Recommend a good pro CD player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by nosticker, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy Thread Starter

Here's a poser for you: I have a sight-impaired friend who is a music fanatic, listening to CD's endlessly. Consumer-grade CD players simply buckle under the sheer number of hours he puts on every machine, and most of the things he buys fails after a year or two.

I'd like to get him something more robust, without going overboard on the price. What would you all recommend?

Thanks for your advice!

Dan

2. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

I like the DJ-style CD players from Pioneer...

Dennon makes a similar one.

I'm sure Brad will chime in soon with the best price...

hth,

Attached Files:

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

4. nosticker

Some of these Pioneer and Panasonic machines look like you could throw them from a speeding truck and still do a gig with them. Anyone have experience with some of the more affordable ones like Gemini or Numark? Are any of those OEMed by a good company?

Dan
    PS This was originally a gift idea for someone, but now those pro machines look so sweet!
    Things that make you go Hmmmmm.....

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi all,

I recommend getting either the Marantz professional players, the new Tascam (we just got 4 of them at work), the new HHb, or the Pioneer. All are excellent. Our Marantzes at work have taken heavy hours of student abusage (we are a 2 NPR station group, 2 student run FM, and a 2 colleges of communications at UT). The Gemini players are no more sturdy than any consumer player. I am going by what I have had to do the fewest repairs on and replacements on.

6. BradOlson

I know that we at NorthernLightFX can order professional Denon/Marantz, professional Pioneer and TASCAM product but contact my employer via www.northernlightfx.com if we can order HHb.

7. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

What makes you think a "pro" player will last longer, what is the percieved difference between that and a "consumer" player? As far as longevity the drives are probably the same. What is he using now and what happened to it? Lets try and find a solution vs. meaningless conjecture.

8. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

Couldn't agree more. A well made consumer product should last as long, if not longer.
    Without spending loads of money I'd always buy Yamaha. Their reliabilty in the UK is amazing plus they have the BEST service dept (eat your heart out Quad!)

A good guide is what they use in record shops - in Virgin they used Denons non stop for years. A Linn Karik apparantly was on the QE2 Ship, played 24 hrs a day for over 10 years, that's not bad!

The only thing that goes wrong with CD players is the laser, and as long as they are available then they can be repaired quite cheaply.

My old Linn Genki was abused for 4 years without fault, then I got the much better sounding Ikemi and the laser failed in a month.

Tim

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

The home CD players are built for light duty usage. The better grade players will last longer. The Professional grade CD players are designed for broadcast usage, pro sound use, PA use, nightclub use and are designed for heavy use and more convenient and quicker cuing. There is a big difference between 2-3 hours a day at an audiophile home and 24/7/365 usage by heavy handed DJ types at a radio station, etc. Most broadcast gear is never turned off.

10. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

We use a caousel changer at work to provide music in our college bookstore, meaning it runs seventy hours a week fifty weeks a year. We've been through three: a Sony, a Technics, and an Onkyo. Get an Onkyo.

Incidentally, yes, the college must pay royalties for campus-wide use of music. It's a flat fee that covers just about everything, including our store.

11. BradOlson

Kent is right.

12. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

If you need to get out 'on the cheap', you might want to try one of the cheaper Pioneer DVD players, and use them stand-alone or with a DAC.

The reason I recommend this is because Pioneer typically offers the most reliable disc transport mechanisms on the market. I bet you could run one of their DV-588A models ($129) for a year straight on repeat and it would be fine.

I used to work in an enviroment where we ran CDPs and DVD players 24/7 on repeat. Without question, the Pioneer models would run the hardiest, after many other name brand players would lock up after months or even weeks.

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Most Onkyo's are Pioneer-based disc transports.

14. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I have to disagree. "Consumer" and "Professional" CD players mainly differ in cosmetics and functionality but not much else. They share the same transports (the part that usually wears out) power supplies, etc. why would you think a "pro" unit should last longer?

Any self respecting "audiophile" knows they should never turn off their gear. ;)

15. nosticker

I've had better luck with professional players, but it could be just that---luck.

Never turn off gear? You must be a wealthy man!

Thanks to everyone for the advice...it is really appreciated.

Basically, what I'm up against is this: my friend is nearly 100% blind. He can't see anything but light, really. He likes the Panasonic shelf systems that go for about 100 bucks(as do I).
    For the money, they're the ones to beat, but two of them have died after about a year. It's frustrating, because the issue is longevity, and neither is he in the financial position to do much.

I may very well start with that Pioneer DV-588A and build his system out from there, replacing the other amps and speakers as I go. But hey, any and all input helps!

Dan

16. MeanMr.Mustard

MeanMr.Mustard Forum Resident

why should you never turn off your gear, and what gear are u talking about. Everything like the amps and cd player.

17. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

I need to replace my CD player. How is the Onkyo DX C390 6 CD changer?

18. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

Dan, could you give us a ballpark figure? :wave:

19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

We have the C380 six-disc player in our store, and it's built like a freakin' tank. It really is a step up in construction from ordinary consumer electronics.

I have no opinion on the sound quality, since it's being used to feed a cheap store sound system.

20. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

21. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I have a Numark CDN-12 that I got for less than $200 for my own personal use. The only complaint I have is that it is rack-mountable, and doesn't fit in my stereo cabinet. (It sits on top where the turntable used to be - which is now inside the cabinet.)

It sometimes will have a little trouble finding tracks on homemade CD-R's and once in a while will not come back to life after being on pause for a long time, but it has never skipped or gotten stuck, even on some moderately damaged discs (none of my discs could be described as heavily damaged.)

It may not have as many bells and whistles as other pro players, and may not be as sturdy as a tank, but for the price, I'd say it was well worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.