Recommend a good turntable set-up on the cheap

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RickH, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Yes, THAT's the one! It was an abomination. You think a Denon turntable is made by Denon and an A/T turntable is made by A/T? Nope. Turntables are like the menu at a Chinese restaurant... let's see, we'll take a tonearm from column A and a platter from column B... all made at the same factory in Singapore. With slight cosmetic differences, all "Technics-style" tables are alike, unless it's an ACTUAL Technics, then it's halfway decent.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

2. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

I'm quite sure this TT would fill my needs very well, which would be primarily needle-drops. The last table I had was a Technics I bought back around 1979 or '80, that sounded good and looked pretty much like the ones in the pics posted in the second post, and the Denon is most likely a better turntable than the Technics.

Thanks for the responses. Oh, one other question: where can a used Thorens be found?

3. bangsezmax

bangsezmax Forum Resident

EBay.

BTW -- where exactly in NC are you? I might be able to help you with a TT. I have too many as it is. :eek:

You can PM me if you want.

4. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

My apologies:

The $400 is for the Bugle pro (phono, power supply, and equilizer) assembled.

5. I picked up an ELAC Miracord 50H-II for $25 a few months back. I bought it with the sole purpose of playing the occasional 78, but was surprised at how nice it sounded for playing LPs and 45s. Granted, it may not be a Linn Sondek LP12, but it's definitely better than the average plastic-base Japanese turntable. Only disadvantage is limited parts supply - just be certain that the important parts are all there and fully functional (such as idler tire, platter bearings, tonearm, it's bearings, and all items necessary to make it functional). On the other hand, they were built so well, with proper maintenance, they can last for years, even decades. Otherwise, there's several newer choices in the sub-$500 range (that is if one is willing to spend that much).

6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I’m giving this a bump. The last post was 2007. Surely there have been some newer, great, cheap turntables that have been released since 2007 (or, at the very least, great turntables that were expensive in 2007 that are now in the $400 and below category).

7. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

What about the Carbon Debut DC, now that the DC model comes with a speedbox. Thats gotta be good value dosent it? Under $600 I think..

8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

What is a speedbox?

9. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Better control of platter speed through an outside power supply type of thing. Also means you can change speeds without having to wrestle the belt itself. Some say the Debuts speed can be a bit suspect, now there is a speedbox that should clear up that issue. I think.

10. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

supermd likes this.
  11. The Entertainer

The Entertainer Forum Resident

From everything I've heard, the Audio Technica AT-LP120 is an absolute steal at $240-$260. It's what I'm looking at right now to replace a cheapy Sony PS-LX300usb I've been using for needle drops.

12. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

As a couple of people have recommended; the Rega P1 would be a good start. Or if they're out there, something like the Goldring GR2, which was a Rega P2 clone, came with an AT cartridge. You never know what turns up in the odd shop from time to time. Worth checking out.

13. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

jeffsab and utahusker like this.
  14. cathare34

cathare34 Forum Resident

Just buy a vintage turntable put an audio technica AT-440MLa on it and you have a very good turntable. 500 bucks well spent

I recently bought a Vintage (The guy just played once this table) Pioneer PL-3F done some cheap mods on it together with the AT-440MLA this little gem sounded pretty good since i have put the AT33PTG\II on it what an upgrade and hell what great turntable and sound i have.

Paul K likes this.
  15. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Used Rega P2: $200 - 300
    NOS or retipped Ortofon MC-10 Super: $100 -150
    NAD PP4 Phono/USB: $200

I owned the P2/ortofon combo for about 14 years. I had zero problems with both (other than one belt replacement and retip) , and the sound quality was excellent. The only reason I upgraded was because my friend was continually hounding me to sell him my setup, and I was ready for a change. I used a Denon SUT into my Sansui AU-9900 phono section, so I cant speak of the NAD's performance. NAD usually does decent work and the PP4 seems to have all you need to get needle-droppin'.

16. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

even those less-sought after older Technics tables sound really good, IMO, and you can find them for $100 or less, all day long

get a decent cartidge, and you're off to the races

17. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

You guys do realise the OP was 7 years ago right?

nitsuj likes this.
  18. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

Yes...

supermd likes this.
  19. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

:) I did not know that. Oh well, it might be of use to someone else.

20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

You do realize I brought this thread back from the dead and that all subsequent postings are aimed at me, right?

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.