Recommend a SS Amp For $1k or Less

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaveC113, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I need as neutral a solid state amp as possible, no class D, for a budget of $1k or less. I'm looking used to increase my bang for the buck.

The speakers it will be used for will be around 95 dB efficient but will be able to handle a couple hundred watts, and I want an amp that can push them pretty hard to test them out.

I've been looking at what's out there and the Proceed HPA-2 or BPA-2 seem like good choices with the HPA amps having double the power at 250W vs the BPA's 125W rating. The BPA is a bit less money, but it might not have quite enough power. The HPA has a rep for being a very robust, powerful amp that can drive anything from what I've read... this speaker should be an easy load and will be efficient, so not sure if the HPA is overkill.

Also found the Parasound 2250 at 250W to be within my budget.

I don't know much about SS amps so please help! :wave:

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

I owned a Proceed BPA-3 a few years ago and will say it was one serious amp. I was only using 2 channels but I think it was one of the best sounding 125 watt amps I've heard. Very large and heavy as hell also.

3. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

AVI Laboratory Series. 250wpc and good examples can still be found. £1500 on release and they shipped some to America from memory.

4. Sam

Sam Senior Member

May I suggest the used market. For about 1K, you can get into some really older high-end stuff. I got into an older Krell KSA 100 for about a $1200 trade, and I could not be happier. A serious high-end SS amp for little money in comparison to what one would have to pay today for a new amp of similar quality.

5. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Used? Quad 909.

6. DaveC113

Yes, used preferred. Proceed has been out of business for long time...

Thanks for the suggestions thus far!

7. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Sonneteer Campion. Can usually be had for just under $1,000. One of the most neutral, yet musical and fatigue-free solid state amplifiers I've had the pleasure to own or hear in that price range. Highly recommended. Another great one would be the Blue Circle CS.

8. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Used is your best bet: Bryston and McIntosh (like a 7100 or a refurbished 2505) immediately come to mind.

I recently bought a nice McIntosh MC2100 for $600 and couldn't be happier. No, it's not the best amplifier I've ever heard, but for the price, the performance is hard to beat.

Even cheaper: I would also recommend the venerable B&K ST-140, or even an Adcom 555 but those are getting a bit long in the tooth.

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Aragon 4004 or its brethren.

10. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Look into Rotel. Amps like the RB-1080 are solid. Used prices are well under your budget.

bradleyc likes this.
  11. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I just bought a used ARC D240mkII in that range. Among the best sounding SS amps I have heard.

12. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Agree with the above suggestion of a used Bryston. This listing (not mine) gets close to your price range -- keep looking and you'll find one.

Must ask -- why no Class D? I use a Wyred 4 Sound STI-500 and think very highly of it.

13. DaveC113

Thanks for the recommendations, I ended up working out a trade for an Odyssey Stratos amp with upgrades... :pineapple:

motorcitydave and johnnypaddock like this.
  14. DaveC113

I agree class D amps can sound great but they are much more tweaky than conventional amps and respond very strongly and unpredictably to changes in the rest of the system. I need this amp for a speaker design I'm working on, so I need an amp that is neutral and not at all tweaky. The Odyssey should do a good job driving any speaker it's hooked up to.

15. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

16. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I had an Odyssey Khartago awhile back and absolutely loved it. Enjoy that Stratos.

17. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Rega Brio R!! Can't believe I'm the first to mention this rockin' little beast.

Ntotrar likes this.
  18. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Second the Brio R.

19. I'd also look at Emotiva, made in Nashville TN. Looks like a decent line and priced right

20. timind

timind phorum rezident

Made in TN? Assuming TN is a city in China?

motorcitydave, ls35a and Ntotrar like this.
  21. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The Kenwood Basic M1 could get the job done for $200.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.