Recommend a movie to me

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am looking for some good movies to watch. I would like you to recommend a movie to me. It must have been released prior to 2000 - (14 years or older) and I want you to tell me why you are recommending it. I am not nterested in a list of movies, so please only one recommendation per person. Please obeserve a time limit of one week before recommending another movie. Hopefully we will all find some great films that we may not even know existed. I will start with my recommendation.

My recommendation is "Mystery Date" I initially passed on this movie because I though it was based on the board game somehow. I finally rented the movie one night when were unable to find anything in the rental store to watch. I picked up the tape and began reading about the film. My wife looked at it, and since everything else we might have wanted to watch was already rented, we got the film, took it home and watched it.

The premise is this. Tom is obsessed with a beautiful neighbor, but he is too shy to ask her out. His older brother comes into town, finds out about his brother's dilema and sets up the date for Tom. Before the night is through Tom's date turns into a nightmare in a comedy of errors.

If you have never seen this movie give it a try. If you do and like, hit the like button.

Thanks for the read, and hopefully for your participation.

White Wolf.

2. sugarbuzz

sugarbuzz Forum Resident

You should watch "After Hours", a 1985 Martin Scorcese comedy. Griffin Dunne is an average working Joe who ventures into Soho one night and is led on a bizarre adventure. Darkly comedic, weird characters, well written - it's a real treat that a lot of people haven't seen.

3. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

[​IMG]

A 1982 film that is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Peter O'Toole is brilliant, and the rest of the cast is good, too. From Wikipedia:

Benjy Stone (Mark Linn-Baker), the narrator, tells of the summer (in his "favorite year" of 1954) he met his idol, swashbuckling actor Allan Swann (Peter O'Toole). In the early days of television, Benjy works as a junior comedy writer for a variety show starring Stan "King" Kaiser (Joseph Bologna). As a special upcoming guest, they get the still famous (though largely washed-up) Swann. However, when he shows up, they realize that he is a roaring drunk. Kaiser is ready to dump him, until Benjy intervenes and promises to keep him sober during the week leading up to the show.
    As Benjy watches out for Swann (or at least tries to keep up with him), they learn a lot about each other, including the fact that they both have family they try to hide from the rest of the world.

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Bossa Nova. A romantic story featuring adults, not kids, not thirtysomethings with perfect bodies, imperfect adults falling in love imperfectly and talking like real people.

5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

6. Kit2010

Kit2010 Too far gone

You don’t give many clues about your likes, but on the theme of games, The Game, starring Michael Douglas. Released in 1997, before everyone had a Playstation or Xbox, and flying in the face of cinematic conventions which would have us believe films about game-playing must involve Matrix/Existenz-esque special effects or Jumanjii/Zathura-esque fantasy. No sci-fi here. A classy thriller that had me mesmerized first time I saw it. The story? What do you get your brother for his birthday when he is extremely wealthy and already has everything money can buy? Perhaps, a part in a live-action role playing game. But what if the game goes bad and people start getting hurt, not least your brother?

[​IMG]

7. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

Hail the Conquering Hero. Not as well known as some other Preston Sturges films, but the funniest. Made in 1944, so it has some unflattering references to the Japanese.

Bill Hart and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  8. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Chilly Scenes Of Winter-based on an Ann Beattie novel it is about a bitterswet romance betwen two civil servants.On another level it is about sixties people trying to adjust to the seventies.Very fuuny in spots,and very moving in others.

9. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

Almost Famous 2000. Story about a young reporter touring with an up and coming rock band and the people he meets and the girl he falls in love with. Well written and acted. In my top 10.
    [​IMG]

10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I recommend The Station Agent with Peter Dinklage.

Off beat funny movie...

11. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

Not to everyone's taste but I think a gem of a film by Lynch call The Straight Story. Far far too slow for some people but I loved the pace, the cinematography, the acting, etc. Don't let the reference to Lynch fool you. This is not his normal fare. And if I recall correctly, the main actor died not long after the release of the film.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166896/

12. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

It's A Gift, 1934, staring W.C Fields.

Fields humor & comedy gel wonderfully in this slick little comedy classic. It's a 73 minute glimpse into Field's mind seen through the main character's Harold Bissonette's everyday life struggles.

I've enjoyed watching this movie for over 40 years now.

Myke likes this.
  13. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Happy Accidents from 2000 starring Vincent D'Onofrio and Marisa Tomei.

A perfect date movie since it's a combination of romantic comedy and science fiction (time travel).

14. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Craig, wavethatflag and andyinstal like this.
  15. andyinstal

andyinstal Runner for Others

Got permission from the OP to post a movie that is not pre 2000. In Bruges is about two hit men sent to Bruges Belgium to await further instructions. The film is funny and tragic at the same time, with Oscar worthy performances by the main characters. I was pleasantly surprised by this movie.
    [​IMG]

Hawkeye, Bill Hart, chumlie and 5 others like this.
  16. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

One of my faves! 'Seven Psychopaths' was a pretty good flick too! (But 'In Bruges' tops it).. :)

Craig and andyinstal like this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOVE THIS!!!

Hawkeye likes this.
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Family Man...from 2000, but it's so good it can sneak in under the wire.

Mal likes this.
  19. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Have you seen The Comancheros with John Wayne? Not his absolute best movie, story-wise, but great characters and amazing cinematography.

The blu-ray looks beautiful!

20. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Scarlet Street (1945).

Directed by Fritz Lang, it's one of a number of films noir he made that deserve far greater attention than they have received. Peerlessly directed, written and acted, it's simply a must-see.

[​IMG]

Note: I'm going to check out Mystery Date. It appears very much overlooked, so thanks for the heads-up.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  21. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Time Bandits

Saint Johnny likes this.
  23. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

First that came to mind:
    Winchester '73
    (1950)

Beautifully gritty, stark and bleak; this film was a B picture that Jimmy Stewart made in order to get the higher profile (and equally unforgettable) Harvey filmed. What made this so special was the addition of director Anthony Mann who had the screenplay rewritten as to not be so cliched.
    The result was not yet another low grade B Western like Universal expected. Winchester '73 was a bonafide hit that reinvigorated the ailing genre for years, and truly reinvented the way the legends of the open frontier could be depicted. This is truly a dark and desolate place, with gorgeously realistic yet bleak B&W cinematography-all tied into an extremely taut narrative that follows the path on the titular rifle and all those who lay hands on it.
    And somehow this seemingly hokey narrative device works perfectly. The cast is superb right down to the smallest supporting roles (Tony Curtis makes his first appearance in a bit part), and we see the great symbol of Americanism in a role as dark as his work for Hitchcock and just truly nasty throughout. Stewart and Mann made four further classic Westerns together (Bend of the River, Naked Spur, Far Country, Man From Laramie), and all feature this wonderful nasty, gritty, dark, vile, self-reliant, weathered version of Jimmy Stewart that once and for all proves just how damn fantastic of an actor he was. Here the persona is mere widow dressing. The last reel of this film is absolutely not the Jimmy the world knows.

This is about as honest a Western I've ever seen pre-Leone and Peckinpah. Destry most certainly rides no more in this world.

alexpop likes this.
  24. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

One False Move

From Wikipedia:
    If you haven't seen the movie, DO NOT read the plot synopsis in the Wikipedia entry - it gives away the entire plot.

25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

O Lucky Man!

Lindsay Anderson's 1973 satirical epic stars Malcolm McDowell as coffee salesman Mick Travis and his Candide-esque trials and tribulations through contemporary Britain, accompanied by Alan Price and his counterpoint score.

Definitely one of the best British films of the 1970's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.