse-Tyson is coming back to TV in 2019, and that's a pretty solid science show.

'Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey' TV Series Will Return in 2019

budwhite, GodShifter and IronWaffle like this.
  12. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Really sick of the word 'reboot.' I mean, it's not like 'In Search of...' had a plot and this is going to be a different continuity.

13. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Agreed, and do we really need this program in the Internet age? We've already got a major anti-science movement and YouTube. Why sink money into this?

14. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

then theme song is so great

15. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

love this theme too

16. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

outro

17. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I remember seeing some of these in the movie theater. Am I just imagining that?

18. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Which is why it's on the History Channel... :rolleyes:

19. Pfffttt. In Search Of was far, far beyond solving such trivial mysteries. It instead, in episode 56 (I kid you not), tackled the far greater mystery of ‘The Great Lakes Triangle’ where they were trying to ‘discover the mysterious forces around the Great Lakes that have caused more air and sea disasters than the Bermuda Triangle.’

In Search of... (TV series) - Wikipedia

20. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

What they should do is explain why all the things they went "in search of" in the original show was a bunch of hooey and instead explain things using real science.

Deesky likes this.
  21. Thank you for summing up the reason I don't like shows of this ilk. I have watched each show mentioned. I think it terribly unfair to judge and comment upon that which I have no experience. I give a show three episodes minimum before passing judgement. Your description is valid and telling.

"In Search Of" could be interesting. If, however, they use the tired methods of constant conjecture, NEVER finding any hard evidence while trying to push an idea, and always leaning towards the unexplained as the justification for the story, I will be done after three episodes here too.

Dudley Morris and neo123 like this.
  22. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

Hey, I'm always in for more Yeti.

23. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Where one man
    has gone
    before...

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  24. I watched the original when I could as a kid, and still kind of enjoy watching them now even though I know it's mostly a lot of hooey. Curiosity will get the new version at least one viewing, but probably not much more than that.

25. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Quinto was on Colbert the other day, and talked a bit about the show. He specifically mentioned that he's not just doing the intros, but also going out and doing some "in the field" pieces.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.