Recommend a boombox that plays files via USB stick

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Digital-G, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Digital-G

Digital-G Forum Resident Thread Starter

The title pretty much says it all. I guess a CD player would be nice but not essential - I've never had a portable radio (boombox) where the CD player lasted for more than a few months. (Do people still come them boomboxes?)

Happened to be at Walmart and the guy in the electronics dept told me it's pretty standard on all portable radios. However, they only had 1 with that feature out of 6 or 7 portables. Go figure.

Anyway, looking to spend US $60 or so.

Thanks,

2. Digital-G

Digital-G Forum Resident Thread Starter

C'mon, anyone?

3. vwestlife

vwestlife Member

Probably the best you'll get in your price range is one of these QuantumFX faux retro boomboxes:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  4. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Why not just get a portable Bluetooth speaker and play the files from a smartphone, Alexa or whatever?

wvsteveo likes this.
  5. beat_truck

beat_truck Member

Believe it or not, not everyone owns a smartphone.:wtf:

I'd also be interested in a decent boombox with USB input. Unfortunately, almost all of the ones that I've seen have been no-name junk like the one shown above.

This one looks like it might be promising, at least it is a recognizable brand: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Portable-Boombox-Presets-Headphone/dp/B011CUSX3C/ref=sr_1_17?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1510896363&sr=1-17&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:2887780011

6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

If you computer or laptop has Bluetooth, it could also connect to a Bluetooth speaker.

The reason why I'm suggesting a Bluetooth speaker is because there aren't many if any decent boomboxes out there anymore, as you've noticed.

This gigantic Sony sounds pretty good, especially for the price, and it can play LOUD. I believe it'll play files from a USB stick. I don't think it'll work off batteries though - has to be plugged in.

Great for parties.

BayouTiger likes this.
  7. beat_truck

beat_truck Member

The idea of a boombox is generally to be portable. Having a bluetooth speaker being fed by your computer doesn't exactly sound portable. I don't know if you are referring to the Sony in my previous post or not, but the one in my post will run on batteries and it's hardly gigantic, going by the specs they give.

8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

If you're set on a boombox then your choices are pretty limited. I haven't seen any in years that I thought sounded halfway decent.

9. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Active Member

Get the Sony. It's in your price range. I think Panasonic has one too?

10. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

But there’s lots of really great Bluetooth speakers and most have an auxiliary input. Then there’s lots of portable players at every price point. Or hit up a family member that has recently got a shiny new smartphone and get their hand me down. An old iPhone is a great music player and be bought for pennies on the dollar. Also check the local pawn shops. They generally have lots of old iPods for next to nothing.