Receivers / Amps that use 6L6 tubes?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Sep 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

I've found plenty of receivers and amps that use other types of tubes but I am having a hard time finding one that uses 6L6 power tubes. Can anyone help?

I am trying to match my McIntosh MC240 (with GE6L6 power tubes) for rear 5.1 speakers "on the cheap". :)

A place I know of would modify an old "Shell" amplifier for me to take 6L6 tubes but I'd rather stick to "original stock" pieces. MC30 monoblocks are a bit pricy and I'd rather avoid that expence right now. Another MC240 is more expensive than MC30 monoblocks (but I know where one is!!! :D )

Thanks, tube fans!

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

There's an old Scott receiver with tubes that I *Believe* uses 6L6's, but I've got to take it apart and look underneath the tube sleeves. Most units I've junked for parts use 12AU7 or 12AX7.

Gary, how crafty are you with a soldering iron? There are TONS of great tube schems using 6L6s, and they're fairly simple. Truthfully, DIY might be the only cheap solution.

http://www.pmillett.addr.com/push-pull_kt88_class_a_amp_with_universal_driver_pcb.htm

As it stands, most 2 channel amps at ALL, sold used (eBay) on the cheap, are tube units that need work. Trying to find a decent SS around 80w, monoblock or stereo, is higher priced.

3. Drew

Drew Senior Member

4. Gary

Sckott, I can't read a scheamatic (or spell it ;) ) so I doubt I'd be handy at all.

If it's a non working used tube amp, unless it's a fuse or a fuesable link that I can test, I doubt that ... well... no, better stick to hammers. Thanks for the idea, though. :sigh:

I have a friend who can do house wiring.... I wonder if I can bribe him. Hmmmm.....

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hey Gary,

Why not use the 240 only for a 2 channel rig and score a new cheapo A/V receiver for your surround endeavors?

-Jeffrey

6. Gary

Yea, but I want to investigate the tube 5.1 sound possibilities first. And if I am not impressed - either with 5.1 or the tube amp, I can always integrate the tube amp into other house systems!

The cheapo A/V receiver will probably wear out my patience. Especially comparing it with the tube set up.

Eh, I'm in no rush!

7. Jeffrey

Hi,

Geez.... there is just no changin' a tube head. Once a tube head, always a tube head. :)

-Jeffrey

8. Sckott

Just picked up, as junk, a Sherwood S-8000-III tube receiver with 7868 power tubes. Bad caps, the tubes might be bad too... Going to Mouser today to pick up a couple of 120mfd-250vdc caps. The fuse was missing from the unit, and upon replacing it, I figured out why.... bad power supply caps...

Here's a picture of the Mk IV, it's twin. Looks very much the same. Notice the plywood cover, as normal on many older Scotts.......

Got it from a client who've I built PCs for long ago. He saw this at the junkyard looking fairly "perfect".

A little Murphy's oil soap, and it looks like new.

The trick is, the 7868 tubes are a pain in the ass to get a hold of, unless you're lucky or have $100+ burning a hole in your pocket.

S/B 35wpc. I'll keep you all informed. Might be a nice museum piece!

Attached Files:

9. Gary

Sckott, I know a place or two that has a bunch of tubes... let me know the numbers and how many. I'll get a price if I can.

Ya never know!

Of course I'm a tube head, Jeffrey! Just look at my avatar....

10. Sckott

They're 7868's, and I need a clean quad. The side-getters gave the sides of the tubes halo-burns. Might be normal, since they're GE OEM originals (as is most every tube in the unit, and there are MANY) but the power tubes in the rear end are suspicious. I'll bet my 4 X 7868's are bad....

The cap, I have in my hand, looks like it spewed mashed potatoes. Yep! No capacity on the oHm check! Dead!

7868's aren't always easy tubes. I'd use equivs if I could, but they won't fit without glasstouchingglass

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sckott,

I have a Sherwood integrated from around 1961. It uses EL-84's, like the Beatles' Vox guitar amps.

Great sound, and when you crank it up, it does sound like a British Invasion guitar amp! :)

12. Gary

Is there a picture of this on your web site Steve? Sounds like yummy surround to me!!!

13. Sckott

Thanks Steve. :) We'll see, eh?

I'll throw some pictures up, because the wiring in this beast is a little on the frightening side. Truthfully though, there's some high quality caps in the unit. It doesn't look like a bogus 1958 Bogen, it looks like some serious engineering work went into it.

I'm impressed with the condition, as both electronically and asthetically, it's looks like it's in wonderful shape. I have to wait for the caps to come in, and then see if I've got bad tubes. Hopefully, at least one channel will work so I have a prime example before I start thinking of spending a lot of money into it.

Not bad! Heck...it was a wonderful gesture from a guy who didn't owe me nothin'. The transformers make it VERY heavy, so I concider that in his gesture.

So, he's on my Cristmas Card list :)

14. Jeffrey

Geez Gary..... your spoze to put the tube in the socket NOT your head! :D

-Jeffrey

15. Gary

Sez who? Hey I've be e e e e e e n doing this for y e e e e e e e ars and I've had no side e e e e e e e e e e e e e ffects at all .. .. .. ... ;)

16. Gary

Hmmm found someone who will modify an old Fischer '60's receiver to 6L6's for me. If I like Surround Sound or 5.1 (well really 4.1) I may order it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.