Recommend me some good Stoner Rock!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

I think that one of the best stoner tunes of all time has to be Ted Nuget - Stranglehold.

2. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Some good stuff on this list. While most would say that the modern stoner bands try and rip off Kyuss, none of them even come close. In terms of overall sound, Lowrider is the closest that I've heard. I wasn't aware that the disc was reissued with bonus tracks!

Ironically from a non-stoner....

3. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Nebula - Let It Burn (Live in Belgium '06)

Seen them live 3 times, and they are so good it's frightening. Eddie Glass is am amazing guitarist, and on their best days they blow anybody off the stage. Really organic Sabbathy stoner. Would recommend their albums "To The Center", "Let It Burn" and "Dos EPs". :righton:

4. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I have a few of their records and saw them in the late 90s at TT The Bears in Cambridge, MA. Place holds like 100 people. In my opinion, they've pretty much been making the same record since the first one.

5. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Nebula was awesome from '97-2000. i saw every LA show they did then, a true 'groupie', i suppose. but they were friends. i had parties when they'd play Spaceland, across the street, and everything. those were fun times, and they really cooked back then. they never got their concert sound down correctly on tape, IMHO. Let It Burn and the 'Sun Creature' EP are probably the best representations of Nebula.

6. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

I second that they're first and foremost a live band. Saw them for the first time in 2000, and that is one of the best gigs I've ever seen.

7. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

COC's last CD was incredible. strange mix, but what an album! one of the best of 2005 and kind of overlooked, IMO.

please explain. do you know the song titles? i have so much stuff on cassette that i haven't touched in years, i wonder if i have it. i have the only test pressing ever made for their four-song EP on Malicious Vinyl. i was friends with their A&R guy, and he had no use for it once the finished product was pressed so he gave it to me. i've played it maybe three times. what they say about test pressings is true--it sounds so f'n killer with HUGE bass. as good as the master tape, IMO. Slo Burn was the other band that i saw every LA show they played in '96-'97, including their second ever gig at the Viper Room in April '96 w/ Bigelf and Fu Manchu (with Eddie and Reuben)--the best stoner rock show of all-time, IMO. they were so tight live, i really thought they were going places when they signed to Red Ant in '97. they recorded a full-length album that remains in the vaults. a shame we'll never hear it as originally intended.

PS. Reuben Romano is still one of the TOP rock drummers i've ever seen.

8. Ocean Machine

Ocean Machine Member

Monster Magnet - Dopes to Infinity
    It's like a soundtrack to a stoner sci-fi movie, a classic.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  9. That's it, it's the Red Ant release. Apparently 1000 official copies were made and given out at shows (so I've heard). There's more info about it here and here. I have heard it and wish I had an original but whenever they come up on Ebay they tend to go for close to $200 :(

RE COC, I have em all, including the Japan releases where applicable IE when they have bonus cuts. My (gone now) friend Mark W. got me into them - thanks buddy :thumbsup:

-s1m0n

10. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

If slo burn did release a full album that never got released, then john garcia has to be one of the most shafted people in rock.
    Unida's second album never came out either - it was leaked on downloads but i always held out expecting it be released eventually.
    wish i had grabbed a copy now.

i wonder what the relationship between Homme and Garcia is nowadays?
    i've always wished that Homme would give a little publicity to Garcia now he's a "star" the same way Cobain did to all those little indie bands.
    maybe the two just dont get on nowadays?

11. woody

woody Forum Resident

came along to this thread on a search so forgive me if i'm repeating others, it's kind of a long thread.

if you're into the vinyl i can highly recommend dead meadow's old growth lp. haven't heard the cd, but these guys rock.

i'll also add the black angels and the band vietnam to this list if they haven't been mentioned.

of course brian jonestown massacre,spaceman three and spiritualized.

and check out dead confederate.

12. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

I found Spirit Caravan's Jug Fulla Sun for $5 a few weeks ago...didn't even realize it was hard to find nowadays ($77 on amazon!). I still need to hear The Church Within...

13. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

If you can find Spirit Caravan's "Last Embrace", it's a great sounding compilation that covers all their releases, plus some previously unheard tracks. Classic Wino.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  14. Coldacre

Coldacre Well-Known Member

Kyuss "Blues For The Red Sun"

15. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

I haven't read through all 7 pages (yet), but has anyone mentioned Abdullah?

16. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Obsessed

wow, i didn't know Jug Fulla was fetching that much. it's a good album, no doubt, but Church Within is 'top ten stoner rock of all-time' material...easy (IMHO).

17. 905

905 Senior Member

I've never been stoned (I'm into some of the legal drugs, though) but I always thought of Blue Oyster Cult as some good stoner rock. Especially the first four or five studio albums...

drobo likes this.
  18. I was gonna mention these guys - they make me think of what High on Fire might have sounded like if they'd formed in 1970. Heavy rock with some acid edges. I saw them open for Trail of Dead a couple of years ago and they rocked pretty effectively.

19. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

The Parlor Mob

check these guys out. five New Jersey dudes in their early 20's with a jones for MC5, Zeppelin, Cream, and Sabbath and solid footing in the blues. i love the sound and the songs. it's a solid debut album, i mean GREAT. i've seen them live and they're the real deal. the disc will rack May 6 [on Roadrunner, mastered by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman's].

www.theparlormobmusic.com

Amazon page with song samples [one of my fave tracks is 'Real Hard Headed']

Attached Files:

20. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Hmm.....I will have to check them out.

I have heard some tracks off the new Sword album and they were quite good.

21. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Armageddon S/T (1975) This is early Prog-Metal at its best!

drobo likes this.
  22. mfp

mfp Senior Member

I saw Witchcraft live, and even though they were great, I liked the other band on the bill better: Danava. Definitely one of the best concerts I've ever seen.
    I'm not sure Danava qualifies as stoner rock (as I'm not sure what stoner rock means), but if you like Sabbath, this is the band for you.

23. mrvegas

mrvegas Forum Resident

WOW! You're really getting INTO IT!!!

How would you say the recording quality is, in general, on this type of music?

24. The Great One

The Great One formerly known as SCARSE

you could also try "come on die young" by Mogwai

25. Nebin

Nebin New Member

My treefrog (species Agalychnis callidryas y granadilla)
    says Stoner Rock rules!
    It Rules!!!:laugh:

Attached Files: