Receiver / Amp Upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by btlsooner, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btlsooner

btlsooner Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have never posted before but I have been reading info off the forums the last few years. I found a lot of the info I have found very helpful in building up my system. This is what I am currently working with:

Technics SL-1200 MK2 turntable
    Sumiko Black Pearl cartridge
    Sherwood Rx-409 receiver
    ELAC B6 speakers

I started off smaller then this and have upgraded as time has gone on. My question is, is it work upgrading my current receiver to something a little more audiophile. I know that the Sherwood has had a lot of great reviews on the site but didn't know if it would improve my overall sound if I were to upgrade to like a Onyko A-9010 or even a vintage early 70s Marantz or something of that nature. I would be willing to spend anywhere up to $1,000 or so.

I have my stereo setup in a small office room in my house. I use it strictly for listening to music. Would upgrading my receiver give me a better sound? Thanks for any advice any of yall can give.

2. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

If you're just listening to two channel music, what about an integrated amp? That might get you better sound than any receiver. Do you use any of the receiver features that would preclude you from going with an integrated amp?

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Better how? As long as the receiver has enough power to drive the speakers and isn't causing any problems you can hear, I'd leave it alone. Sure you could move to a "better" unit but it is unlikely you will really hear the difference. You may notice a difference if the new receiver has a nicer built-in phono preamp than the Sherwood. Not likely on the Onkyo, maybe would be the case on an old rebuilt Marantz.

Personally I'd take that $1K and spend it on better speakers or a better phono pre and cartridge, or all three. I'd move the integrated amp/receiver upgrade further down the list.

SandAndGlass, LarryP and btlsooner like this.
  4. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

That Sherwood receiver is mighty nice as is. I'd think you'd have to spend up quite a bit to yield a significant improvement. And/or move up to a tube integrated amp, at who-knows-what cost.

If you are strictly vinyl as it seems (and that part of your rig is also very nice), I'd suggest a separate dedicated phono pre-amp. I don't have a specific recommendation, but here's a bunch at many price points:

Phono Preamps

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You can buy a very nice, hi-fi amplifier brand new for $1k. It would be foolish to buy used at that level. If you have some serious disposable income and fancy tinkering with older gear, you could also buy a fully restored vacuum tube amplifier for that same amount. Anything that old and without restoration would be a mistake.
    -Bill

SandAndGlass and btlsooner like this.
  6. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

I guess I should back up here. I thought perhaps the speakers were a given. I'd agree that a speaker upgrade might produce the biggest sound quality improvement. As it appears the Sherwood has a good design and good power, you should have loads of speakers to choose from.

7. btlsooner

No, I just use it strictly for listening to vinyl.

8. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

First of all, what is missing in your current setup that makes you want to upgrade?

patient_ot likes this.
  9. btlsooner

I guess from the reading I have done on here and on the internet, a lot of my stuff is kind of entry level equipment. I didn't know if improving certain items would drastically increase my sound quality. My table is good. I though my speakers were really good but many have said to upgrade those. I didn't know if a higher quality amp / receiver would increase my overall sound. I am definitley going to research a pre amp after reading these comments

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

@btlsooner sooner, no is saying there is anything wrong with your speakers. What they are saying is that upgrading speakers is the most obvious way to do an upgrade that you can actually hear. After that cartridge/phono preamp. Upgrading amplification may improve things but the difference is probably going to be very subtle. It may not even be audible to you at all.

btlsooner likes this.
  11. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

12. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

If you are happy, no need to change. Else, it will be endless tweaking, upgrading, plenty of wasted energy and frustration.
    Amp is not the first thing you want to upgrade to improve your sound. Optimizing your room, speakers placement, you sitting position, etc, make more noticeable improvement.

gd0 and btlsooner like this.
  13. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

btlsooner likes this.
  14. btlsooner

Thanks for all the advice everybody. I have been doing a little research this morning on good pre amps. Does anybody have any experience with a Pro-ject Audio Tube Box S? Also, any speaker suggestions for an upgrade over those ELACs?

15. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

So,

1. Are thinking of going with a tube integrated?

2. What is your price range for speakers?

3. If you get new speakers, are you set on bookshelf speakers, or willing to get floor standing?

There are scads of integrated amps and speakers out there, and you will want to set some parameters in terms of price and design.

16. btlsooner

I just want whatever sounds the best. I have heard that Tube can give a great sound

I would say my total price range for speakers, pre amp, and cartridge would be in the $1,500 range

I'm ok with floor standing speakers.

17. mtrot

mtrot Forum Resident

Well, a quality tube amp alone might run $1500 or more. Perhaps someone here knows of a great one for less $. For $1500, I think I'd put the money into speakers or a better cartridge, but I'm no expert on current cartridges.

18. Helom

Helom Forum member

If it were my system, I'd upgrade the cartridge. The Technics is deserving of a better cart and it would cost much less than $1k to achieve. Many cartridge prices are rising at an absurd rate. It might be wise to invest in a better cart now, even if you won't install it until the Pearl's stylus wears out.

SpeedMorris likes this.
  19. btlsooner

would the Denon DL-110 be a good cartridge to upgrade to? any recommendations?

20. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

No CD player? I understand the appeal of vinyl, but in a good budget system, CD players still provide max bang for the buck in my experience. Especially if the alternative is going into esoteric cartridges.

21. Helom

Helom Forum member

I have not heard it but they seem to be well regarded. Though you must keep in mind that it's a fairly low output compared to most MM carts. A Shure M97xe with Jico SAS stylus is a significant improvement over a Pearl.

This is also a good route if you have/ buy CDs. It's always good to have format options. It doesn't cost a fortune to get a decent CD player.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

no way the sherwood can touch a good dedicated two channel amp from a more "high end" company. Sherwood is a cheap chinese mass market company. everything is done for a price point, not sound quality. there are plenty of options in your price range, new or used (I don't think you need to be afraid of used integrated amps). rega, nad, cambridge, peachtree etc. just do a little research.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.