Recommend a movie to me

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by white wolf, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

House of the Devil-Very eerie and atmospheric modern horror film that looks straight out of 1982. It could have easily been in a double feature next to Pieces or Mausoleum back in the Grindhouse days.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

if you have any youngsters around the house Cats & Dogs...heck, we liked it as well...they also made second one. Talking animals are fun!

carrick doone likes this.
  3. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

Night of the Hunter
    Great music
    Great photography
    Robert Mitchum, even better, EVIL Robert Mitchum
    I prefer the old DVD (Standard ratio) than the new Bluray (letterboxed), looks horrible letterboxed, and I am a long way from being convinced it was ever shown that way (I have seen it in the theater a couple of times, never was letterboxed, and I have yet to see anything that says it was meant to be letterboxed, article in Cinematographer magazine, specifically says it was NOT letterboxed, running against the trends at the time, also in B and W)

SBurke and JimC like this.
  4. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

I'd recommend Woman In The Dunes (1964) - a great Japanese film I saw a couple of weeks ago which I found quite haunting and thought-provoking. Just rent it and give it a watch, and I bet you'll have a lot to think about when it's over.

notesofachord and Roninblues like this.
  5. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Ozu's best.
    Tokyo Storyl.jpg

IronWaffle likes this.
  6. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

Good movie recommendation but you're kinda giving away the plot and some of the twists along the way.

Shawshank Redemption is my recommendation. There's something about prison movies I've always liked and this is one of the best. I'm not really a Tim Robbins fan but I have to admit he is great in this. As is Morgan Freeman and a great supporting cast. The setting is the 1930s thru the 1960s (IIRC), although it hardly means much in the context of prison. But its a journey you get to take with the characters. It might sound cliche but this movie will make you shudder, make you laugh and make you think. It will also make you want to see it again.

andyinstal likes this.
  7. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

MV5BMTQ1MTEzMDU0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDI2MTc0MQ@@._V1_SY500_SX351_.jpg Freeway, 1996/
    Starring a prefame, pre Legally Blonde Reese Witherspoon.
    A very twisted, take on "Little Red Riding Hood", very funny, biting satire.
    Almost over the top film making.

LEONPROFF likes this.
  8. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Bunny Lake Is Missing

rockerreds likes this.
  9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Stream it in HD on Hulu.

10. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

I'm sure OP has seen it but.. Can't have a movie rec thread without mentioning 1982's Blade Runner staring Harrison Ford, Sean Young, Rutger Hauer, Daryl Hannah and Edward James Olmos. Directed by Ridley Scott.

One of the best Sci-Fi flicks of all time in my opinion. Based on the Phillip K Dick novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
    I actually don't mind the original cut with Harrison's narration but Director's cut is better.

Great story, beautifully filmed. Good combo of Sci-Fi and a bit of noir while dealing with the deep theme of what it is to be human ...

More Human Than Human...

I'll take this over Star Wars IV all day...

Oh and a terrific soundtrack by Vangelis...

chumlie likes this.
  11. Repo Man, 'cause it's awesome. It's funny, it's offbeat, it has cool atmosphere to spare, it has a great soundtrack, it has the only performance from Emilio Estevez worth checking out, and it has Harry Dean Stanton.

Bill Hart and notesofachord like this.
  12. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Check out a 1984 British docudrama called Threads. It focuses on the city of Sheffield (England) after a nuclear attack and it's very well done and truly discomforting.

13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Get Carter - the original 1971 version. Why? You don't mess with an enforcer's family, especially not his brother, that's why.
    [​IMG]

14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Just Friends...

15. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Another 80s movie I haven't gotten around to watching. Thanx for the reminder.

16. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

The Magic Christian:

[​IMG]

It's got Ringo of The Beatles (haha, made it a Beatles thread :D ) It's a who's who of stars. Peter Sellers, Ringo Starr, Spike Milligan, Graham Chapman, John Le Messieur, Frank Thornton etc..... It's also very Milligan/Pythonesque with the whole movie going in random directions.

17. If you want something different then how about Peter Watkins CULLODEN from the 60's

It brings history alive with no ********

18. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

All classics that any 'greatest films of all time' list would likely include, but in addition to some of those mentioned above (which I 'liked'), I would recommend:
    The Third Man- shot on location in post-war Vienna, with odd camera angles, a strange zither music score by Anton Karas, and the infamous scene at the Ferris Wheel, a dark, strangely whimsical look at the post-war world that leaves the bitter taste of cynicism with you long after the closing credits.
    Sunset Blvd.- classic Billy Wilder, hits all the buttons of 'old Hollywood' creepiness, Eric Von Stroheim is pitch-perfect and there is hardly a mis-step. One I can watch again and again.
    The Big Carnival a/k/a Ace in the Hole- an even darker Billy Wilder script, about a man trapped in a mountain and the media circus that ensues. Written and produced long before griping about media was as common as the headcold, this is a movie that will leave you unsettled.
    Rebecca- stunningly dark romance, the Hitchock way, which brings to the screen a haunted quality that rarely translates from a book of the same title.
    Wages of Fear- the desperation of men, writ large on mountain passes, seeking to fulfill a dangerous mission. No need for special effects; the writing, cinemaphotography and pace will make you sweat like no big modern Hollywood thriller can.

GuildX700 and notesofachord like this.
  19. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

"They Were Expendable" John Ford's remarkably unsentimental view of WWII.

"Sweet Smell of Success" Alexander Mackendrick's Hollywood Noir.

"Phil Kaufmann's "Great Northfield Minnesota Raid"

junk likes this.
  20. notesofachord

Angels with Dirty Faces - my favorite movie with "The Dead End Kids" and probably my favorite gangster movie. If you're not bawling your eyes out during the final execution scene, well...

GuildX700 likes this.
  21. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Field Of Dreams 1989.

I First heard the book Shoeless Joe while driving to work every day on Chapter A Day on public radio.

Now mind you I hate sports, especially baseball, but that book pulled me in, not sure why other than years back hearing the story from my dad one time about Shoeless Joe, a long forgotten conversation, nothing special.

Fast forward: Years later at McDonalds of all places they were giving away VHS tapes, I got Field Of Dreams, had no idea it was from the book Shoeless Joe.

Plugged it in one night and watched it.

I've been hooked ever since, I honestly don't even know why. So....give it a try, perhaps it'll pull you in too.

andyinstal likes this.
  22. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Mr. Wolf, can it be a foreign film? Some people react to these by saying, "Wait, that's one of those ones where I gotta read?"

23. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

[​IMG]

Alvin Purple and it's sequel Alvin Rides Again. Low brow Australian Sex-Comedy at it's best. Not for children, contains full-frontal nudity.

24. notesofachord

The Informant starring Matt Damon is one of those "real life is funnier/more bizarre than fiction" films that works well.

25. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

The Count of Monte Cristo with Jim Caviezel, Guy Pearce and Richard Harris. This came out before Caviezel's role in Person of Interest but the casting of this movie is spot on (esp. Richard Harris and Luis Guzman). This is the second "prison movie" I've recommended, but there is quite a bit more to this one than the prison aspect. This movie seems to have it all: action, suspense, mystery, romance, redemption. Richard Harris as the older mentor / neighboring inmate is wonderful. There are many scenes in this movie that feel 'epic'; the shipyards, the mansion, even some of the fields.

If you haven't seen this one you owe it to yourself to watch it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.