Recommend a program for creating DVD-A discs (not audio dvd creator)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vudicus, Nov 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking for a program where I can create and burn dvd-a discs. (16/44 and 24/96).

I've used audio dvd creator and I find it very annoying.
    It's easy to use but it seems to have a high fail rate.
    I've created several dvd-a files and burnt them with nero, but many of them play fine for a bit and then the audio jumps all over the place.

Are there any better programs out there?

2. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Quite few threads on this here. Cirlinca HD Solo is the usual choice. The Minnetonka programs are much more expensive alternatives. DVD-Audiofile works but you'd have to find someone to send you a copy; it was free but is apparently no longer available.

Kelvin60, C6H12O6 and vudicus like this.
  3. vudicus

Excellent, many thanks for the info.

4. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

DVD Audio Extractor 2

5. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Why would you assume the failure rate is down to the software rather than the media or the hardware? That seems counter-intuitive to me.

6. vudicus

Well, I use the same discs for all forms of burning with several different programs and have no issues.
    I burn discs using nero, imgburn and other programs without issue. I have tried different external and internal disc drives to see if this would help. It did not.
    When I use dvd audio creator the problems arise. Therefore, naturally I am going to assume it's the weak link.

It often stops working when you are trying to create the disc image (prior to burning) and is quite frankly, a pain the rear.
    Hence, why I want to find a better program.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  7. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

What is your OS?

8. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I have been using Cirlinca's DVD-Audio Solo v4.4 for years. They have since replaced it with a better program that I believe does Blu-Rays. DVD Audio Solo has always worked perfectly for me and allows me to put JPEGS of images onto the DVD-A's on a track-by-track basis. It was a lot of fun with the Dylan "Cutting Edge" 24/96 downloads because I could put different slideshows on each track from the books that came with the set.

c-eling and rbbert like this.
  9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The developer of DVD-Audiofile has once again made available a Windows version. I know this works on Windows 7, haven't tried it on Windows 10.

Index of /~scb/dvdaudiofile »

10. vudicus

I ended up buying HD-Audio Solo Ultra 4.4 and I cannot praise it enough, exactly what I needed.

Kelvin60 likes this.
  11. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Doesn't work here at all.

12. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Where is "here"? Do you mean Windows 10 or something else?

13. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Here on my system that happens to be running Windows 10. I was able to find a key for the truly ancient "Audio DVD Creator" software I purchased going on 10 years ago and I can't believe it but it still works! I'm making 96/24 DVDs of my Paul McCartney box set downloads. Oddly enough my Sony STR-DA4ES receiver apparently can not do bass management on a 96/24 digital signal, and neither can my Sony DVP-NS775V SACD/DVD player. The Technics DVD-A10 as usual won't play burnt discs of any kind including these. I have to play back in my Panasonic DVD-F87 5 disc DVD-Audio changer and run through the analog cables to get bass management.

14. NDP

NDP New Member

This allowed the DVD-Audiofile for me on W10, should work on onlder versions also...

• Open the Control Panel
    • Go to System
    • Go to Advanced Systems Properties
    • Then Environment Variables
    • In System Variables, click Add
    • New Variable Name: _JAVA_OPTIONS
    • New Variable Value: -Xmx512M
    • Click OK

15. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Hey rbbert,
    I found your posts linking to the Mac version of this software and the Java workaround as well - it seems to work! I still haven't tested it to see if it was truly gapless, and for some reason it only works with FLAC files (using WAV or AIFF files creates empty ISO files for some reason - I have to convert them back into FLAC's first), but otherwise this is the first time in several years that I've been able to burn a true DVD-A on a Mac.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.