Recent Jazz Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Ben, Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member Thread Starter

Last Saturday I was in a Jazz mood so I started playing 3 Mono 200g Classic Records: Cannonball Adderley's Somethin' Else, John Coltrane's Blue Train and Lee Morgan's Candy. I must say these titles sound really wonderful in mono. Maybe not quite the revelation of a Sgt. Pepper's mono, but nevertheless "must have" indeed. All three titles seemed to have slight/occasional surface noise, but after careful cleaning I was able to get rid of just about all of the surface noise. Then, right in the middle of the listening session I got a special delivery....AP's Saxophone Colossus at 45 RPM (mastered by Steve and Kevin). All I can say is that this is another outstanding LP that blows away any previous release. The vinyl on this baby is also flawless. My highest recommendation!!!!
    Thanks again to Steve, Kevin, Chad and all at RTI.

BTW, for those already subscribed to the series...a special offer was made by Chad. We can keep our Ltd. Ed. No. for the two 45 RPM singles (Isaac Hayes and the Staples), the SRV/Albert King 45 RPM LP, and the 3 Art Pepper LPs. All for $190 shipping included.
    Who's going for the whole enchilada?

BC

2. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Some years back, I found a few used mono Coltrane LPs in near-mint shape (A Love Supreme, Live at Birdland and JC with Johnny Hartman). It was very cool to hear Love Supreme in mono. Some of those recordings in stereo really make the musicians sound like they are isolated in a cardboard box (esp. Tyner's piano). It would be nice to have some of the old Coltrane stuff issued on CD in mono/stereo packages. Also, since the mono masters haven't been hauled out to re-re-remaster over the years, I'd be keen to see how those masters sound in comparison.

Cheers,
    Chris

3. -Ben

Maybe I should rephrase since I don't have the original monos.
    Let's say ....It sounds like it could blow away all previous releases.
    BC

4. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I've been in a jazz mood a lot myself lately, and I am awaiting delivery any day now of the mono Blue Train on Classic (as well as Speakers Corner's issue of Ben Webster's Soulville, one of my two or three all-time fave jazz LPs). I can't wait to check it out.

Cost has so far prohibited me from checking out the AP 45rpm jazz issues, but I've decided to allow myself to buy one (maybe two) ... and I'm thinking Rollins' Saxophone Colossus may just be it. That's another of my two or three favorite jazz albums, and even though I have and love the DCC gold CD I don't know if I can let the 45rpm issue go by me.

I just bought my first Lee Morgan album, The Sidewinder ('97 Blue Note heavy-vinyl reissue), last weekend, and I love it. Would you recommend Candy musically?

5. -Ben

Re: Re: Recent Jazz Vinyl

Absolutely, but if you don't have Adderley's Somethin' Else in mono, I would recommend that first. I have the other two LPs you mentioned (Soulville SC and Sidewinder BN97), they are both excellent.

BC

6. JPartyka

Thanks ... I only have Somethin' Else on the "RVG Series" remastered CD. And of course the music is first-rate, so maybe I should consider the Classic mono ...

I think my LP budget for the next six months is already spent!

7. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Ben, thanks for the suggestion for these titles and the thumbs up. I've been meaning to pick them up and I think I'll order them in a few weeks. I have the 'Hank Mobley' mono LP and I think they did a great job.

I'm going to give Steve's new 45's a spin this weekend and I look forward to it.

Did Steve master these other 45's that Chad is offering?

Todd

8. -Ben

Oh yes, I have the Hank Mobley too. FANTASTIC! :thumbsup:

The whole bundle (3 Art Peppers, Hayes, Staples and SRV/Albert King) is 45 RPM and remastered/cut by Steve and Kevin. My money tree is not growing too fast these days so I think I'm going to stick to the Hayes and Staples.

Am I going to regret not having the SRV/Albert King?
    I have not heard the CD.

BC

9. Todd Fredericks

Ben, I know what you mean about these damn money trees. Let's hope the summer brings plenty of growth and most importantly, many leaves... :)

10. -Ben

I don't have the RVG CD, but this is what M. Fremer says on his review of the Classic mono LP:

"For digital-only folks, there's also an RVG-remastered CD which is "stereo" but cuts way back on the separation, and Classic probably still has its DAD DVD-Video-based disc available, mastered with the original wide separation mix. Naturally, the vinyl sounds best. "

BC

11. Todd Fredericks

Well, I couldn't wait for the weekend. I'm very happy with these 2 new 45 releases. Keep 'em coming...

Also, Steve can you give us any details about these other releases that Ben mentioned. I got the letter too and I'm tempted...

Todd

P.S. I hope the weather's good this summer for that ole money tree and a few coin plants...

12. JPartyka

Re: Re: Recent Jazz Vinyl

These arrived yesterday and I got a chance to clean and play 'em both today.

Ben was right ... the Classic mono Blue Train is one sweet listen. Granted, the only thing I have to compare it to is the stereo Ultimate Blue Train CD (much maligned here, of course) ... but I'm mighty impressed, particularly with the impact of the horns and of Paul Chambers' bass when he starts bowing it during "Moment's Notice." And the vinyl is nice and quiet too.

Good as it is, the Speakers Corner Soulville really made my jaw drop. In fact I think I'm going right back down to the listening room to hear it again ... Webster's horn is so there; it's really incredible. And it's another slab of really quiet vinyl ... SC really did an exemplary job with this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.