Recommend me some good Stoner Rock!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

Be careful with this one. It's the frying pan they throw the eggs in.

Track list
    1. Downer
    2. Devil
    3. I Don't Want Nobody
    4. Day Tripper
    5. Mother and Child Reunion
    6. Things Yet to Come
    7. Rain
    8. Rainbow
    9. Walkin' the Dog
    10. Live for the Day
    11. Rebel

Attached Files:

2. Toka

Toka Active Member

Its not as bad as it was a few years ago...still has its own weird vibe, but a lot of the real jerks are long gone...now the only problems are the shut-in mental patient types, but they are more amusing than annoying.

3. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

i did come back about 6 months ago, and one particular idiot was just, well, an idiot. totally up his own ****. no names, but he put me off that site for good.

4. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

Sprague Dawley likes this.
  5. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Plus Powertrip and Spine of God. In fact anything and everything by Monster Magnet. IMO the only "current" band carrying on the classic sound of Hawkwind, Stooges and Sabbath.:righton:

6. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I still have a fondness for the "red" album and "Closer To Home"!!:cool:

Glenn coates likes this.
  7. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

I would second the recommendations for Atomic Bitchwax (but only the line-up with Ed Mundell!), Masters of reality (great great band, and consistent in quality through all their different line-ups), Monster magnet (Spine of god, Superjudge, and Dopes to Infinity!).

8. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

While not entirely original, Kyuss really are the godfathers of modern stoner rock. They have spawned or inspired virtually everything that came after them (maybe Monster Magnet excluded) and then those guys spawned more bands and so and so on.

I was fortunate enough to see Kyuss one of the two times they ever played in Massachusetts and it was opening for Danzig. Full on blizzard that night and my car even got towed off the street! I met Josh Homme many years later and mentioned that show and the blizzard and he said, "we were just talking about that the other day!"

I personally prefer Kyuss' Welcome To Sky Valley. It is a true epic and the CD is even broken up into only 3 tracks to encourage listening to the entire record! Blues for the Red Sun and ...And The Circus Leaves Town are solid too. You can skip Wretch. Not that great of a record.

Definitely check out Stonerrock.com as someone just pointed out. They have an MP3 jukebox on there so you can rock out all day to your hearts content.

turnersmemo likes this.
  9. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Brightblack Morning Light will get you high just listening to them on headphones...

ramdom likes this.
  10. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

i think Kyuss are one of the only original heavy rock bands of the last 15 years. what sounds like Sky Valley, both songwriting and production, or any of their big three albums for that matter?

ramdom and berndt like this.
  11. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

The first thing I realized when I heard "Rated R" by Queens Of The Stone Age is how original they sounded!

12. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

It's hard to read this with a straight face while seeing you in a penguin suit.

13. Henry the Horse

Henry the Horse Active Member

Band- "Flash", album-" In The Can"

Glenn coates likes this.
  14. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

Ditto for the Queens...amazing band and a lot of fun. Also check out Ween and the Flaming Lips.

15. Matt Levy

Matt Levy Forum Resident

Although not "stoner rock" by definition, Phish did me justice for well over a decade in various states of mind. To experience them though, start with the live stuff.

Of course, there is always the classic Cheech and Chong albums, which are timeless and hilarious.

16. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

not in the UK its not! the album was split up into the individual songs. and rightly so to, as that means i can skip N.O.!
    another thing with that album, though not something that matters, is that nobody knows if its called Welcome to Sky Valley or just Sky Valley. Everyone i've ever known has always called it Sky Valley. but like i said, that doesnt matter!

interesting listening Circus, you can really hear the direction QOTSA would take. Something like the riff on Gloria Lewis is basically a slower, sludgier QOTSA. Personally, i dont think QOTSA have ever matched Kyuss in terms of quality.

Another Kyuss release so far not mentioned is the Muchas Gracias compilation. It collects some great songs like Un Sanpiper, Fatso Forgotso and Shine, but beware the sound quality. I dont think the band had anything to do with this release, and it sounds pretty watered down. Demon Cleaner is unlistenable on it - no bass at all.

and with all this talk of Kyuss, no mention of Unida yet?
    John Garcia's band, they put out one great album on Mans Ruin about 6 years ago. Totally straight up hard rock. and very very rocking it is too. Better than QOTSA by a mile if you ask me. THey also recorded a second album, but whatever label they recorded it for didnt put it out. there were plenty of opportunities to download it at the time, but i held out thinking it would eventually be released. hasnt been so far...........

17. Juan Samus

Juan Samus New Member

The first Queens Of The Stone Age album is incredible. They keep putting out good albums but nothing has topped the first one.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  18. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

nothing has topped the 3 songs on the split EP with Kyuss!

19. Juan Samus

Juan Samus New Member

Have you heard the split with Beaver? "The Bronze" is undoubtedly their greatest song ever.

20. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

i have! i'm hoping one day my Mans Ruins stuff will be worth something!
    not sure i'd call it their greatest song though. i think i actually prefer Beaver's Morocco on that split.

21. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Don't forget SloBurn (only had an EP that went out of print in like 5 seconds) and Hermano, who has a few records out. SloBurn even played the first Ozzfest tour on the second stage.

Spinmeout likes this.
  22. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

23. Figment

Figment Forum Resident

I have not read through all 5 pages of this, but has nobody mentioned Electric Wizard yet? The UK counterpart to Sleep! Their first 3 records are essential!

I also second the recommendation on Slo Burn. Awesome record.

turnersmemo likes this.
  24. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

i like Electric Wizard's Dopethrone although i am not a big fan of the vocals. the cover art is amazing.

ramdom likes this.
  25. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Man this is an amusing thread :)

Maybe we should all shout out to the original poster-

1)Do you want some cool music to listen to stoned? or

2)Do you want to hear some cool music made by bands that have the comtemperary label "Stoner"

Grand Funk Railroad may be a great band to get stoned to but they not a "Stoner rock" band!!!!!

I did see a few pleas to read the actual defination on Wikipedia-please do. There is a specific defination that weeds out at least half of the bands mentioned...

Most of my favorite Stoner bands have already been mentioned. I would recommend Queens of the Stone Age for those folks looking to try the "Stoner-Rock " sound. Their sound is heavy but also having melodic touches and good vocals-pretty accessable.

Bands like Electric Wizard (who are very good as well) will undoubtedly be way too heavy and over the top for the casual Grand Funk/Phish fan.

The Sword is my current favorite Stoner band but I also dig Boris and Sgt Sunshine.

Cheers :)

turnersmemo and Sprague Dawley like this.