Receiver Problem - Please Advise

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Inertiatic-Wrist, May 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inertiatic-Wrist

Inertiatic-Wrist Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello fine folks,

I'm having an issue with my receiver. It is an Optimus STAV-3790. The right channel is much softer than the left channel. After much testing, I believe I've isolated the problem to the receiver itself. When I switch the speaker wires and put the left speaker wires into the right slot, and vice versa, the right speaker then becomes the loud one and the left is then quiet. So it seems like it has something to do with the connection on the receiver itself, not the speaker wire or the speakers since they work at normal volume when plugged into the other side.

I don't believe it has a "balance" feature, I've never seen one or messed with that in all the years I've owned it, so I don't think that could be the issue either.

Any advice on what to do? It's so old that I don't want to take it to get professionally repaired, because I imagine the repair fee would be more than what it's worth. I'm hoping there's something I can do to remedy it.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

2. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

It is a 20 year old piece of equipment, might just be it's time )-;

3. Inertiatic-Wrist

I've definitely considered that possibility, but I wish there was a definitive way to know that it wasn't something else and that it was definitely that. I mean, I'd love an excuse to upgrade, but I'm stubborn and don't want to unless I know it's absolutely necessary, you know?

4. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

There is no easy magic way to fix your receiver unless you are a technician. Time to replace it.

5. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Inertiatic-Wrist likes this.
  6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Can you get a tech to give you an estimate for the work?

bluesaddict likes this.
  7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Sounds to me like it's time to let it go.

If you have an additional set of L/R speaker output jacks in the back of your amp, you could try using that to see if you still have the issue.

Only other thing I'd suggest you test is the radio. If you still have the same issue, it's definitely the amp at fault. If not, it's either one of your sources or one of the interconnects you're using that might be problematic. You can troubleshoot from there.

Inertiatic-Wrist likes this.
  8. Inertiatic-Wrist

Thanks so much for this. I tried the radio and did NOT have the issue. That helped narrow it down.

For reference, here's what I've got plugged into the receiver:
    NAD PP 2i Phono Preamp, with an AT-LP120 turntable plugged into the preamp.

So I tried turning on the Phono preamp that's built-in to the turntable, disconnecting my pre-amp, and plugging it directly into the receiver. Sounded weird, but changed inputs (Tape vs. CD) and it sounded good. What makes it even more complicated is that the issue is intermittent. It crapped out last night, I went to bed frustrated, then woke up and listened and it was gone--for at least 30min. And now after switching the speakers from the A to B slot and switching the source input, it appears to working for now.

So it's either one of the source inputs in the receiver that's going out, or it's the cable connecting the pre-amp to the receiver. I still have more testing to do, but I appreciate all the suggestions and help. I'm not a super technical guy (though I can be when the going gets tough and I have to Google my way through things), so sometimes I get flustered and blank on some (fairly obvious) things to test.

Getting to listen to my records is one of the highlights of getting to work from home some days, so it's been hard to concentrate on work knowing there's a problem to solve!

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Do you have more interconnects you can try? You could even buy the very cheapest ones from a drugstore, if need be. This is purely for troubleshooting purposes anyway. Is it any better?

Do you have a CD, DVD, SACD player or a console like a PlayStation 1, 2, 3? If so, connect that to any of the inputs (except TAPE) and give it a try. Why? To eliminate anything to do with the turntable which itself could be problematic. Again, connect it to anything but TAPE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.