Recommend a good turntable set-up on the cheap

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RickH, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

Here's what I'm thinking: I might consider getting a turntable primarily for the purpose of needle-dropping records I've had for 30+ years. Is there a recommended turntable that would serve that purpose well and also sound "fairly tolerable" (to quote Briscoe Darling) if I sprung for some new vinyl, but without spending a fortune? The offerings on the Crutchfield site look pretty much in line with where my budget is, the models that come with the cartridge already. Is it possible to get better-than-CD sound from well-mastered vinyl at those price points?

2. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member

I suggest buying vintage used from Craig's List etc. Technics are common and cheap.

You can find proper Japan made tables from the 1980's on CL for around $50-$100 including a cart. Tuned-up a bit and well cleaned, this will provide decent sound for little money... Technics are common as car-keys, and easy to work on, parts are available and cheap to get. Are they state-of-the-art? No, but you are not spending thousands on the TT system either.. Sound for Dollar, this is my best bet.

Bolero and McLover like this.
  3. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

Get a Rega P1. $350. Everything you'll ever need.

4. haas

haas Forum Resident

You can get an old BIC 960 on the internet for about 50 bucks. Surprisingly good sounding deck and it plays 45's. On some music I prefer it to my Linn LP12.

Haas

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

:righton:

6. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

I'll toss out the obligatory Thorens recommendation. TD-160s can be had for $125-$300 depending on condition and patience you're willing to exhibit when looking.
    Throw a $50 to $100 cartridge on it and start listening.

7. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

The Technics recommendation is a good one, specially their higher end products. Other Japanese high end Direct Drives are a good option as well.

I am particularly fond of the better Sansui tables such as the SR-838 and 929....

Attached Files:

8. www.records

www.records Active Member

I haven't heard the new Rega P1, but those that have heard it say it is very good for $350. The only thing that I would have questions about is how well they are made. They appear to be pretty cheaply made judging from the pictures.

Some of the vintage Japanese tables can be great buys, built very well, and the prices seems to be rising instead of decreasing, which means you probably wouldn't lose any money if and when you decide to sell it. If you decide to go the vintage route, I suggest you ask about specific models to look for before buying and then see if you can find it locally to avoid the shipping gorillas.

9. vinyl anachronist

Jeff's bringing down a P1 for me to listen to in a few weeks. I want to compare it directly to the P2 that I have, and eventually with one of the new P2s that are starting to come down the pike. I've heard a P1 twice now under limited circumstances and I see it as a great thing, something that will definitely fuel the vinyl resurgence.

I'm really trying to avoid this becoming another anti-Technics rant, but I would stress to the original poster the importance of listening for yourself if you can before buying anything.

10. www.records

www.records Active Member

Sounds reasonable to me. I hope the P1 is built well enough to hold up well. I have read it sounds very good for the price.

I have also read about your wanting to compare a SL1200 against a P2. Too bad no one has taken you up on it, as I would be curious to hear the results. One thing about it, both Technics and Rega have brought a whole lot of enjoyment to a whole bunch of analog lovers and I imagine most folks in that budget would be happy with either one.

11. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

That new Denon DP-300F listed there can be found much cheaper at the link below($210)........

Denon DP-300F

12. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Hi Dave:

Checked out your link, then went on to the Denon sight to get a better "blow-up" view. Not a bad looking table whatsoever. Being that it's belt drive (I have a higher end Denon direct drive in my 2nd system, and there's no contest with my Rega Planar 2), comes with a cartridge, and can be used straight in to those components without phono input, makes it a very attractive option for the budget minded. For those of us that are all thumbs, the detachable headshell and full auto features are icing on the cake.

13. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

That Sansui looks purdy nice :righton:

14. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

The "built-in" phono preamps on most turntables are pretty dreadful. I know for a fact that Denon, Audio-Technica and Gemini "built-in preamps" are terrible, I've HAD them. If you have to skimp a little on a turntable to get a decent preamp, in my opinion it's worth it if you're going to be doing groove rips. You can always upgrade the turntable later on, but years down the road you'll still have to listen to that awful preamp you made the transfers with. Can you live with that?

15. vinyl anachronist

I was turned down by KAB to review one of their modified 1200s. I have found a source for stock 1200s and may get one yet!

16. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

I first saw it mentioned by a poster at Audio Asylum(see below, the pics have gone) who liked it.........

Audio Asylum Post

17. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Good point...

Don't use the preamp. We're still looking at a great list of features for a couple of franklins. Is there anything out there (with the exception of vintage) that's anywhere close - feature/cost comparison with cartridge included?

18. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

That new Rega P1 Model sure sounds like a winner to me. I would look into it before anything else if it were me looking to buy a new tt right now. Rega makes quality tables in my opinion.

19. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

That particular Denon's built-in pre-amp can be switched off.

20. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Well...if you need a phono amp on the cheap, do what I did and go for a Parasound Zphono. $149 shipped at Audio Advisor. Terrific match for my 1200 and AT440MLa cart. Loving analog life right now.

Also good, and around $50 I believe is the Hagerman Bugle.

Don't skimp and get an "all-in-one" turntable/amp. I had the Denon DPDJ-151 and it sounded HORRIBLE, with the amp and without.

21. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

I'm with ya there.

If a better value can be had in the TT world than a good used TD-160, I'd like to know what it is.

22. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

The Hagerman has gotten some pretty good press, but the $50 price you quote is for a "half kit", which includes the blank circuit board and plans. Strickly a DIY project, one must supply the parts and power supply. I think the price of the Bugle fully assembled is around four bills, sans the power supply. This certainly puts it out of the budget range of Mr. RickH, as does the Parasound. Mr. Rick didn't mention if he needed the pre-amp, and if not, the Denon may still prove itself as a viable option. If he has located a dealer in his vacinity, it's a no brainer to check it out. Maybe I should work for Denon, eh?

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

four bills = ??

The "half kit" is $40, and I don't remember exactly how much the components cost...maybe $20 or something. Of course, you don't even need the $40 PCB if you just use a generic one. Won't be quite as pretty, but...

24. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Don't skimp and get an "all-in-one" turntable/amp. I had the Denon DPDJ-151 and it sounded HORRIBLE, with the amp and without.[/QUOTE]

Yes, THAT's the one! It was an abomination. You think a Denon turntable is made by Denon and an A/T turntable is made by A/T? Nope. Turntables are like the menu at a Chinese restaurant... let's see, we'll take a tonearm from column A and a platter from column B... all made at the same factory in Singapore. With slight cosmetic differences, all "Technics-style" tables are alike, unless it's an ACTUAL Technics, then it's halfway decent.

25. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I like the Denon Dp-300f that others have mentioned. The included cart isn't anything special, but I replaced mine with the Audio Technica AT440 and that made a huge difference. It's a great little 'table that I use all the time, and the automatic features are perfect for late night listening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.